Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been confused :confused: for a long time about what the obd1 or obd2 system is and how it works. I have a eg hatch (with odb1 I believe) and i plan on swaping a k20a into it, so i want to get this issue cleared up before i go any further. what exactly is an obd1 system how will it affect the swap? also i plan on using the stock ecu for awhile.

thanks people for any and all help :up:

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
lollypopking said:
I have been confused :confused: for a long time about what the obd1 or obd2 system is and how it works. I have a eg hatch (with odb1 I believe) and i plan on swaping a k20a into it, so i want to get this issue cleared up before i go any further. what exactly is an obd1 system how will it affect the swap? also i plan on using the stock ecu for awhile.

thanks people for any and all help :up:
OK ILL TRY THIS ONE BUT ILL SUCK huuuuuu
THE WIRING IS DIFFERENT IN A OBD1-OBD2 AND K MOTORS.
THE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT PROGRAMS AND THE HARNESSES ARE ALL DIFFERENT, SO IT WOULD BE IMPOSSABLE TO USE A "b"sERIES ECU ON A K SERIES MOTOR. THE ECU TELLS THE ENGINE HOW MUCH FUEL, AIR AND SO ON. I LOVE OBD 1 BUT SO LONG. NOW EVERY TIME YOU PUT ANYTHING ON YOUR CAR YOU HAVE TO TELL THE ECU WHAT YOU DID OR IT WILL NOT HAVE A GREAT OUTCOME. THATS WHAT HONDATA IS ALL ABOUT. OOO YAH

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
:eek:
remyrounds said:
OK ILL TRY THIS ONE BUT ILL SUCK huuuuuu
THE WIRING IS DIFFERENT IN A OBD1-OBD2 AND K MOTORS.
THE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT PROGRAMS AND THE HARNESSES ARE ALL DIFFERENT, SO IT WOULD BE IMPOSSABLE TO USE A "b"sERIES ECU ON A K SERIES MOTOR. THE ECU TELLS THE ENGINE HOW MUCH FULE, AIR AND SO ON. I LOVE OBD 1 BUT SO LONG. NOW EVERY TIME YOU PUT ANYTHING ON YOUR CAR YOU HAVE TO TELL THE CPU WHAT YOU DID OR IT WILL NOT HAVE A GREAT OUTCOME.
I told you guys that would suck. :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
You can still run the Stock ECU can't you? you just have to get the imobilizer removed?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I keep reading that you can use the stock ecu. for the type r you only need the bypass the immobilizer from what i understand. but beyond a progammable ecu, i don't know how i can use use it in my eg. i mean going from obdI to obdII. keep reading that you have to "disable" it. dont know how to do that, and i dont know how that will affect the motor emissions wise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts