Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey K20, im 17 with an 01 civic EX(giving to me as a gift), all my mods are cosmetic, and i joined K20, just trying to learn as much as i can. So thanks for answering questions so detailed, it is really helping me out.

Random question, If i where to do a K20a2 swap, what gauges(speedometer/tachometer) would i have to get to match the new power of the engine?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey K20, im 17 with an 01 civic EX(giving to me as a gift), all my mods are cosmetic, and i joined K20, just trying to learn as much as i can. So thanks for answering questions so detailed, it is really helping me out.

Random question, If i where to do a K20a2 swap, what gauges(speedometer/tachometer) would i have to get to match the new power of the engine?
ur stock will work just fine. the power of ur enine has nothing to do with ur gauges

·
Registered
31 Posts
ur stock will work just fine. the power of ur enine has nothing to do with ur gauges
Not completely true. Your stock will work fine until you decide you want to change the rev limiter. So it all depends on what your going to be doing with the K. Running it stock? Going Turbo? Rebuild with Engine Management?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
^^^hmmm...i dont get it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well here's the deal the EM2's cluster only reads up to 8'000. Some people when going turbo and using Kpro or AEM or whichever engine management system you want, you change the rev limit, some of the times above 8,000. It all depends on how you tune or have someone tune it. Really I wouldn't worry about it until you get to that stage.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
u can still rev past 8000 without changing the cluster. cluster wont affect the performance of the car..

even then when u tune ur car u still dont need the cluster to read past 8000rpm. all ur readings for the rpm and fuel and everything is read and recorded thorugh the ecu.

even then if ur making that much power and need to see where ur reving to and when to shift... then u should already have an aftermarket tach with a shift light anyways

·
Registered
31 Posts
u can still rev past 8000 without changing the cluster. cluster wont affect the performance of the car..

even then when u tune ur car u still dont need the cluster to read past 8000rpm. all ur readings for the rpm and fuel and everything is read and recorded thorugh the ecu.

even then if ur making that much power and need to see where ur reving to and when to shift... then u should already have an aftermarket tach with a shift light anyways
Yeah I agree with the fact that you can rev past 8000 without changing the cluster, and I never said it would hurt the performance of the engine. It may however hurt the performance of the car because the driver will not know when the best place to shift is. Also I would hope people would know that your readings when tuning will be done through your ecu. Oh and yeah if you want to get a giant over sized retarded looking tach with a shift light rather than doing a simple cluster swap go for it. You and I both know that having a tach that reads past 8000 when rev past 8000 is a good thing to have, or else they wouldn't put tachs in cars in the first place. It always good to have a car tell you what its doing and when to shift when your running it hard or else the pro's wouldn't have them in their cars. Like I've said before, it's not a necessity, but it really wouldn't be a bad thing to change. It's the main reason why people who are serious about performance on their EM2's do the RSX cluster swap because it reads up to 9000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah I agree with the fact that you can rev past 8000 without changing the cluster, and I never said it would hurt the performance of the engine. It may however hurt the performance of the car because the driver will not know when the best place to shift is. Also I would hope people would know that your readings when tuning will be done through your ecu. Oh and yeah if you want to get a giant over sized retarded looking tach with a shift light rather than doing a simple cluster swap go for it. You and I both know that having a tach that reads past 8000 when rev past 8000 is a good thing to have, or else they wouldn't put tachs in cars in the first place. It always good to have a car tell you what its doing and when to shift when your running it hard or else the pro's wouldn't have them in their cars. Like I've said before, it's not a necessity, but it really wouldn't be a bad thing to change. It's the main reason why people who are serious about performance on their EM2's do the RSX cluster swap because it reads up to 9000.
To be completely fair, I've never seen someone with an RSX cluster swap also have an engine capable of revving higher than about 8.2K rpm.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To be completely fair, I've never seen someone with an RSX cluster swap also have an engine capable of revving higher than about 8.2K rpm.
Check Andy's :p Plus they made the tac for the RSX able to go up to 9 and the EM2's to only go 8 because of the difference in RPM potentional between the D and K.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
thats an understament right there saying that the pros all use oem clusters to race. they use shift lights

think of all the EG's and EK's stock clusters... they only read up to 8000. so ur telling me every single one of them that run 9's and 10's all day are running an rsx cluster?

ur telling me that every one who does a k20 swap into an EM2 should be using a rsx cluster?

im currently making 400hp and 400tq on my setup. with the new motor setup i should be hitting aroung the 700-800 mark. funny thing is though i will still be using my shift light instead of going through the hassle of retrofitting an rsx cluster, rewiring the harness to match the cluster, and custom fiberglassing a bezel to cover the openings around the cluster becuase the stock ones for our d17 dont cover the rsx cluster

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
BenCronin...i still dont get it lol...em2 cluster reads past 8000rpm to about 8200rpm. I think you own a em2...go look at it. That would kill your theory of it only reading to 8000. Also .....shiftlight....shiftlight....shiftlight....shiftlight.... lol wow

·
Registered
919 Posts
my stock 03 sedan gauge cluster i put in reads to 8500-8600

·
Registered
31 Posts
thats an understament right there saying that the pros all use oem clusters to race. they use shift lights

think of all the EG's and EK's stock clusters... they only read up to 8000. so ur telling me every single one of them that run 9's and 10's all day are running an rsx cluster?

ur telling me that every one who does a k20 swap into an EM2 should be using a rsx cluster?

im currently making 400hp and 400tq on my setup. with the new motor setup i should be hitting aroung the 700-800 mark. funny thing is though i will still be using my shift light instead of going through the hassle of retrofitting an rsx cluster, rewiring the harness to match the cluster, and custom fiberglassing a bezel to cover the openings around the cluster becuase the stock ones for our d17 dont cover the rsx cluster

Ok, you’re obviously taking this way to literally. So I'll go that route. No shi, I think everyone knows that pro’s don't use OEM RSX clusters in their cars. I was simply stating the fact that the EM2 cluster only reads to "ABOUT" 8,000 rpm. When you do a swap/boost, alot of time you will be revving higher then that. I never once said it was a necessity to swap the cluster just that it was a good idea. The part I said about the pros was, do you see pros running around with cars that can rev to 12,000 rpm with a gauge that only read to 11,000 rpm. NO! Changing out the cluster will help to keep you from short shifting because you can easy see when and where to shift when running the car hard. That’s all I was saying. I hope this site doesn't start to turn into H-T where people just want to argue for the sake of arguing. In my first post on this thread all I was stating was one point of view on a pro of switching out the cluster.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Ok, you’re obviously taking this way to literally. So I'll go that route. No shi, I think everyone knows that pro’s don't use OEM RSX clusters in their cars. I was simply stating the fact that the EM2 cluster only reads to "ABOUT" 8,000 rpm. When you do a swap/boost, alot of time you will be revving higher then that. I never once said it was a necessity to swap the cluster just that it was a good idea. The part I said about the pros was, do you see pros running around with cars that can rev to 12,000 rpm with a gauge that only read to 11,000 rpm. NO! Changing out the cluster will help to keep you from short shifting because you can easy see when and where to shift when running the car hard. That’s all I was saying. I hope this site doesn't start to turn into H-T where people just want to argue for the sake of arguing. In my first post on this thread all I was stating was one point of view on a pro of switching out the cluster.
its not an argument.. think of it as more of a discussion.. if it was an argument everyone would be hating right now. everyone here likes to correct each other cause we dont want the wrong info getting passed around (like H-T) if you know what i mean.

but like u said in an earlier post that the stock gauge reads only to 8000 but have u looked at the other posts??

my stock 03 sedan gauge cluster i put in reads to 8500-8600
most people with upgrades and kpro only increase rev limit to around 8.2ish so the stock cluster is still within range

1 - 20 of 21 Posts