Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,075 Posts
...new skunk 2 magnesium is 60% lighter than stock,BUT!
A typical aftermarket product and decadence at a higher level. Test phase starts with sale. The question is are 2 kg less weight worth the price of 475 USD and the concerns about oil separation efficiency before the oil catch can? Spending the evening meal to someone who has none, would save maybe also 1 kg and may include a smile ;).

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,127 Posts
in this case you might install a permagent catch can drain into the sump. This is how for example Porsche and BMWs are using their oil separators (catch cans)
indeed..

this is what I need to do in the following weeks. There is a strong chance I will have higher than normal levels in my catch can. I was thinking a -6AN drain line would be perfect going back to the sump

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,127 Posts
A typical aftermarket product and decadence at a higher level. Test phase starts with sale. The question is are 2 kg less weight worth the price of 475 USD and the concerns about oil separation efficiency before the oil catch can? Spending the evening meal to someone who has none, would save maybe also 1 kg and may include a smile ;).
brother the amount of "aftermarket parts" created with the intention of doing nothing more than taking money from someone's pocket is staggering. These types of parts should called "after thoughts" 🤣

·
Registered
730 Posts
2kg weight savings are enormous for a race car, less so for a 1.5 ton Civic with air con, subwoovers and leather seats. Does the OE cover actually weight much more than 2 kg to start with?

·
Registered
730 Posts
indeed..

this is what I need to do in the following weeks. There is a strong chance I will have higher than normal levels in my catch can. I was thinking a -6AN drain line would be perfect going back to the sump
The only place I see a need would be between PCV and intake manifold. For now, I just close the path for track use with a valve. Oil consumption dropped to near zero on track. For the road, I open it to activate the PCV valve to keep the oil free of condensates. I never had oil coming out of the main valve cover vent. Maybe with a big turbo.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,127 Posts
The only place I see a need would be between PCV and intake manifold. For now, I just close the path for track use with a valve. Oil consumption dropped to near zero on track. For the road, I open it to activate the PCV valve to keep the oil free of condensates. I never had oil coming out of the main valve cover vent. Maybe with a big turbo.
oh no you are at 666 posts... just joking around brother.

my goal is to install a drain line back to sump, I was thinking about the timing chain tensioner cover or oil pan being the -6AN drain end. the drain hose is feed by a waste tank.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,127 Posts
2kg weight savings are enormous for a race car, less so for a 1.5 ton Civic with air con, subwoovers and leather seats. Does the OE cover actually weight much more than 2 kg to start with?
the oem cover does not weight that much. it is aluminum with some thin carbon steel to make the baffling Honda designed. 4lbs is a decent weight saving from the front of a 70/30 fwd as well. i have one i will weight a oem one in a second.

my old FI K I hooked a catch can to the valve cover. before that I had crankcase into the CAI one time. when hooked up the CC for the FI K, it only filled it up one time. The VC has more of a dual use taking air in and blowing out if the PCV is restricted.

This one I know is a SC K20a2 that has the PCV valve closed off it's entire life and it is on 16-32 seasons depending on how one says it or means it, I mean (16 years or equiv. of 18-20 race hrs each year.) Has only used AMSOIL extreme use, one weekend toss the oil after being screened. the engine is still hitting the road course for 8-9hrs each weekend one to two times a year. The Car only does road course since 2003 and has 16,000 miles on a legit 01 ITR chassis. I have reach the determination that for DD the engine performs better having the intake manifold regulating vacuum on the PCV valve.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yes, I am well aware of the bidirectionality of the valve cover inlet.
For road use and its lower oil temperatures, the PCV system dramatically reduces oil contamination from condensates with negligible oil consumption. On a track car and much increased oil temperatures usually combined with much more frequent oil changes, this is much less of an issue and the downsides of the Honda system, mainly oil consumption in high rev overrun situations, essentially before every turn, becoming much more relevant.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,126 Posts
100% nowhere near worth it 😂 much better ways to lose a couple lbs. marketing gimmicks at its finest. I like some skunk2 parts but I think this is pretty funny.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,127 Posts
100% nowhere near worth it 😂 much better ways to lose a few lbs. marketing gimmicks at its finest. I like some skunk2 parts but I think this is pretty funny.
this is what i meant by after thoughts. those parts are out there in full force.

makes me think skunk2 just had to have there VC too... 🙄

1 - 20 of 34 Posts