Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im putting my motor together and i was thinking of using one of the mugen, toda, spoon headgaskets that rais your comp. a bit.... Does anyone have any input on these?? Are they any good? Is there any problems you can run into with them? Any downsides to them?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Dont waste your money. Just get an OEM gasket.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
if you ever over rev on a downshift or god forbid miss shift, I'd rather have a few more thousandths of clearance :D

I believe the spoon gasket is a modified oem gasket with the middle layer removed,

.3 to .4 bump in compression is not going to make much of a difference in power

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
just wondering do ppl pull the rivets out and make their own thin headgaskets with K headgaskets like they did with B?

I did that with my Bseries and just ran a signal layer headgasket and so far it's holding up no problems.

But K, i'm not sure if it'd work the same?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also, something that may or may not be an issue is if you run a thinner head gasket, it's going to lower the head a tad causing the timing chain to need a bit more tension, also slightly altering timing. Now, a thinner head gasket may not be cause for concern by itself but combine that with normal chain stretch (or excessive chain stretch in some cases), and possibly a milled head or something and it may be enough to throw it off. The timing chain setup on these motors is quite sensitive, as we've seen in the past.

With all of the issues with chain tensioners and ruined engines that some people have experienced, I'd personally try to do all I could to avoid that and running an oem sized head gasket just seems safer to me. Something to think about. :up:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts