Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i wanted to know something about my car. its new and all i want to fix it up but the warranty is getting me if i fix it up and stuff like the basics of intake headers and exhaust will it kill my warranty? or no? and i would like proof of this by a document or something. whatever you can give me


thanx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Doo-Doo said:
well i wanted to know something about my car. its new and all i want to fix it up but the warranty is getting me if i fix it up and stuff like the basics of intake headers and exhaust will it kill my warranty? or no? and i would like proof of this by a document or something. whatever you can give me


thanx.

It all depends on the dealer ship...

When I had a K20 swap on my Ek... I had a door problem and the Service Manager fixed it.

He knew what I had..

Some will say no some will say yes...So the best way to find out is go and ask you local dealer ship and Ask..
:wink: Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
more than likely, any engine modifications is going to void your warranty. Say you blow your motor, it is not going to be covered under warranty since you "tampered" with the engine

but other cosmetic and exterior problems with the car should be covered as long as the dealership doesn't see the engine mods
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
taqman15 said:
more than likely, any engine modifications is going to void your warranty. Say you blow your motor, it is not going to be covered under warranty since you "tampered" with the engine

but other cosmetic and exterior problems with the car should be covered as long as the dealership doesn't see the engine mods
Not true. The dealer can not deny warranty coverage based on the fact that you use after market parts. This is covered under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. However, they can deny warranty repair if they can determine that the installed after-market part was solely responsible for the malfunction. Only installing I/H/E, is not going to cause you to throw a rod through the block, and should still be covered. However, installing a turbo could, and would be denied. check the link for more.
http://enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8124&criteria=magnuson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
isnbrg9 said:
Not true. The dealer can not deny warranty coverage based on the fact that you use after market parts. This is covered under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. However, they can deny warranty repair if they can determine that the installed after-market part was solely responsible for the malfunction. Only installing I/H/E, is not going to cause you to throw a rod through the block, and should still be covered. However, installing a turbo could, and would be denied. check the link for more.
http://enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8124&criteria=magnuson
Trust me your statement might be true but in the end, the dealership will link the damage to your aftermarket parts somehow. If you have any doubts, go to your dealership and ask them what you can do and what you can't do.

I'm not saying they will void your warranty because you added a strut bar. You all know what I mean. :wink:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,811 Posts
I have read stories of people destroying their motor with nitrous and getting another engine for free.... (of course they removed the kit before taking it back)

At the same time, I have heard dealerships giving shit to people for intakes and exhausts....

It really depends.. I never have this problem because I never buy new cars. I rent them though :p

OT but here is why: My 1996 Volvo turbo wagon with winter package had a sticker of $39000.00 The blue book value of it now is around $10000... I bought it for $3700 , about a year ago. Unless it is car I want to keep forever like a 911 porsche turbo, I see no point buying new. That is why I like swapped K civics :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
nikos said:
I have read stories of people destroying their motor with nitrous and getting another engine for free.... (of course they removed the kit before taking it back)

I want to keep forever like a 911 porsche turbo, I see no point buying new. That is why I like swapped K civics :)


That is the right way to do it... :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i just read those i guess th best thing to do is go to my dealer. the dealrer i go to is capitol honda in san jose i think its in san jose. and theres a shop next to it that sells aftermarket parts but their brand names like aem and some other name brands. but yeah i will check there next time and thanks for telling me but you guys can keep replyin i will still check on this whenever i can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I just bought a 2004 Civic. Before I left the dealership, I asked what mods I could do to it. They said that I could put a short ram intake, and a muffler on. They frowned on a cat back, but I put one on anyway, since, it doesn't directly effect the cat. They told me NOT to put headers on. Any exterior mod (body work) will not void your warranty except lowering your car. My dealership told me that if I lowered my car, and my transmission ever went out, they would not fix it, since it would have added stress on it. Well, that's just what I found out. The best way is to go to where your warranty work will be done. Double check with them, and get it in writing. 8)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top