Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hope someon out there can help, i had a search through the forum but couldnt find a difinitive answer, anyway!...

I have come accross a set of UKDM EP3 driveshafts at a good price, i have a 97 EK hatch which im swapping a K20/K24 into and will be using a DC2 subframe with hasport EKK2 mounts or hybrid racing's equivilent (not decided just yet!), now im under the impression this "in theory" will basically make the set up similar to a standard EG/DC, and im also under the impression that some are using off the shelf OEM RSX axles without any changes other than swap the outers for b-series

so id imagine the EP3 and RSX axles are the same?, if so, am i right in assuming that the EP3 axles will work no problems?

thanks in advance! :)

al9955

·
Registered
56 Posts
I thought they would work, too- but they didn't. I have a 96 hatch, used a 98 Integra subframe, and Hasport EKK2 mounts. I had the EP3 axles (US car) since someone told me they'd work. The driver's axle looked good (maybe it was just a hair short), but the pass axle was too short. I got a set of Hasport axles and they were perfect. I meant to measure the difference between them, but I guess we forgot since we were so anxious to put in the Hasport's when they showed up...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for that dude!, saves me finding out at a critical stage later on that they didnt work!:silly:

al9955

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have EKK2's with rsx-x axles (36mm hubs). I would think rsx-s and base are the same lengths besides the size of the hub ends. Mines fits perfectly. Has anyone tried switching the inners around? i heard it helps with the lengths.

·
Registered
325 Posts
ive got hasport ekk2 mounts. ive use stock RSX Type-S axels with circutworx hubs and it fits like a charm. plus circutworx hubs comes with extended wheel studs, just incase you want to slap on some slicks ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm ok so some mixed anwsers then, well there cheap enough, so i buy them and see what happens! :D

cheers guys!

al9955

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
nah dude, my EK is running UKDM ITR 5 stud setup, which is still 32mm like all b-series stuff :)

al9955
whaaaaaat? UK ITR's use 32mm??? that's ODD...

I'm actually in the middle of testing A2 and A3 OEM axle setups at the moment.

My findings so far.

(US) K20A2 axles w/swapped around shafts and using DC2 outter joints: both seem to hold up fine for daily driving, but upon road race use - BINDING OCCURED resulting crazy friction and ballooned the outter axle boots and boiling the grease. Now axles click when turning. What I should've done is used A3 outter joints (instead of DC2) which I've been told have a deeper cup and longer bearings for more axle play. Now that I've trialed and errored my ways I'm becoming a believer :rolleyes:

(US) A3 axles as is: passenger side too short (you can see this when installing the axle, the inner boot is stretched out) inner joint fell apart on test drive! Driver side is fine though.

Supertwinz says for K20 EK swaps (Ekk1 or Ekk2 kits) using a 92-01 prelude passenger side shaft with K-series inner + outter joints is the perfect fit. No binding, leaking, or anything of the sort.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whaaaaaat? UK ITR's use 32mm??? that's ODD...

I'm actually in the middle of testing A2 and A3 OEM axle setups at the moment.

My findings so far.

(US) K20A2 axles w/swapped around shafts and using DC2 outter joints: both seem to hold up fine for daily driving, but upon road race use - BINDING OCCURED resulting crazy friction and ballooned the outter axle boots and boiling the grease. Now axles click when turning. What I should've done is used A3 outter joints (instead of DC2) which I've been told have a deeper cup and longer bearings for more axle play. Now that I've trialed and errored my ways I'm becoming a believer :rolleyes:

(US) A3 axles as is: passenger side too short (you can see this when installing the axle, the inner boot is stretched out) inner joint fell apart on test drive! Driver side is fine though.

Supertwinz says for K20 EK swaps (Ekk1 or Ekk2 kits) using a 92-01 prelude passenger side shaft with K-series inner + outter joints is the perfect fit. No binding, leaking, or anything of the sort.
yeah they do, havent a clue why!

thanks for the info buddy, so being in the UK, i need to look for a drivers side prelude shaft, is it from any particular model prelude? (as in 2.0/2.2/2.3)

cheers!

al9955

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
yeah they do, havent a clue why!

thanks for the info buddy, so being in the UK, i need to look for a drivers side prelude shaft, is it from any particular model prelude? (as in 2.0/2.2/2.3)

cheers!

al9955
Super says any 92-01 prelude model will work for pass. side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts