Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thanks entirely to this forum i am about to start the long process of swapping a k20a2 into my POS eg.

About my EG's history.... its probaly about one of the most beat up EG's youll ever see on the street. It started out as a 92 CX, before it recieved its fist DOHC motor. JDM B16 with bolt ons... stock internals. Car ran [email protected] mph with a shitty 2.44 60'. This motor had much better times in her, but alas my cars life was cut short by theft.

I got her back as a shell ....Not much at all left in her. No radiator, no door panels..... shit, these fucking guys stole every fuse out of the fuse box too!!! WTF!!!! But i was determined to get her back on the road. I had a friend that just finished a b16 swap donate his 1.5L dx motor to me. Now this motor was a freak!!! 250K miles on her when she went into my car. Not leaking a drop of oil at that point. Oil was still golden in fact. 200psi across the cylenders :) The motor ran consistent 16.4's in my friends car with nothing but an intake and generic axle back ...... not bad. So the car slowly returned to the street.

Now, its time to step up and get back in the game.... I started a junkyard turbo project on it that never got finished because i got the K bug!

So here we go!!!! D series is out and i just laid a downpayment on a k20a2 swap that should be arriving in about 2 weeks .... so heres some starter pics with many more to come throughout the swap!

First pic.....Freak D15 comming out .... the wife and kid are getting in on the fun!

Second pic speaks for itself :)

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^ Thanks guys!!! Special thanks to nikos for having this terrific site, the support and fellowship displayed here has really inspired me!

Yes, i am very excited to get back in the game. Security is something that i dont have completly figured out yet. I mean, its easy to make a car undrivable, but its another thing to make it untowable. But if anyone has an idea please throw them into this thread.

My first real question is my next step actualy. Whats the best/cleanest way to remove the passenger side mount bracket??? Ive head u can use like a sawzall or a spot weld bit. Which one is easier and cleaner? From looking at it it looks like its would be pretty easy to rip off with a reciprocating saw, but i could be wrong . As for the spot weld bits, ive never even seen one, let alone used one. How does it work??? Where do i drill???? Which way would you guys suggest????

·
Banned
15,815 Posts
thanks to Katman

here's some good pics for the tranny mount that needs to be removed and how to install the new mount

Basically you can use a drill with a big enough tip. Once you start making these holes, you will see that the mount will start moving... If it is still stuck, drill more in an angle or get bigger tip.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
92hatchattack said:
those are great pics, but im still missing exactly how do you know where to drill to get the stock mount off????? or do you just guess at it????
Here you are sir:

Use a bigger drill bit than the one I used!!! If you drill the welds out completely, you'll be able to just slide the bracket off.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
congrats on the movement to an awesome swap man. this swap does not necessarily have to take that long. i got mine in and on the road in a solid 2 weeks. nevertheless, good luck with your swap, plan ahead, and of course, dont cut any corners.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great pics litterbox! Im just trying to figure out .. how did you know where to drill the holes???? Are there any markings or did u jusy eyeball it? Ill be working on this the next time i work on the car.

The reason why i plan on it taking so long is because i wont be working on it ever weekend ..... Improbaly only gonna get to work on it half a day, every other weekend, because i have a family and i also do not live with the car. Its at my mothers house because i live in an apartment and cant do the swap here.

Shit, if i had all the stuff, and a 3 day weekend to work though, im sure i could have knocked it off in that amount of time. But at this point im hoping to maybe get a startup over the thanksgiving weekend!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
92hatchattack said:
great pics litterbox! Im just trying to figure out .. how did you know where to drill the holes???? Are there any markings or did u jusy eyeball it? Ill be working on this the next time i work on the car.

The reason why i plan on it taking so long is because i wont be working on it ever weekend ..... Improbaly only gonna get to work on it half a day, every other weekend, because i have a family and i also do not live with the car. Its at my mothers house because i live in an apartment and cant do the swap here.

Shit, if i had all the stuff, and a 3 day weekend to work though, im sure i could have knocked it off in that amount of time. But at this point im hoping to maybe get a startup over the thanksgiving weekend!
I just wanna say congrats 92hatchattack. It must be satisfying to be able to do this swap after a rough patch with your car stolen etc.

If your anything like me u will be dying to do the swap and if u cant make it to your mothers to work on it on one weekend u will be frustrated.. lol.

Im gonna follow this thread closely, looks as though u are going to ask alot of questions. And some regarding fairly basic things which alot of the other guys just skip due to experience. This will be a huge help to noobs such as myself.

Regarding the mount... arent u able to see where the welds are?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^ yes, i plan on asking a shitload of questions ..... Which is generaly not in my nature. I would usualy just go outside and fuck with it until i got it to work. But since my time is limited im going to researching as much as posible, so that when i do have time to work on it, i know exactly what i need to do, and i can just go and bang it out.

"Regarding the mount... arent u able to see where the welds are?"

im not sure .... i dont have the car in front of me to check... anyone else car to chime in on this???

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
92hatchattack said:
"Regarding the mount... arent u able to see where the welds are?"

im not sure .... i dont have the car in front of me to check... anyone else car to chime in on this???
Yes, you can clearly see the welds. They are little circular dimples/indents. It is very clear to see. Just use a drill bit that is bigger than the welds and you'll be fine. This will not jepordize the structural integraity of the frame.

·
Registered
272 Posts
92hatchattack said:

If you can get your hands on air tools, look for i think its called a air hammer. I used that tool with a chizel(sp.) type bit at the end of it hacking at the pass. mount with it and banging it down with a rubber mallet. That would def. leave a cleaner and easier result than the posted drilling out the spot welds suggestion. But either one would work. :up: :cool:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sweet info, yeah, i just wasnt sure if you could see where to drill or not..... Ill probaly just use the drill technique... Im not worried bout the holes, i just dont want to make too much of a mess..... One day the car will get painted and the holes filled in, but for now ill just throw some touch up paint on them to keep my car from rusting anymore than it already is .... lol

i was dreadin this part at first, but you guys have eased my mind, and now i cant wait to rip that bitch off..... As for the holes u drill to bolt in the hasport mount, do u have to be carefull not to dril all the way through???? Arent there like nuts on the other side of it that u have to use on the frame??? I think i recall reading something like this in the hasport directions...

ill be ordering my mounts as soon as i know my motor is ready to be shipped out ... hopefully in a week .... so for now, im just researching .. and my the grace of god if i have time to work on the car this comming weekend im going to prep the rest of the motor bay.... ther really not much to do right???? Take off the mount, and the radiator mounts right???? Also, i need to remove the clutch hardline all the way to the master cylender right???

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
don't be cheap like litterbox!!!!! :silly:

here is how we did it..

do it right lol. My friend used a 40 dollar bit :)

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Seriously wtf is wrong with mine? I drilled it out, started grinding it (lol, mistake) but then stopped and continued drilling. It's clean, nothing's wrong with it. But ya, use titanium drill bits. You don't need some super $40 bit. lmao :silly:

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
litterbox said:
Seriously wtf is wrong with mine? I drilled it out, started grinding it (lol, mistake) but then stopped and continued drilling. It's clean, nothing's wrong with it. But ya, use titanium drill bits. You don't need some super $40 bit. lmao :silly:

it looks like someone took a bite on your mount.
"like a sabertooth tiger took a chunk off"
on the 2nd picture. anyways seriously nothing is wrong its just funny.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
haha you guys are too much .... i dont see anything wrong with litter's .... ill use whatever bit drills out the damn welds .... lol

so anyway, besides that, do you remove the clutch hardline all the way to the master cylinder???

1 - 20 of 176 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.