Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

My FA5 build

23K views 92 replies 13 participants last post by  FA5FTW 
#1 · (Edited)
My FA5 K24 build

I figured I probably have enough to get this thing rolling finally.

Bought the car up November 2011 after I decided my CTS needed more work than was worth doing.
*Edit*
Here's the CTS that the Civic replaced. 03 V6 5spd manual, tan leather, premium package. It only had a few minor things on it, Hotchkis suspension, custom intake, wheels, and decent system with JL amps/speakers.

Here's how she looked when I bought her.

I've only done a few things while saving for the K24 build. I picked up a flashpro, and an AEM CAI used for very inexpensive. Tinted windows and put a stereo in.

Here is the bone stock and after the intake and a minor tune. This dyno isn't very kind, but as we all know, repeatability is what's important rather than an absolute number.

Here is the K24 I purchased to use as the base for my build.

Got bored one day and polished the timing cover

Piston/rod combo

Supertech valvetrain parts

After assembling the block, I discovered that the rod bolts hit the girdle on cyl 1 and 4, so I had to tear it all back apart.

After grinding

I was also unhappy with how the block looked, so I decided to paint it as well.

After sandblasting

During painting

After assembly

While trying to install the oil cooler, I realized the K24A1 block was not drilled for running it the factory way. I decided I wanted to use what I had rather than buy more parts, so here's what I did.

Here you can see the hole isn't drilled out for the coolant pipe, nor the hole for the flange that holds it in place.

I drilled the larger hole and then the small one. Lastly I tapped the hole to accept the 6x1.5 (I think that's what size it was...) bolt to hold the water pipe in place.

This is basically where the engine sits now.

I did install the Invidia q300 when it arrived.

I'll try and keep this updated as I move further through the build. Hopefully within a few weeks I'll have the rest of the parts I need to get it completed. :fkya:

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is a build list:
K24A1 block/crank
K20Z3 head
12.5:1 Supertech pistons
Generic h-beam rods (I know...)
ACL race bearings
Supertech springs/retainers/seats/keepers
K20A2 oil pump
RBC intake manifold
J35 TB (64.6mm)
Thermal gaskets for TB and IM
PLM header
Invidia q300 exhaust
Flashpro
Crower stage 2 cams (or SVM if they ever arrive)

Still need:
RDX injectors
Luck
Tuning
Time to finish and install!

#10 ·
The initial plan is for pump gas, if I'm unable to get the tune where I want it, then I'll have to switch to something else. I'm really hoping I can run it on pump gas as this is my daily. In the grand scheme of things, I probably should have gone 11.5:1 or 12.0:1, but with my altitude fighting me, I decided to push the limits.

#9 ·
Yeah, I saw that as well, but I decided to use what I had instead of spending more $$. Plus I like the oem look, and it wasn't really that hard to drill 2 holes and tap one of them.

#12 ·
Here is what I figured when I was doing the ring gaps
With my craptastic measurements, roughly .0025, does that sound right? My snap gauge for the bore is pretty lousy.
As far as piston slap, I'll have to wait and see as the engine isn't quite done yet. I think I should be good though.

#26 ·
I'll find out soon enough. Hopefully should have the rest of the parts end of the week or next week. We are at 5800' at the track and 5000+ pretty much everywhere I go, so I think it should work out okay.

#27 ·
Picked up the rest of my parts to get the engine assembled on my way home from work tonight.

Here is the K20Z3 crank trigger wheel

It looks exactly the same as the K24A1 crank trigger wheel, but since it had a different part number, was only $10, and I really didn't want to have to remove the timing cover if it didn't work, I ordered it. I will confirm if it is in fact the same or different tomorrow once I'm at work.

Here is the K24A1 crank trigger wheel.

More tomorrow, hopefully going to be able to get the engine fully assembled.

#28 ·
Well, got to work and compared the K24A1 (PNA) to the K20Z3 (RAA), best I can tell, they are exactly the same. Same placement and tooth count.

Here is a picture of them on top of each other for comparison. RAA on top, PNA on bottom.

Guess I didn't need it, but now I know.

#34 ·
Nah, it's just Mother's, usually does a decent job. I did the same thing on my valve cover on my CRX. I usually have to put more polish on it once a year or so. I was bored one day at work over winter and did that when I was saving for engine parts.

#36 ·
Well, the engine is all together as far as I can get it minus the parts that will transfer. My plan is to get started later today and hopefully have it running by the end of the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.