Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went today and purchased two engines. One is a JDM K20A and the other is a JDM K24A. I bought them both from Japenese Engines Import out of Atlanta. My intentions is to take the Head off the K20 and put it on the K24, you guys know all about that.

The problem... When I spoke to him over the phone he assured me it was a ITR engine K20A. When I got there 1st thing I noticed was the valve cover was not red as he was loading it in the back of my truck. There was a lot of people there and he was busy so I just figured I would take it home and if its wrong I'll bring it back.

When I got home I threw it on the engine stand and removed the valve cover and sure enough it only has Vtec on the intake side and not the exhaust side. Im calling him back tomorrow and hopefully he wont have a problem taking the k20 back because its not what I need.

The real question is what exactly is the K24A I have? Will it work for what I am trying to achieve once I find the correct Cylinder head?

Attached is pictures of both engines. The cams of the K20A and the engine stamp of the K24A. Also both engines were in a automatic car in case you want to know that.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I went today and purchased two engines. One is a JDM K20A and the other is a JDM K24A. I bought them both from Japenese Engines Import out of Atlanta. My intentions is to take the Head off the K20 and put it on the K24, you guys know all about that.

The problem... When I spoke to him over the phone he assured me it was a ITR engine K20A. When I got there 1st thing I noticed was the valve cover was not red as he was loading it in the back of my truck. There was a lot of people there and he was busy so I just figured I would take it home and if its wrong I'll bring it back.

When I got home I threw it on the engine stand and removed the valve cover and sure enough it only has Vtec on the intake side and not the exhaust side. Im calling him back tomorrow and hopefully he wont have a problem taking the k20 back because its not what I need.

The real question is what exactly is the K24A I have? Will it work for what I am trying to achieve once I find the correct Cylinder head?

Attached is pictures of both engines. The cams of the K20A and the engine stamp of the K24A. Also both engines were in a automatic car in case you want to know that.
My bad the pic of the K24 was missing here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
From what I've read I don't think there's much if any difference between the K24a and the the k24a2/3 engines, I think they also had the same upgrades the 06 TSX got but don't quote me on that as I could be wrong. But for what you're wanting to do that K24 will be fine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I've read I don't think there's much if any difference between the K24a and the the k24a2/3 engines, I think they also had the same upgrades the 06 TSX got but don't quote me on that as I could be wrong. But for what you're wanting to do that K24 will be fine
I figured out that its the TSX K24a2 engine. 10.5 C/R pistons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
IIRC once you pull the cover the head is stamped (RBB possibly?) and the cam lobes are different. Also the absence of EGR but that may only be for USDM.

Mak

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IIRC once you pull the cover the head is stamped (RBB possibly?) and the cam lobes are different. Also the absence of EGR but that may only be for USDM.

Mak
The head is stamped RBB-3. Also the cams lobes are 3 on intake and exhaust, ( vtec on both intake and exhaust side). If that is what you are referring to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The stamp isn't sure fire but 3 lobes on both intake and exhaust cam is definite proof of 200hp K24. Otherwise it's VTEC on intake cam only and 160hp. Assuming everything is OEM of course. Those particular JDM engines always bothered me as far as discerning what you were getting.

Mak

·
Registered
11 Posts
And to my knowledge other countries didn't get the 06-08 upgrades we did on the TSX engine. Someone can correct me if not. The only way to be sure would be to measure valve size, cam lift and duration, identify additional air passages, compare piston reliefs, etc. All for 5hp, most of which can be recouped with intake and exhaust aftermarket.

Mak

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stamp isn't sure fire but 3 lobes on both intake and exhaust cam is definite proof of 200hp K24. Otherwise it's VTEC on intake cam only and 160hp. Assuming everything is OEM of course. Those particular JDM engines always bothered me as far as discerning what you were getting.

Mak
What about JDM engines are discerning to you? It is in automatic form right now which made me feel okay about it because it was less likely running around the streets with someone banging gears in it all the time. But I have a leak down test I am gonna do on it to just make sure all cylinders are in satisfactory condition before I pull the head off. I know now I could have spent more time researching on my own to find out exactly which k24 this is, but what I really wanted to know was the compression ratio of it, which is 10.5 CR. Its getting a K20a2 head put on it.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
ok so yea that definitely is NOT a K20R engine - take that engine back STAT. I hope you didn't pay K20R pricing for it!

The JDM K24A - if it has an RBB head (3 lobe) - is equivalent to our 04-05 K24A2 TSX engine. These motors are the same internally as an 04-05 k24a2 in terms of cams, pistons (10.5cr), rods, valvetrain and valve size. One thing they did receive is an RBB intake manifold (bigger plenum side) which the 06-08 K24A2 received. You'll have to change out the whole water pump housing assembly too in order to use an EP3 idler pulley if you decide to use this block. These JDM K24's received some weird housing that doesn't have a drivebelt tensioner.

That K20A you have is a jdm version of our k20a3 engine as you've already figured out. The head part number along with other indicators are dead giveaways of this (silver valve cover, dual runner plastic intake manifold, auto).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so yea that definitely is NOT a K20R engine - take that engine back STAT. I hope you didn't pay K20R pricing for it!

The JDM K24A - if it has an RBB head (3 lobe) - is equivalent to our 04-05 K24A2 TSX engine. These motors are the same internally as an 04-05 k24a2 in terms of cams, pistons (10.5cr), rods, valvetrain and valve size. One thing they did receive is an RBB intake manifold (bigger plenum side) which the 06-08 K24A2 received. You'll have to change out the whole water pump housing assembly too in order to use an EP3 idler pulley if you decide to use this block. These JDM K24's received some weird housing that doesn't have a drivebelt tensioner.

That K20A you have is a jdm version of our k20a3 engine as you've already figured out. The head part number along with other indicators are dead giveaways of this (silver valve cover, dual runner plastic intake manifold, auto).
Thanks for the info. I took the k20a3 back and picked up a k20a2 head off of a 2002 type s. Im gonna have to do some research on some small stuff to complete the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. I took the k20a3 back and picked up a k20a2 head off of a 2002 type s. Im gonna have to do some research on some small stuff to complete the job.
Also I was planning on getting the RSX type S water pump with housing because of what you mentioned. Would that work? I am planning on running A/C with the GA summer heat as well as power steering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts