Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

361 - 380 of 402 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
No, I clayed it the last one I told you, I can go to 4 on Intake side safely and would not go past 3 1/2 on exhaust side,
Depending on engine-turbo-combination the engine likes more or less lift at TDC. Our 52 psi turbo engine likes around 4 [email protected] of lift and much less at exhaust side of lift (not clearance). This means a lot of advance at the intake cam, near to the edge of the VtP-clearance limit. So maybe your engine will like that too as it has also a short duration cam.

...Skunk2 did a shit job on the Manifold to make it fit, the right side on the bottom you got to cut a lot off to make it fit properly, Ill have final pictures of the cut tonight.
Do they hint to that and give a advice or solution suggestion to solve the collision correct and the same for all customers or do they leave to the customer?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
Depending on engine-turbo-combination the engine likes more or less lift at TDC. Our 52 psi turbo engine likes around 4 [email protected] of lift and much less at exhaust side of lift (not clearance). This means a lot of advance at the intake cam, near to the edge of the VtP-clearance limit. So maybe your engine will like that too as it has also a short duration cam.

Do they hint to that and give a advice or solution suggestion to solve the collision correct and the same for all customers or do they leave to the customer?
They do say you need to modify it to make it fit lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
Fedex just dropped this off, twin-disk clutch

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
So here is how much you have to cut to get where you have room,

Before cuts

And after the cuts

So it will not hit like this one

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
I’m not sure, the extra plenum volume alone on a turbo or NA application should make for some power ? I feel like this manifold is used quite often on higher hp street NA builds.
You know what they say, bigger is always better

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
They do say you need to modify it to make it fit lol.
Mmmmhhhh...what a customer service?!

Would be nice if a slim water housing was available made to work with those manifolds but still used the oem water pump and accessories. Something between the race water plate and oem.
Or a better fitted IM 😉

So it will not hit like this one
Was the water housing still there 😉?

I’m not sure, the extra plenum volume alone on a turbo or NA application should make for some power ? I feel like this manifold is used quite often on higher hp street NA builds.
Yes, adds some ponies, but there are smarter designs possible.

You know what they say, bigger is always better
I am not 100 % sure 😉.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
Mmmmhhhh...what a customer service?!

Or a better fitted IM

Was the water housing still there ?

Yes, adds some ponies, but there are smarter designs possible.

I am not 100 % sure .
Yea its all done now, i have alternator and new water pump on the way but the manifold, injectors and rail are finished

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
New Limited Slip installed new bearings and new speed gear installed, i placed the old final drive next to it to see the comparison

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
Yea its all done now, i have alternator and new water pump on the way but the manifold, injectors and rail are finished
Would you be so kind please to measure the runner length of the IM? I am just curious. For boosted applications the pressure wave tuning does decrease on its influence to VE. What matters for NA applications below 7500 rpm looses it's matter intense with increasing boost.

New Limited Slip installed new bearings and new speed gear installed, i placed the old final drive next to it to see the comparison
Straight teeth, that will make some nice noise :D. What material is the FD gear wheel made of? I just wonder because it is lacquered.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
Would you be so kind please to measure the runner length of the IM? I am just curious. For boosted applications the pressure wave tuning does decrease on its influence to VE. What matters for NA applications below 7500 rpm looses it's matter intense with increasing boost.

Straight teeth, that will make some nice noise :D. What material is the FD gear wheel made of? I just wonder because it is lacquered.
What ever ppg gear makes there stuff out of, no idea really.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #378

3.5 Liter > High Horsepower N/A and Forced Induction Applications to 600HP
4.5 Liter > 600-1000HP
5.5 Liter > 1,000HP Up

This is there website and how they explain the volume for the Intake manifold, I have the 3.5L, Ill measure in the morning to see how long it is.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
What ever ppg gear makes there stuff out of, no idea really.
Found this on their website:
PPG said:
Aerospace grade steel used for all gears...Components undergo PPG’s unique heat treatment process to ensure strength, durability and longevity
That said, on another forum I found this

CPL Racing said:
The last phase of the gear set production is heat treatment (case hardening). This is not a new approach to strengthening metal componentry and most clientele of the automotive industry would be familiar with the process of parts being dipped into a heat treating salt bath containing various elements but most importantly carbon.

The Controlled Atmosphere heat treatment process Pfitzner Performance Gearbox apply is a more precise and refined method from the original salt bath heat treating. Using a computer controlled atmosphere (furnace) where carbon and other elements are monitored and maintained at optimum levels via highly advanced software and sensors, ensures accurate and efficient heat treating, consistently producing a well hardened and strengthened product for Pfitzner customers.

High temperature levels are produced to attract and infuse carbon onto the surface of the product, penetrating to calculated design depths to harden it. Rockwell tests (an international standard of hardness testing) are performed at regular intervals with sacrificial components as a form of ongoing quality control.

Competitor Heat Treating Process
The basic heat treating technique is at times hit and miss given element levels fluctuate and more specifically carbon content is guestimated producing inconsistencies with this practice. Salt Bath techniques were developed pre the 1950s and have not evolved since then.
s. also here: Anyone damage their PPG 2nd gear dogs? - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (honda-tech.com). I just was thinking, if it is lacquered it might be a corrosion prevention, which would be untypical material for gear wheels.

This is there website and how they explain the volume for the Intake manifold, I have the 3.5L, Ill measure in the morning to see how long it is.
Thanks for the plenum volumes. Skunk2 states on their website it to be 6" (155 mm).

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
Started priming the inside today, should be painted and done by friday

361 - 380 of 402 Posts