Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know both were tested and work fine with IPS K2 cams. I also know the OEMs and the Todas can goto 8,500 safely and the Eibach can do around 9,000.

Now lies my question I've heard Eibachs aren't as long-lasting and I'd probably take them to 8,600 max because I lack anything in the bottom end. I've heard mixed things about Todas. What I'm getting at here is how long will the three last if both didn't go over the rpms I listed?

I've been leaning towards the Eibachs for the higher rpm and the ability to leave them alone if I start working on the block but if they have to be checked and replaced alot I'd rather go with the OEMs.

I'd also like to know if there's any difference or roughness at idle between the three.

The last one would be since both the Todas and the OEMs can goto 8,500 which would be better?

My main goal would be to have a reliable setup that will generally last a good amount of time.

I have the 04 type S.
Thanks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you're not going to make power above 8500rpm and do not wish to fortify your short block, then stick to the OEM combo. If you intend to build your motor down the line, go for the Eibach EVS w/ Ti retainers. Our various cam applications have different max safe rpm limits with the same Eibach EVS spring. If you are roadracing and do 8-10 events per year, constantly revving near or at redline - then you may consider an inspection at the end of the season. If your primary use is a daily driver and/or occasional drag then most likely the springs will outlive your built motor even through a couple rebuilds/refreshes, barring any catastrophic and unforeseen failure.

The Eibach EVS is the preferred spring for quality and performance.

-Ron

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do a few drags a year and a few autocrosses. I already have the Toda's which is the main thing but I have no problem selling them.

Just an off hand question if I can't get rid of them to trade over to Eibach, what retainers would match up with them or could I use the stock 04's?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been doing more research and if I can't sell these toda springs I'll probably go with the reccomended Eibachs but installed at OEM height (If that's possible?) for longetivity if not anything else, but my question is what would be the advantage of having them at race height? I don't plan on it as I can't check my springs on a regular bassis but I'd like to know the difference between putting them at that between putting them at a different height.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i'm bumping this old ass thread because someone asked me a very good question about the "OEM combo" valvetrain:

who tested it out?
how was it tested?
how was it concluded that this combination is suitable for K2's?
also, who else can vouch for them? (other than the selected few i have spoken to)

·
Registered
144 Posts
http://www.intrinsicperformance.com/engineering.html
IPS designed the cams to work with the OEM combo.
i almost devoped a migraine reading most of that LOL

"IPS-K2's do require upgraded valve train, but we've identified an OEM combo that performs well for the given application."

i'm just wondering how they "identified" that this specific combo is the best for the K2 application.

·
Registered
324 Posts
IPS cams are also engineered to use commonly available, high quality and inexpensive off the shelf stock Honda valve springs.
^^^Third question, second to the last line in the answer, in the IPS-K2 FAQ.

Like I said before, IPS designed the cams to work with the OEM combo.

And it mentions they use a spintron (valvetrain testing device).

·
Registered
144 Posts
^^^Third question, second to the last line in the answer, in the IPS-K2 FAQ.

Like I said before, IPS designed the cams to work with the OEM combo.

And it mentions they use a spintron (valvetrain testing device).
yeah, now that i read it instead of skimming like i did the first time (at work trying to look busy lol), you basically go under the assumption using common sense that they tested all the OEM K20A2 springs available and found this combination to handle the most lift and duration. they don't exactly state that, so one can only assume the most logical explaination.

i guess i was looking for a more detailed explaination of how they came about the whole OEM combo valvetrain, and the exact benefits versus, lets say, the K20A/DC5R valvetrain.

·
Registered
749 Posts
yeah, now that i read it instead of skimming like i did the first time (at work trying to look busy lol), you basically go under the assumption using common sense that they tested all the OEM K20A2 springs available and found this combination to handle the most lift and duration. they don't exactly state that, so one can only assume the most logical explaination.

i guess i was looking for a more detailed explaination of how they came about the whole OEM combo valvetrain, and the exact benefits versus, lets say, the K20A/DC5R valvetrain.
I think the 'just of it is that they found the specific combination of listed OEM parts were safe to run the IPS Cams on but the 100% stock valvetrain was not safe up to 8500RPMs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, because sometimes you have to hear it a few times before you will accept it. Everything in this thread is only a re-wording of what was originally stated by the manufacturer.
right, and i was wondering how they went about finding that combination.
okay, so maybe they used a valvetrain tester, but he doesn't directly state that, nor why this specific OEM combination is suitable to run with his cams.

are they just the stiffest?
are there any downfalls as opposed to the original valvetrain configurations setup by the factory?
are they not ideal for certain applications?
are they the best choice for all OEM applications if rebuilding your engine, but not going with aftermarket cams?
what is the benefit versus running just the single yellow spring?

you know..logical questions like that..

not just, ron said so, so it must be okay no matter what.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts