Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
VSS sensor? if you have a laptop plug it into a k-pro and switch the speed sensor to permanent signal and try running it and see if the vtec engages, if it does its the speed sensor, if not its something else..
HTHs

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,026 Posts
10w60 oil? Wow, K series motors use 5w20/5w30. Why so thick of an oil?
Good question :)! It is for testing, because I don't know what temperature the oil will get at the race track with that air cooled oil circuit...normally I would use a SAE40 or 50 (only ACEA A3!), but to be honest, reving a engine up to 8500 rpm (24 m/s mean velocity of the piston, think of the bearings!) with SAE20 (especially with ACEA A1) is a risk. Do you use it as your daily driver? Oil cooler?

BTW, for my fuel saving project ('12 VW Polo), I am using a SAE30 (ACEA C1 with a lower HTHS value). Low rpm, high BMEP...and ok :) viscosity-sensitiv hydraulic lifters, with that I get 65 to 77 mpg in winter conditions...even for that I wouldn't fill in a SAE20 oil quality to squeeze out some more mpg's.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,026 Posts
If you are having issues with the VSS vtec will not engage. Make sure everything is ok with the VSS , wiring from vss signal and Ecu signal. Once you get that working correctly , if the problem still persists then continue to trouble shoot.But I would def. start with that.
Thanks! I will check this with the KPro'd ECU soon...

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,026 Posts
Hi Jay_Dee_Em,

thanks alot :)...I will fix the harness for the PRB ECU (originally there is a PRA ECU) on Monday, hope the fuel pump will do it's work, so that the KManager can tell me what is missing in that issue.

I found some similar discussions to that engine behaviour:

Maybe my engine is also in limp mode...we will see on Monday hopefully more :)

Thank you all so far

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,026 Posts
If you are having issues with the VSS vtec will not engage. Make sure everything is ok with the VSS , wiring from vss signal and Ecu signal. Once you get that working correctly , if the problem still persists then continue to trouble shoot.But I would def. start with that.
Vteceffect912,
Yes you are right...KPro says "VSS Malfunction" (DTC P0500), even I can see it ;) as the VSS value was constantly at 3 mph, while I drove in the city.

By the way, I DID IT :D...build up my own harness to connect the PRB E connector, which was in the PRA inside soldered (thanks to the swap guys of the former owner :bat: )

I still wonder why the VSS tell's the ECU speed is constantly at 3 mph while I clearly see in the cockpit at the speedometer a plausible and dynamically changing value...consequently, the speedometer have it own source signal or the ECU needs a higher quality of signal as the speedometer (also digital)...but the VSS should be ok?! Or what do the experts think about this?

Many thanks in advance for your recommendation...

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,026 Posts
I found in the forum a way to go:

1. KPro - Parameters - Misc
2. deactivate the first two options below Speed Sensor
3. Go to Gear Comp
4. Select your tranny, choose one

So, this a solution if dashboard speedo works fine and VSS not...otherwise you have to use a rope with knot's and through it out of the window and count the knots you pass by ;).

In addition I will check sensor and wiring with a multimeter...because Hondata says:

"No speed sensor - check this option is you do not have a speed sensor input. The vehicle speed will be set to a constant 80 kph/50 mph. Note that using this option only recommended if there are no other alternative, as the speed signal is important for the correct operation of the ECU. You will not be able to use reverse lock out. ..."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I have a civic type R on a 51 plate and need a bit of help or advise.

I bought it as a non runner and in a bit of a ness as a project car for me and my 16 yrs old son to do. It's been a nut and bolt restoration.

The charge light stays on. The first alternator had been fully reconditioned and the charge light stayed on but it is charging when using a multi meter. We then took it to a electrician and they fitted a new oem alternator and the charge light still stays on but again its still charging. The ELD has been checked and seems to be all ok. The ECU has been sent away to be checked and that all seems fine.

It went in to honda for them to try to work out what the fault is. They seem to think it's the alternator but are unable to supply 1 to check. But this seems weird that 2x alternator are doing the same thing.

Would this enable the v-tec and cause it not to work ???. The 2 filter screens on the V-tec system are new and clean. Timing chain checked as it was a new 1 fitted but when fitting it was half a tooth out. It has fresh oil in it. It has had new main bearing and big ends and new piston rings. Oil light goes put when cranking over.

Thank you for any help

21 - 30 of 30 Posts