Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I'm currently building a k24 with the following specs

Wiseco forged k24 87mm piston part No. K568M87

Eagle forged H beam 5.984 rods part No. ESP-CRS5984K3D

k20a2 type s oil pump

arp head studs

40-degree vtc gear

I'm currenly wondering which springs I should get for the top end and whether its worth it to get after-market retainers or other parts. I specifically don't understand the purpose of different valve spring weights.

Additionally, I plan on upgrading the cam down the line with a dragcartel 2.2 cam and plan to turbo the car next year while running it n/a till then end goal is ~450hp.

My plans for the motor are to put it into a miata and street race on weekends, nothing too crazy.

· Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
10,384 Posts
I'm currenly wondering which springs I should get for the top end and whether its worth it to get after-market retainers or other parts. I specifically don't understand the purpose of different valve spring weights.
Valve springs and retainers need to match, be aware of that, not every valve spring type can match up with the stock retainers.

Additionally, I plan on upgrading the cam down the line with a dragcartel 2.2 cam and plan to turbo the car next year while running it n/a till then end goal is ~450hp.
The DC OG-series 2.2 cams need definitely an higher seat pressure and spring rate as well as a higher lift capacity compared to the stock valve springs. Be aware, depending on boost an increased valve spring seat pressure is needed on both sides.

· Registered
11 Posts
Are you planning to DD? Do you have any concerns regarding excess cylinder wear and the forged pistons? What is the CR of the Wiseco pistons? A friend built a K24A A2 and I believe he paired the SuperTech springs and retainers with the DC cams. The piston and rods were OEM. The manifolds were custom and the engine is quite impressive in NA form.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts