Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
A while back I heard a ticking noise I thought was the timing chain. Turned out it was just the header heat shield, but I decided to upgrade to the Skunk2 timing chain tensioner as a precautionary measure.

I had heard good things about it. Honda Tuning sang its praises. K20a.org and CRSX had threads that were virtually advertisements for it.

Here's the tensioner after less than 1000km of normal daily drive on my stock cam K20A2.

Note the missing ratchet tooth. I appears to have sheared off.

I can squash the tensioner completely with my bare hand. The spring that is supposed to push the ratchet forward, does nothing at all.

I've gone back to my OEM tensioner, which was actually in quite good shape (seeing as the car only has 104,000km on it).

So, if you hear a loud raspy noise coming from the chain side of the engine, particularly bad between 2500-4500RPM and off throttle, and you have a skunk2 tensioner... take a peek at it... it might save your engine.

Update: Skunk2 has been very proactive in taking back the failed tensioner for analysis and replacement. I appears to be one of the last few from a batch that had issues. Read further down to help identify if your Skunk2 tensioner is one of the problematic ones.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Thats why we buy Hybrid Racing......

Sorry to hear!!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Contact Skunk2, they are usually pretty good about taking care of their customers.
Dont Fully agree on ^^^^....... i had problems with there valvetrain... They said **** U.. basically:mad:

SuperTech FTW:up:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was lucky that it didn't hurt anything. I'm super paranoid about noises from my car (almost to the point of being a hypochondriac), so I caught it before any chain slippage, and limped home trying to coast as much as possible.

I have the OEM one back in which had no signs of wear. Guess I'll stick with that for a while.

So far Skunk2 isn't batting so good with me. The only other product I had from them was their cheap coil-over kit for the RSX. The springs sagged in the first year, and the car was constantly bottoming out.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Thought these were recalled once before. Can't believe still having issues in the field. waw.... Thank goodness you motor was saved.

·
Registered
39,468 Posts
If u really look around and read k20a.org, u might have trouble finding a lot of positive information on skunk2 as around these parts, that company is commonly referred to as JUNK2. :)

Junk2 as a company is not a sponsor of k20a.org and probably never will be LOL. Sponsors on k20a.org can advertise whatever line of products they carry but it is upto YOU, the consumer, to do the proper research before spending ur hard earned money on shitty products.

Sorry about ur experience and glad u caught it in time. :up::up:

·
Registered
55 Posts
If u really look around and read k20a.org, u might have trouble finding a lot of positive information on skunk2 as around these parts, that company is commonly referred to as JUNK2. :)

Junk2 as a company is not a sponsor of k20a.org and probably never will be LOL. Sponsors on k20a.org can advertise whatever line of products they carry but it is upto YOU, the consumer, to do the proper research before spending ur hard earned money on shitty products.

So true

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow... I have the same problem..I getting what seems to ne chain slap and its driving me crazy..been trying to fix it for ever.. I've tried new chain.new own tensioners stock cams then I tried the skunk 2 tensioners and the noise went away for awhile now it seems its coming back..I really don't know what to do at this point.some please help.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Wow... I have the same problem..I getting what seems to ne chain slap and its driving me crazy..been trying to fix it for ever.. I've tried new chain.new own tensioners stock cams then I tried the skunk 2 tensioners and the noise went away for awhile now it seems its coming back..I really don't know what to do at this point.some please help.
Remove it asap and buy a HR tensioner.:up:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

How's your TODA tensioner holding out?

·
Premium Member
19,963 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,963 Posts
I think Blazed does run a Toda.. Last I heard, he was having no problems with it.
I know...I was laughing because of an earlier discussion involving the Toda tensioner.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts