Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
801 - 820 of 821 Posts

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #801 ·
Our weather is hit or miss in the winter of late. We used to get snow storms 2-3 times each season and now we are lucky to see one snow day. Yesterday was 68 F degrees lol... Normally after the holidays it will stay in the 30's to 40's for the next three months.
Damn that’s some pretty wild swings , looking out my window now I see we’re blessed with the first years’ snow. Knowing Salem all normal life will cease to exist , Roads will be like a scene from I am legend , everyone fleeing for boats and choppers.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #802 ·
With the roads cleared up I went to grab the remaining oem parts needed for the 4P oil pump install. All the websites say it’s fine to “reuse” the oil chain tensioner (and it may be ) but I chose to put a new one in the batch. Picked up a little billet tensioner cover to polish up as well 👍
Gas Automotive tire Audio equipment Font Auto part

I decided to put the plug cover and black dipstick on the unfinished silver cover just ‘cause. I am thinking of polishing the upper coolant housing as well 🤷‍♂️
Gas Electrical wiring Machine Cable Auto part

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #803 · (Edited)
The new suspension showed up today , truhart drag spec coil overs. 12k front/18k rear springs and extended rear shocks. I have truhart upper camber arms on the car now and was very pleased with the quality and finish , the same can be said for the new arrival.
Shoe Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Audio equipment Coil spring Material property Gas

I also started taking some measurements for a ram air setup / what was needed to clear into the bumper

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Wheel Hood

needs a 90 instead of the 45 I have to come straight out the fog light hole .. to be continued
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille Car

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts
I like the idea for the intake. I think you would have better results from a velocity stack at that fog light pick up that feed a airbox with a SRI with velocity stack inside of the airbox. The extra length of the intake pipe equals more friction.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #805 ·
I like the idea for the intake. I think you would have better results from a velocity stack at that fog light pick up that feed a airbox with a SRI with velocity stack inside of the airbox. The extra length of the intake pipe equals more friction.
Ya I just put my hybrid one back on there and wanted to see what I could come up with using my mixture of couplers and piping. I’m hoping to be able to test a few different intake setups on the dyno when I go , if the bumper is off it’s just a minute or two for changing between them. 👍
You can really hear the air moving 😎 I love how deep the engine sounds 👍 this was pretty cold still so I didn’t want to give it too much.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Have you considered sizing your velocity stack for a given speed range? I think that one you have there is probably a very low speed size for your power level

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #807 ·
Have you considered sizing your velocity stack for a given speed range? I think that one you have there is probably a very low speed size for your power level
Do you mean have one designed with more of a bell mouth ? I like the proper fabrications ones but I guess I would have to see a real world difference at the track through some testing. The one pictured is the hybrid racing -designed to have a filter go around it so that’s probably another shortcoming. Do you have any suggestions how to go about a better one ?

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #808 ·
I have a friend who is my go to fab guy so ideally I will have several different intakes to test out from 3”-4” ID. To go with the larger ones I’m thinking about a 74mm tb and then port match /taper the adapter plate 74-70.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ram air doesn't really become significant until you're up around 100mph or more. At that speed your intake velocity is much too slow to be super beneficial. The closer the ram air speed is to your intake velocity, the more effective it will be.

I roughly calculate 65mm effective intake diameter to be about right for my k20a at 160kmph. I think the k24 will be similar power so i would start around 2.5 inch and try going bigger and smaller than that.

The problem is you can't really measure the benefit in a dyno unless you can get a nice linear high speed air flow directly onto the bell mouth.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #810 ·
Ram air doesn't really become significant until you're up around 100mph or more. At that speed your intake velocity is much too slow to be super beneficial. The closer the ram air speed is to your intake velocity, the more effective it will be.

I roughly calculate 65mm effective intake diameter to be about right for my k20a at 160kmph. I think the k24 will be similar power so i would start around 2.5 inch and try going bigger and smaller than that.

The problem is you can't really measure the benefit in a dyno unless you can get a nice linear high speed air flow directly i
onto the bell mouth.
That is some interesting info. I guess I was thinking if the bell mouth was getting air “rammed” into it that was good nuff but it doesn’t sound like it 😆. I like rearranging and test fitting stuff just cause alot of the time but I would like to end up with the intake that gets me down the 1/4 the fastest.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts
I’m hoping to be able to test a few different intake setups on the dyno when I go , if the bumper is off it’s just a minute or two for changing between them. 👍
that was kind of what I was thinking leaving the bumper off for the dyno trip. By using a "two stage type intake", section - airbox - air supply section should make it easier to control air to the filter. From studies I have read, intake systems that are able to direct air around the filter in a circling motion do the best. The intake I am linking does just this, the air supply tube reduces to increase air velocity & pressurizes it some, and due to the filter housing's design the incoming air circles around the filter instead of hitting a bulkhead.

Camera accessory Tool Bicycle part Auto part Audio equipment

Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Auto part

For tighter spots this EP3/DC5 style seems to work when the airbox is in the OEM location.
Tableware Drinkware Liquid Cylinder Camera accessory

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #812 ·
that was kind of what I was thinking leaving the bumper off for the dyno trip. By using a "two stage type intake", section - airbox - air supply section should make it easier to control air to the filter. From studies I have read, intake systems that are able to direct air around the filter in a circling motion do the best. The intake I am linking does just this, the air supply tube reduces to increase air velocity & pressurizes it some, and due to the filter housing's design the incoming air circles around the filter instead of hitting a bulkhead.

View attachment 107073

View attachment 107074

For tighter spots this EP3/DC5 style seems to work when the airbox is in the OEM location.
View attachment 107075
Those are some nice looking canisters! I do like the idea of a wheel well cold air feeding a v stack inside a housing in the engine bay to help keep the pressure etc. my intakes will be trial and error, part of the fun is putting them all on 😂

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #813 ·
A couple small things arrived to further my project , a nice 10” SPAL fan and a new oem chain tensioner 👍
Packing materials Road surface Rectangle Font Gas

it doesn’t fit the shroud 100% but I will fill in that small gap somehow 👍
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Wheel
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Trunk

and just a shot of the new drag coils, very happy with these. For how stiff the springs are it drives nice on the street, on hard corners the car No longer “leans” enough to meet the tire and fender 👍 it’s much more confident in the twists as well which sounds funny but the old tein was way past it’s days.
Automotive tire Shock absorber Automotive design Auto part Coil spring

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts
Those are some nice looking canisters! I do like the idea of a wheel well cold air feeding a v stack inside a housing in the engine bay to help keep the pressure etc. my intakes will be trial and error, part of the fun is putting them all on 😂
All of the BTCC teams run them. The new CTR has an after market kit that feeds the air filter the same way from the hood/ upper radiator support housing area.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts
A couple small things arrived to further my project , a nice 10” SPAL fan and a new oem chain tensioner 👍
View attachment 107109
it doesn’t fit the shroud 100% but I will fill in that small gap somehow 👍 View attachment 107106 View attachment 107107
and just a shot of the new drag coils, very happy with these. For how stiff the springs are it drives nice on the street, on hard corners the car No longer “leans” enough to meet the tire and fender 👍 it’s much more confident in the twists as well which sounds funny but the old tein was way past it’s days.
View attachment 107108
To fill the gap you could make a ring that is large enough to catch the mount screw of the fan shroud and overhang enough the aluminum circle to flush the inside of the fan's shroud. On the opposite side using a strong adhesive between the new ring made from carbon fiber, aluminum, or plastic. Finally mount small thin 90 degree angle bracket's along at the even numbers on the clock

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #816 ·
To fill the gap you could make a ring that is large enough to catch the mount screw of the fan shroud and overhang enough the aluminum circle to flush the inside of the fan's shroud. On the opposite side using a strong adhesive between the new ring made from carbon fiber, aluminum, or plastic. Finally mount small thin 90 degree angle bracket's along at the even numbers on the clock
I should have bought an 11” fan but I will do something to make this one work, it was a steal at $60 for 1100cfm advertised.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts
I should have bought an 11” fan but I will do something to make this one work, it was a steal at $60 for 1100cfm advertised.
$60 is great fine for FAL. a ring would work, they sell sheets of carbon fiber that are not too expensive. and a ring could be cut from that easily using a hacksaw blade without the saw.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #818 · (Edited)
$60 is great fine for FAL. a ring would work, they sell sheets of carbon fiber that are not too expensive. and a ring could be cut from that easily using a hacksaw blade without the saw.
That is a great idea , I will look into that as well as a few other things. I’m working on getting my detailing business off the ground in my spare time (hopefully it will become full time by summer) so I won’t be taking the engine out of the car anytime soon as I need to be able to move it freely in and out of the garage for any customer ceramic coatings /polishing. But I can definitely sort out a radiator fan 😂

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #819 ·
Yesterdays weather was too nice to leave the coupe inside. I put the bumper back on after work, checked the oil and took my wife out for a quick drive 🙃
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #820 ·
Polished up a friends car today , will be back tomorrow to do others for him as well 😎. Stock k24a turbo mr2 making 600+whp. The body/paint has a lot of imperfections but for a couple hour job it turned out very nice 👍
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

some light waterspotting easily removed
Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Car Grille
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Automotive design

801 - 820 of 821 Posts