Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shift lights are great. They help you to concentrate on quick shifting rather than eyeing the tach. IMHO they look retarded attached to those rediculously large tachometers :rolleyes: and out of place being mounted on the dash. Especially on a daily driven car :(

So i decided to conceal mine in the A/C Vent to keep things clean and rice free:D

I bought an Autometer 5340 Pro Shift Light. Instead of using the($25 a set) rpm pills; i decided to use a 10k ohm potentiometer and a simple molex connector from radioshack for about $3.00:up: If you cut one open; you will see that each rpm pill contains a cheap resistor:down:. They are not worth the $25! The potentiometer will serve as a variable resistor, it also comes with a knob for adjustment.

VIDEO:
quick vid of the shift light in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dAUOfhXMcI

PICS:
potentiometer w/wires attached

pins from the molex connector connected to potentiometer wires

view of the shift light wedged in the a/c vent and blue wires running to the potentiometer

drilled a hole for the potentiometer and used the locking nut to secure it

end result!:up: trust me its bright! and easily adjustable!
OFF!

ON!

This shift light is easy to adjust. Its also very bright and visible in the day and nighttime. I set it to 3000rpm for daily driving and fuel economy and then back to about 8600 rpm for racing. You can turn the a/c vent in another direction if its to bright or simply turn it to an unreachable setting like 11k rpm if you want it off. Its well worth it:up: Accurate and consistant shifting pays dividends:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice :up: cant even tell its there!
Yeah, stealthy! I like it, I like it!!
Thanks! I had to find a way to contribute to the k20a.org fam!

Nice. :up: anybody running a k swap down de?
only other k-swaps i know of are on cruz. well i heard about a ek hatch swapping a k here on rock but apparently they don't drive it.

Good stuff :up:
I stick my air fresheners in there :D
Added it to the DIY http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1116957
:up: Sticky Status :up:
Thanks a lot i appreciate it! Next time try sticking a shift light in there instead!

·
Registered
44,673 Posts
:up: Sticky Status :up:
Thanks a lot i appreciate it! Next time try sticking a shift light in there instead!
I never needed one, I just would shift when I saw the tach stop moving out of the corner of my eye :wink:

I was going to put some blue LEDs in the vents of the daily to go with the purple cluster and dome lights I installed...you know, to keep the strip club vibe going :D

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is that a honda fit cluster you got in your car?
No it's a 2003-2005 Honda Civic Cluster. The coupes have the red rings and the sedans have blue. I drive an 02 civic so i just bought one and rewired it to work.:up:

I never needed one, I just would shift when I saw the tach stop moving out of the corner of my eye :wink:

I was going to put some blue LEDs in the vents of the daily to go with the purple cluster and dome lights I installed...you know, to keep the strip club vibe going :D
Lol i gotcha:dance:

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
thats pretty cool, hopefully you dont mind other people doing the same mod, because its probably going to happen. mad props though, :up:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats pretty cool, hopefully you dont mind other people doing the same mod, because its probably going to happen. mad props though, :up:
Nah i dont mind. Thats why i posted it up. If i could see less monster tachs with shift lights the happier i'd be!:dance: Hopefully more people jump on the idea and try it out.:up:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

1 - 20 of 46 Posts