Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys? I need some advice on what intake manifold and throttle body to use.

Its been 2 years in the making, but I finally have my K-swap in my 95 Civic CX. Its a "budget swap" that i built myself (first timer). I've got a k24a4 block and crank, cr-v rods, pistons and port-matched head, rsx-s oil pump, and brian crower stage 2 vtec killer cams, springs and retainers. Im using a rsx 5-speed tranny, and a stock accord exhaust manifold (for now).

Anyway, I have the Accord intake manifold modified to fit the cr-v head, but i dont have an accord throttle body.

I have a base model rsx throttle body but no rsx intake manifold.

The rsx TB wont bolt right up to the accord manifold, and if I'm not mistaken i think i remember the mani and TB having some of the same sensors??? I might have to plug something off even if i did make/buy an adapter to use what i have??? I cant remember. If I go to the garage this afternoon I'll try to get some pics.

SO.... Do I buy an accord TB and be done with it, or would it be better to use my rsx TB and get a different manifold? And if so, what manifold? Or do I make what I've got work somehow? Keep in mind I'm ballin' on a budget here. :cool:

Let me know what y'all think.

thanks, brx

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well i will say go with your RSX TB and a RBC since you have stag2 cams. I think that would the best way to go. You need the karcepts plate as well to mate the rsx TB to the RBC

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, anyone else? I know Ive read certain manifolds actually lose power on the k24s but I dont know which ones.

Here's another question: Will the karcepts adapter allow me to mate my rsx throttle body to my accord manifold? If it did, I could do that for now, then get an RBC when I have more funds (Im only working 4 days a week now).

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks, anyone else? I know Ive read certain manifolds actually lose power on the k24s but I dont know which ones.

Here's another question: Will the karcepts adapter allow me to mate my rsx throttle body to my accord manifold? If it did, I could do that for now, then get an RBC when I have more funds (Im only working 4 days a week now).
seeing how you are using killer cams, are you using this as a race motor?
-if its a race motor, the RBC intake manifold will be just fine! I can get you one 250 shipped brand new from Honda with manifold gasket.
-if its a daily driver, the you will lose bottom end power. notice, the k24's come with longer intake manifold runners, this is for torque. the RBC intake manifold is more for top end flow and power... seeing how it comes from a 06+ Civic Si which has high RPM capabilities than the k24 motors, the RBC works better on that.
but as i said, it all depends on what you are using your motor for.
basically, with the stock k24 manifold, the engine will be begging for air past 6 grand... meanwhile, the RBC will provide air on top end

and a TL type S throttle body is bigger than all the K series TB's, this is a good OEM part to use, IF you are using DBW

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned my plans for the car. It wont be my daily driver, its a second vehicle, but it will see mostly street use. I occasionally go to the drag strip, but Im mainly looking for 'street response'... I like climbing the mountain roads nearby.

Im using a cable throttle too.

Seems to me I ought to keep my accord manifold to keep the torque. I guess I'll just get an accord throttle body.

Does anyone know if the accord throttle body will bolt onto a RBC or any other upgrade manifold without an adapter, if I want to go that way in the future?

·
Registered
457 Posts
i believe a 2004 accord throttle body should bolt right on... this is for the cable throttle right?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it is a cable throttlebody.

I e-mailed Brian from karcepts:

Brooks said:
Whats up man? Quick question for ya, I have a k24a4 accord intake manifold, and i have a base model rsx throttle body. Will the RBC adapter let me use the two together? Throttle bodies and manifolds are expensive, and I thought if i could use the adapter, i could use the manifold i have for now, until i get enough cash to get a better manifold.

Thanks, Brooks
and this is what he had to say:
Brian said:
Hi Brooks,

I'm sorry, but if you had an rsx-s or ep3 throttle body, then what you
proposed could work. The base rsx tb is quite different and will not work.
Regardless, you are going to have to obtain an rsx-s or ep3 tb down the road
if you want to upgrade manifolds, so that might be something to think about
upgrading now in your situation.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks for the inquiry,
Brian Karwan
Karcepts, Inc.
P: 301.251.1560
F: 301.251.1561
www.karcepts.com
Just thought I would share the info for anyone wanting to know. I dont know what I'm going to do now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you had an rsx-s or ep3 throttle body, then what you
proposed could work. The base rsx tb is quite different and will not work.
Regardless, you are going to have to obtain an rsx-s or ep3 tb down the road
if you want to upgrade manifolds, so that might be something to think about
upgrading now in your situation.

Is the ep3 manifold diffrent from the base rsx manifold? :confused:

Dosent the base rsx and the ep3 shared the k20a3?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know about the ep3 manifold, but the base rsx manifold is black plastic.

After talking to a few people, I think Ive decided Im going to keep my accord manifold to keep my low end torque, cause thats why I wanted a k24 to begin with.

So now I just need an accord cable throttle body... anybody got a cheap one for sale?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.