Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject has been talked about by many people. The facts are in the article.

brian g

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Re: New issue of Sport Compact Car has the K24 block swap in

brian g said:
This subject has been talked about by many people. The facts are in the article.

brian g

I am poor and lazy, and do not feel like spending my money or my energy at the Liquor Market. J/k

I'll pick that issue up, but in the mean time you want to drop in on my K24 thread that’s 1 or 2 spots down on the list and drop a little knowledge on my discussion.

It would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
15,814 Posts

brian g said:

brian g
GREAT JOB BRIAN G!!

the article is great... Worth a read for sure...

Also, Brian G is one of the pictures holding the K20a2 head... Looking good :)

·
Registered
44 Posts

nikos said:
Also, Brian G is one of the pictures holding the K20a2 head... Looking good :)
What is looking good him or the head? :p

I will go pick the new issue up and read up on it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
lol

Not impressed with the power.. Rather have the R stock.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
supafly said:
lol

Not impressed with the power.. Rather have the R stock.
It kicks the stock type R's ass in heavy car like the 02 Si. Compare torque not horse power. HP is just a measurement of work not force.

·
Registered
929 Posts
This is the first quote from SS Mag. It does not have same compression.

A series of volume tests were performed to determine the compression ratio. The goal was to be somewhere around the vicinity of 11:1. With the new Type R pistons in place, the compression ratio was raised to 11.5:1., which wouldn't be so bad, but pump gas sucks around these parts of the nation, and race gas gets very pricey if you're filling up every couple of days. After some serious reworking of the combustion chambers and using two head gaskets, it was finally brought down to 10.8:1.

Also the base is not the Type R it is an SI bottom end with type r pistons etc..

http://www.p1auto.com/bigblockep/ep.htm This is an unbiased link that shows k24 bottom with k20a2 head. Sorry not impressed.

I believe in the mag it gained 20 hp which was like base 165 and then went to 185, The torque was about the same gains. but didn't exceed 164 if I recall correctly. Mag is at shop... So in essence 185 max hp and 164 torque vs. type r with same mods intake header ex computer 210-230 hp with 161- 167 torque.

http://www.prototyperacing.com/dynok20b.htm for example

Also with the Type R swap comes the tranny ecu etc...

Not sold on k24 yet..

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
supafly said:
Not sold on k24 yet..
I think thats cause it's not worth it unless the motor is fully built!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Right... Does anyone have the actual numbers on the dyno graph in the mag???????????

If so please post them asap.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
supafly said:
I believe in the mag it gained 20 hp which was like base 165 and then went to 185, The torque was about the same gains. but didn't exceed 164 if I recall correctly. Mag is at shop... So in essence 185 max hp and 164 torque vs. type r with same mods intake header ex computer 210-230 hp with 161- 167 torque.
You're cracking me up dude. Keep an open mind, you're dissing something you have no experience with. You remind me of my son when I tried to get him to eat squash. "Oh no I'm not eating that stuff, it tastes horrible." He'd never tried it before.

Oh, and I love your, "This is an unbiased link that shows k24 bottom with k20a2 head" Why would I be biased? What's my motive? I don't sell any parts for block swaps. That project engine even went into a Civic Si which doesn't require a Hasport mount kit.

And I wouldn't get too caught up on the numbers your reciting. The dynos numbers quoted occurred on two different Dynojet dynos taken about 3-6 months apart. The accurate figures were taken on a Dynapack but Sport Compact Car will only quote Dynojet numbers.

Having driven Civics and Integras powered by: K24A, K24A with RSX head , K24A with RSX head and type R cams, K20A2, K20A3, K20A, and not to mention K20A supercharged, K24 with RSX head supercharged, built K20A2 with turbo, K20A with turbo and K20A2 with turbo, I was impressed.

I'll try to dig up the Dynapack numbers, maybe I kept them. This project was from August or September 2002.

brian g

·
Registered
929 Posts
I take it you must be from Honda Tech..... Your wittiness really kills me.

I was under the impression that you were some kind of professional.. My mistake. Sorry I misunderstood I apologize.

I simply stated my feelings on the matter and tried to provide proof of why.

Next time please try to keep it to the facts only and if I had a tissue box I'd give you one. Once again I apologize for giving you to much credit that you'd be a professional and stick with the facts only.

Oh! and a... have a nice day. :lol:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for directly responding to my argument point by point. You really know your stuff.

brian g

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
supafly said:
Hey,,, No prob Im here to help.
Supa are you seeing here?

2.0 Liter cams/Cylinder Head, on a 2.4 liter you are not going to see any real gains, until you do something about that.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Yes C I understand.. The discussion of simply applying a stock k24 and a stock k20 type s head is not very beneficial in my eyes and apparently the dyno sheets that I have seen. Compared to the Type R.

Also I was comparing the price and quality of parts to have all that the type r has with tranny lsd etc compared to k24 stock bottom with k20 type s stock head and no lsd tranny.

In my opinion from what I have seen and researched type r is simply the best way to go. Now if you are planning on building a motor that's certainly another story but not this discussion.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
... Whos gonna stay stock, your swappping and mix matching honda engines parts.

If your looking to use the stock oem stuff for the k24 it's not for you people. If you are looking for performance.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I can appreciate that.

So we see eye to eye then on the comparison of the type r vs 24 with 20 head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with brian G on this topic, Hp isnt really the staple of this engine, but geez Torque is!!!. 185 to the wheels isnt too bad either..

I guess this really puts the old CRVtec to rest....

Supa has made the best point, THIS MOTOR SETUP IS NOT FOR A PERSON LOOKING FOR DROP AND GO. Just like the old CRVtec motors, it was pretty decent stock, but not comparable to other B series high outputs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts