Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
M U G E N !!!!!!!!!!
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for you who have seen my build you know it for you who have not here is the thread http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24034

ok well anyways, i just blew my second clutch master fx400 6 puck clutch, i will never buy another clutch master clutch. so anyways i have been hearing good things about comp clutch, i see 2 that might work the stage 4 cameric 6 puck or the stage 2 full disk carbon kevlar, my gaol is 300whp, and after that i may do a duel stage of nos

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
I like the clutch net products.

What "blew" on the clutchmaster? Did the friction material just fall apart or was it something with the hub? Clutch net's discs have very well built hubs. The friction material is somewhat consistent from brand to brand for the same type of material.

·
M U G E N !!!!!!!!!!
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the clutch net products.

What "blew" on the clutchmaster? Did the friction material just fall apart or was it something with the hub? Clutch net's discs have very well built hubs. The friction material is somewhat consistent from brand to brand for the same type of material.
well here is the first clutch its 4 puck after 700 miles of not going about 4k rpms. got stuck in neutral on a hill, had to use my foot to get it in 1st to get to a parking lot to get towed,

the second one is a 6 puck and still in the car hasnt blown up, just worn down, after 7k miles, barly grabs after 7k miles i have to power shift pritty much

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
hmm. those pics look familiar. The clutch net hubs are designed to prevent hub failures of the sort seen in your pictures. They build all their clutches in house instead of China so you can expect a greater level of quality control.

If you're truly wearing out clutches in 7k miles, you probably need to adjust your driving style a bit. Puck style clutches aren't known for having long life, but they should last longer than 7k of daily driving.

I'd suggest something like the clutch net fiber-carbon disc with their stage II pressure plate.

·
M U G E N !!!!!!!!!!
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm. those pics look familiar. The clutch net hubs are designed to prevent hub failures of the sort seen in your pictures. They build all their clutches in house instead of China so you can expect a greater level of quality control.

If you're truly wearing out clutches in 7k miles, you probably need to adjust your driving style a bit. Puck style clutches aren't known for having long life, but they should last longer than 7k of daily driving.

I'd suggest something like the clutch net fiber-carbon disc with their stage II pressure plate.
well i think my drive style is fine, i got like 65-70 k on my first 2003 rsx type s before i had to replace it

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
well i think my drive style is fine, i got like 65-70 k on my first 2003 rsx type s before i had to replace it
I got 100k+ out of my OEM clutch, and that was with plenty of drag & autocross along the way.

Organic & kevlar clutches will last longer than the button style clutches, but they may not be able to hold 300hp + nitrous. You may want to consider an organic clutch + stiffer pressure plate to get a mix of holding power & longevity.

·
M U G E N !!!!!!!!!!
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got 100k+ out of my OEM clutch, and that was with plenty of drag & autocross along the way.

Organic & kevlar clutches will last longer than the button style clutches, but they may not be able to hold 300hp + nitrous. You may want to consider an organic clutch + stiffer pressure plate to get a mix of holding power & longevity.
well i dont mind so much about the longevity, i dont mind putting a new clutch in every 25-30k but 7k jesus that sucks

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I had the same problem with clutch masters on my b16. I'm running a competition clutch stage 4 now and love it. It's handled atleast as much abuse as clutch masters did without any problems. It's got about 35k miles on it and the only thing it's ever broken is 4 auto zone axles :p. My second clutch masters clutch before I switched only lasted about 7k miles too before it broke a spring. I would recommend competition clutches to anyone.

-Troy

·
M U G E N !!!!!!!!!!
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same problem with clutch masters on my b16. I'm running a competition clutch stage 4 now and love it. It's handled atleast as much abuse as clutch masters did without any problems. It's got about 35k miles on it and the only thing it's ever broken is 4 auto zone axles :p. My second clutch masters clutch before I switched only lasted about 7k miles too before it broke a spring. I would recommend competition clutches to anyone.

-Troy
ok thatnks much i think you made my mind up, but what cm clutch did you have befor the comp clutch stage 4 6 puck?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have a CC stage 5 its a bit much for my power and yours, but I've been running it and some of my friends have been running CC clutches for a long time and never had a problem.

·
M U G E N !!!!!!!!!!
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a CC stage 5 its a bit much for my power and yours, but I've been running it and some of my friends have been running CC clutches for a long time and never had a problem.
so do you think i should be fine with a cc stage 4 6 puck, or the stage 2 full disc carbon kevlar

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
ok thatnks much i think you made my mind up, but what cm clutch did you have befor the comp clutch stage 4 6 puck?
I had a stage 3, but that was because the motor was just bolt ons at the time. When it was replaced with CC I had plans on going turbo, actually already was building the other block. I had a 6 puck sprug hub and it was very aggressive during the first 1k miles or so on a stock motor, but never slipped. I had a few friends that went from stage 3 CM to stage 3 CC and noticed a nice difference. I was just planning for the furture when I bought mine.

-Troy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to see another person with the same issue with a clutch masters fx400. I only got 3000km of street drag use out of it before it started slipping. Failure i put down to bonding riviting of material as it all fell off one puck into the bellhousing. Expensive clutch for overseas buyers who cant complain.

·
Registered
605 Posts
i have a cc stage 4 in my car and love it has about 8k on it and its seen my stock 2.0 with bolt ons, bolt ons + 100 shot, and now boost and still holding strong!:up:

·
IMAKEBOOSTATIDLE
6,914 Posts
yeah competition clutch owns.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts