Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at the new Accords and TSXes and I see that the alternator, water pump, idler pulley and water pump housing design is completely different now. Looking further, I see that the water pump still uses the same gasket as 1st gen TSX's EXCEPT that the new water pump has a removable pulley! This is news for anyone wanting to paint their water pump but not get overspray over the pulley.

The new alternator has a different plug than the RSX can handle unfortunately and it looks like it bolts onto the water pump housing completely different on the K24Z2/Z3. Maybe the K24Z6 housing will still work with the early gen K-series alternators but even with the early gens, there were slight differences between alternators (K20A2/A3, K24A1 alternators interchangable and K20Z3, K24A2 alternators were compatible).

Anyway, waiting for the 2012 Civic Si part numbers to come out. Might be a similar water pump with the oil cooler coolant inlet with removeable pulley. :D

Also, let's hope the new Si uses the traditional header setup. None of this built-in collector BS!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
all the pulleys are removable aren't they? i haven't tried a k series but every d,b,h,f series i've done, you could pull the pulley off and press them back on.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never tried to pull the pulley off of the water pump. I agree it looks like we need a press to put them back in for the current ones but the new ones are bolted onto a hub type thing. Also, we could machine a nice aluminum one that's all blingy. :D

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm afraid not. I only saw this in the showroom. And didn't want to look all weird snapping photos of engine bays. Lol.

If I had more $$$, I'd pick one up just to look at. But kinda waiting to see if there's an Si version with the oil cooler channel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
older non removable & newer 08+ accords vs

probably the same exact pump. same part number on the gasket.
the (1.8L) 06 civic had water pump pulley issues when it first came out, they probably just want all pulleys to be removable from now on.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'll get some closer pics of this later. I've got a Z2 waterpump housing from the engine we abandoned still. Looking at my A4 pump housing, the waterpump appears from the outside to be interchangable, I am going to pull the pump off the new housing in the next couple days to see if it is indeed compatible.

Want to know something else that I'd be willing to bet not ANYONE else has noticed? The newer valve covers (at least from a Z2) will not fit an A2 head. Its VERY subtle, but boy am I mad I had my Z2 VC powdercoated now, because it wont work. The inside of the valve cover will touch on the bolt for the cam gear on the intake cam...

Pics:

This is when I was scratching my head, the stud wouldn't line up and I was perplexed for a second.

Upon further investigation and comparing it to my A2 Valve Cover (That I didnt have prior to getting all my stuff powdercoated at once) this is what I discovered.

The "Bump" to clear the intake cam gear bolt that is in the Z2 cover does not stick as far out as the one on the A2 head. It is indeed touching the bolt on the cam gear. As you can see it does not come out to the edge of the head. FML... Another thing to add to the list of items from the Z2 that will not work with the older engines.

·
Registered
474 Posts
While up at my shop yesterday I decided to take some pictures of the Z2 Waterpump housing and setup. It appears that the Waterpump itself is interchangable (and actually has a slightly smaller diameter pulley).

On to the pics...

Waterpump housing bare:

With accessories (obviously not bolted in place, just resting):

K24A4 Pump on left, Z2 on right:

The Thermostat housings are actually identical. The Heater tube, however has a slight difference in the mounting tab by the end, and the angle of the bend at the tip of the tube. Z2 on Left A4 on right.

I'm actually going to be running the Z2 thermo housing and coolant tube for the simple fact that it was essentially brand new and in much better condition aesthetically.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm not sure yet. I was getting ready to pull the waterpump off the A4 housing to check (because if I can I am going to run the newer pump for reliability and because it is much cleaner, plus the smaller pulley), but when I was about to pull it my boss called and said I needed to get geared up to head out on a job so I bailed from my shop to come home and get ready for work. Of course, when I got home he called to say stand down and they had cancelled, so I will hopefully know more tomorrow.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I confirmed today, the new Si is in fact a 2.4L engine and DOES NOT have an oil cooler. these pumps will be incompatible with A and A2 water pump housings.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dang. Might be time for an oil cooler delete. :( Or, modify the housing to attach some sorta coolant return line.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Want to know something else that I'd be willing to bet not ANYONE else has noticed? The newer valve covers (at least from a Z2) will not fit an A2 head. Its VERY subtle, but boy am I mad I had my Z2 VC powdercoated now, because it wont work. The inside of the valve cover will touch on the bolt for the cam gear on the intake cam...

The "Bump" to clear the intake cam gear bolt that is in the Z2 cover does not stick as far out as the one on the A2 head. It is indeed touching the bolt on the cam gear. As you can see it does not come out to the edge of the head. FML... Another thing to add to the list of items from the Z2 that will not work with the older engines.
So, what exactly changed on the new head design? Will using a cam bolt from the newer design work or are the newer cams shorter? Very weird...

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome. I wonder if it's possible to chop the built in collector off, mill the back of the head flat, drill some new holes and tap them for a normal header setup... But who knows, maybe it's just easier to stick on a big pipe.

Have you created a thread documenting the head differences?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I haven't yet. I can post up pics of the head in here if you guys would like. The little time I've had away from work lately has been spent working on my car and trying to get every other project I have around the house done, lol.

I'll go out to the garage in a few to get pics of the head. My K20A2 head is on my engine up at my shop (across town), so a side by side comparison won't be happening right now. I can promise also that the waterneck and vtec solenoid are different as well, both of which happen to be at my shop right now (brought them up to see if they'd fit the A2 head). I still have yet to try to swap the waterpumps as well. I've just been overhwelmed trying to get this car together, the passing of my grandpa and being slammed at work.

Anyways, I'll post pics of that head on a few.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Alright I'm super confused someone please help!! So I have a k24a2 block n I was tryin to put a new tsx water pump on..but the hole don't quite line up n is a lil off...also my tsx alternator won't screw in all the way cause one of the water pump screw hole is in the way...someone please help!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts