Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished my swap just over a week ago and I thought I’d let you guys know and also to say thanks, with out this forum I don’t think I would have even considered doing it – so cheers :up:

My CRX is a UK VT (EE8). The K20A2 engine and 6 speed gearbox were from a 2002 UK Civic Type R (EP3).

HERE is a page with some pics of as I went along. My CRX started out with a B16 which I felt was getting a bit long in the tooth and I fancied a change, something a little different :D So I got on with it…

I did have a few wee problems with the mount kit (Hasport EF), obviously it wasn’t going to fit straight in. The rear EE8 subframe has its mount holes in slightly different places (see DSCF0030/32/56) and I had no guide bolt holes on the RHS chassis rail either (DSCF0066-76). The rear mount actually turned out to be an inch too short (DSCF0107a) to line the engine up.

Some of you may remember I thought I had a problem with a narrower engine bay because of a ledge on the RHS chassis rail. This turned out OK as the bay is actually the same width as an EF which I found out after test fitting my traction bar (which needed some other mods to fit).

In the end I just lined the engine up straight across and marked where the RHS mount should go and worked from there, keeping the LHS mount where it was. Brian and Joe at Hasport sorted me out with an EG/K rear top half mount that has an extra inch in it to compensate for the rear subframe bracket location, however by this time I had swapped it for a UK 16V sub which meant the final gap was ¾”. The bracket got drilled :)

Driveshafts are original CTR ones with B outer CV joints. These seem to be holding up very well.

The radiator and fan came from a Peugeot 205 (french hatchback) and are also coping well.

The hole in the bonnet is for the idler pulley (DSCF0131), I hope to relocate this a bit lower in the future by having a new bracket machined and the circle is where the dip stick fouls if you don’t cut it down :) The plan was for a CF bonnet but until the idler is shifted it will have to wait. I would have like to have gone for 3 pulleys but the alternator is too close to the headlight to allow this.

Many thanks to Mark Lamond for sorting my ECU wiring out and furnishing me with a working S2000 dash.

Also thanks to Brain at Karcepts for the info he provided me on mounting the shift box even though I didn’t go with one of his products in the end.

It still has to be finished (proper intake, fuel run redone, expansion bottle, paint etc) but it’s just done a few hundred miles round Scotland for the scottish CRX-UK meet and I’m really happy with it.

Thanks again,

Scott.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys :up:

Bean-Burrito said:
What pulley's did you use that they didn't have enough clearance for the hood, btw great project:up:
Pulleys are all stock as they came on/with the engine. I did see another set up around here, using 4 pulleys I think, that involved moving the alternator down and replacing the idler and tensioner with just one, lower wheel. Unfortunately I couldn't do that either as the belt would have fouled the water pipe to the oil filter ring :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Adam R. said:
did You use CTR shifter cables or RSX ?
I used DC5 Integra Type R shifter cables, which I think are the same as RSX ones? CTR cables have the wrong ends to use the floor mounted shift box.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nonterraquous said:
I used DC5 Integra Type R shifter cables, which I think are the same as RSX ones? CTR cables have the wrong ends to use the floor mounted shift box.
yes DC5 and RSX are the same

mounts, did you import from USA or you buy in EU

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Adam R. said:
mounts, did you import from USA or you buy in EU
I imported my mounts and header from No Limits Motorsport in the US, Rob looked after me pretty good :up:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kevinoneill said:
I was born in Scotland :up: Kirkcaldy.
Hey bro :up: me too :D I live about four miles away now (Cardenden).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nikos said:
So are you driving it yet? Looks great! Cheers!
Thanks Nikos, yeah, it's been on the road for just over a week now. All in it's done about 500 miles and the only problem I've had has been a minor fuel leak from the gauge on the FPR. It goes in for its annual MOT test on Wednesday though, I have a feeling it will fail on something, I just hope it's nothing major.

Kevin - the sun is splitting the trees just now :p :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts