Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up the other day, to good of a deal to pass up in. 2000 civic ex, integral type r 5 lug suspension with extended studs. Tein one piece shocks. K20a2 longblock, head super tech valvetrain with tsx cams. Ep3 tranny with lsd. Kpro v4. Had a bmc racing intake manifold which I hated so swapped out for ported Rbc.looking for 70mm or bigger tb.

Attachments

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,691 Posts
I still don't know how to upload the pictures smh
Nice car man.

To upload a pic you need two things: a platform for storage and the post function button with the mountain horizon in the tool box above the text field. Just fill in the picture link and press ok. Finished :D

I wouldn't go above 70 mm with your engine setup. 70 mm and a 3" CAI often shows the best results (s. Official Dyno Charts comparison or zof484's K20a2 setups), once it is really on the cold side feeded. Isn't there enough clearance space to route the induction down to the street instead of the hot exhaust side?

Markus

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info about the pictures I'll try it later. And I used the old pipe from the center feed intake just to drive it home. Swapping out the stock k20 block for a k24 I a have sitting outside, so I have to wait until I swap the block before I fab a new pipe.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,691 Posts
And I used the old pipe from the center feed intake just to drive it home. Swapping out the stock k20 block for a k24 I a have sitting outside, so I have to wait until I swap the block before I fab a new pipe.
Ok, understood.

BTW, are you a mechanic? You are pretty quick in moving engine out/in/out :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I am but Only personal and friends, don't do it for business. I'm trying to learn the tuning aspect now.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,691 Posts
Yes I am but Only personal and friends, don't do it for business. I'm trying to learn the tuning aspect now.
Interessting Sweatlounge, always good to have guys here knowing the numbers (torque, tolerances, ...). For your actual aspect you are just on the right place. When you talk about tuning, do you mean modification and tuning?

Markus

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a tuning class earlier this year from EFI but it wasn't much hands on and if you don't put the work to use, you forget it pretty fast I have get back on the dyno. I don't have a lot of equipment for modifications but just what I need to get by. I got out of the Honda scene for about 8 yrs just got back into it last year and been building to 2 cars at the same time. I've been dying to get out on the streets that when I saw this car I bought it just to take care of the urge. Lol

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,691 Posts
Well educated

I took a tuning class earlier this year from EFI but it wasn't much hands on and if you don't put the work to use, you forget it pretty fast I have get back on the dyno.
That's great man. Education based practicing gives a good potential for good tuning quality and good results. Tuning is a very good way to understand the engine needs and to check its healthiness. I love to do it.

What do you think about the EFI's class finally? Did you beside theory also experiment on a real object during the education?

I don't have a lot of equipment for modifications but just what I need to get by. I got out of the Honda scene for about 8 yrs just got back into it last year and been building to 2 cars at the same time.
So the plan is a mild modification like induction and exhaust plus tuning beside the K24 small block :D?

Markus

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took the efi basic 101 and advanced 103 I haven't taken any others I will in the future just very expensive. The class was good but like I said not much hands on. We actually used a Rsx type s I had On the dyno in the advanced class. I didn't really understand your last question but if your asking about this motor. Im planning on swapping the block for a k24. And if I find a cheap set of pistons in rods I might slap them on as well. But this is just a daily driver. I have still have my builds I need to finish up.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,691 Posts
I took the efi basic 101 and advanced 103 I haven't taken any others I will in the future just very expensive. The class was good but like I said not much hands on. We actually used a Rsx type s I had On the dyno in the advanced class. I didn't really understand your last question but if your asking about this motor. Im planning on swapping the block for a k24. And if I find a cheap set of pistons in rods I might slap them on as well. But this is just a daily driver. I have still have my builds I need to finish up.
Sounds quite interesting. Does those two courses include complete process of tuning already? From basis understanding of sensor functions up to system processing like ECU fuel control strategies (Alpha-N, Speed-Density, ...)?

I didn't really understand your last question but if your asking about this motor. Im planning on swapping the block for a k24. And if I find a cheap set of pistons in rods I might slap them on as well. But this is just a daily driver. I have still have my builds I need to finish up.
Sorry I wasn't precise enough, but you got it. Which ECU you will use for to tune it?

Markus

Finally got the pics working
:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well like I said you don't use it you lose it. And I haven't done anything to do with tuning in about a year so I pretty much can't recall everything but it was pretty the basics volumetric effeciency and making lots of calculations. The advanced pretty much just let you put it to test on the dyno.

This car I just got, is running kprov4 so is my street build but I might go haltech or aem on the track build. I have a lot to learn, can't wait..

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,691 Posts
VE Tuning

...but it was pretty the basics volumetric effeciency and making lots of calculations. The advanced pretty much just let you put it to test on the dyno.
Didn't know that the fuel mass calculation via Speed-Density uses more then one equation...LOL :D. Just joking...to deduce you need about 6 steps if you begin at the Law of Boyle (pressure x volume = constant). Consequently they teached you also the more simple and universal concept of Lambda = current AFR / stoichiometric AFR?

Fuel mass = Displacement x VE x MAP x rpm / (7.2 x λ x IAT)

This is a very simple but effective fuel control concept and you get so much more info about your engine: volumetric efficiency, combustion efficiency = f(torque) and of course friction losses = f(torque) and you see immediately fuel injector drift, most injectors have during the first few operation hours.

Just by seeing the equation you can imagine instantaneous 5 modification options for your engine, where you want to work on and which lever arm they have...just to get thumb rules assumptions :D. And if power not increases linear with fuel mass you have a combustion task :D...just to give a idea how much of valuable information one can find in such a simple equation.

This car I just got, is running kprov4 so is my street build but I might go haltech or aem on the track build. I have a lot to learn, can't wait..
Both, Haltech and AEM Infinity offers VE based fuel mass tuning...I am really looking forward to read about your experiences with it.

Markus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts