Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
781 - 800 of 821 Posts

Β·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #781 ·
No real updates on the car once again πŸ˜… but I did spend the day putting my new storage shelf together for the garage πŸ‘ and took some pictures just because.
Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Wheel

found my box of k20z1 parts , it’s a shame that engine didn’t work out but I will be using the baffle and bolts for the 4piston pump πŸ‘ those rods are smoked I don’t even know why I have them still πŸ™„
Tableware Font Gas Machine Motor vehicle

Β·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts
No real updates on the car once again πŸ˜… but I did spend the day putting my new storage shelf together for the garage πŸ‘ and took some pictures just because.
View attachment 106925
found my box of k20z1 parts , it’s a shame that engine didn’t work out but I will be using the baffle and bolts for the 4piston pump πŸ‘ those rods are smoked I don’t even know why I have them still πŸ™„
View attachment 106927
What's up brother? This is the time of the year that the typical family man is strapped tight for cash, something the both of us know all too well.

I love the carbon fiber hood with the aero latches, it looks business. The whole lightweight chassis and K24 approach is serious business I know all too well. In high gears, tapping the throttle makes for passing on the interstate a breeze or in any driving condition for that matter.

Happy holidays to You and Yours.

Β·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #783 ·
What's up brother? This is the time of the year that the typical family man is strapped tight for cash, something the both of us know all too well.

I love the carbon fiber hood with the aero latches, it looks business. The whole lightweight chassis and K24 approach is serious business I know all too well. In high gears, tapping the throttle makes for passing on the interstate a breeze or in any driving condition for that matter.

Happy holidays to You and Yours.
We just bought new appliances for our Black Friday shopping , Home Depot had some smokin deals. So after all that mixed with the usual Christmas shopping for the friends and family yes the car budget is still slowly making a comeback πŸ˜‚ Thankyou brotha ! Happy holidays to you and your family as well. The carbon hood and trunk were my most prized possessions for quite awhile (matching set from 2008 VIS) I was nervous to do the aerocatch install but the oem latch was faulty and I didn’t want to risk the thing flying up on me. It’s pretty faded but maybe one of these days I will wetsand and buff it etc.

Automotive parking light Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Lots of imperfections but still in decent shape πŸ‘

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,202 Posts
found my box of k20z1 parts
Wow man, one time you will drive a real K-engine, you have it already. The Z1 is one of the better performance iVTEC engines, a very good basis for a nasty high revving fun to drive engine. While this listen to that beauty of 86x86 sound, not revved to the limit, but driven nicely.

Β·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #785 ·
Wow man, one time you will drive a real K-engine, you have it already. The Z1 is one of the better performance iVTEC engines, a very good basis for a nasty high revving fun to drive engine. While this listen to that beauty of 86x86 sound, not revved to the limit, but driven nicely.

I do love the sound of a good k20 😁

Β·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #786 ·

I love the torque of the k24 but at heart I think the high rpm of the k20 suits me and my driving style better. I may just end up building the z1. The block is taped up in the corner still πŸ‘ it has the oil cooler in useable shape attached as well. I will be taking the PRB cylinder head to the local machine shop soon, with a quote of only $70 hot tank and resurface i was happy 😎

Β·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts

that Lotus gets it. The A3 cams are nice. What rpm are you taking the engine to in this video?

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,202 Posts
I love the torque of the k24 but at heart I think the high rpm of the k20 suits me and my driving style better. I may just end up building the z1. The block is taped up in the corner still πŸ‘ it has the oil cooler in useable shape attached as well. I will be taking the PRB cylinder head to the local machine shop soon, with a quote of only $70 hot tank and resurface i was happy 😎
Agreed, torque is not replaceable only by more torque. Therefore I developed the DAMPFHAMMER technology, that is my mission. A high revving K-series (reliable and endurable) with bunch of torque across double of the WOT shift power band. The torque level of an OEM setup can already be at 160 wftlb, values a stock near K24 sometimes have. The K20Z1 has the best OEM cams and with the right header the 160 wftlb are not the limit and can be revved short time till 8800 rpm when running through the gears for a little drag race, for track use up to 8200 rpm. Hondata tested once a stock block with an Allianz "big valve" head and TODA N2 cams (predecessor of the TODA A2) almost 20 years ago. That engine made 247 whp/168 wftlb and with stock head and stock cams 238 whp/165 wftlb. The engine speeds were 8000 and 6000 rpm were it did peak for power respectively torque.

Power wise the same equipped K24 will not reach that power level, just have around 15-20 wftlb more from 4000-6000 rpm, leading finally to 225 [email protected] rpm, there were the fun with the K20 continuous. On track the wider usable torque band of the K20 can make a difference. Of course, the power is supplied differently, not with that hammer in the back from lower engine speeds, but for me a 800 flwhp AUDI RS6 is less fun to drive as the 270 whp Lotus, as the power to weight ratio, the noise and the experience is more adventuring as the boring but really powerful because turbo-charged V8 with that fat 2100 kg chassis.

that Lotus gets it. The A3 cams are nice. What rpm are you taking the engine to in this video?
The TODA C would not make more power as the IM limit peak power engine speed to 8500 rpm. The TODA A3 are just the best match for that engine. More power needs a different engine setup (IM, H, and so on). My best buddy drove it up to 8800 rpm, just to run it through the gears for a video. I've tuned it till 9500 rpm, power hold on from 8200-8800 rpm and falls beyond that off.

The actual port is limiting the power beyond 7500 rpm. We plan to compare it on the flow bench vs a simple own developed seat on a further stock RSP head. The company who did the dimple port and seat made several failures: transition shape of the different cut direction (from flange side and from valve side) has a not only feel-able also viewable edge, used a radial seat design, which is not what I ordered from them. The torque follows quite good the simulation till 7000 rpm and than falls off harder and earlier. All of my analyzing simulations show head flow properties can do this, but need to be lower then stock. That is easy to test, so we will compare it next year on the flow bench. While this I will prepare the other head. As we have since this year our own seat cutters, I can order my new designed seat cutting profile tool and cut it in there. Aim is to get to 330 [email protected] mm (around 0.51" lift), which would be around +25 cfma to series port. Which is an achievable challenge, just doing it by seat and valve size modifications.

Β·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts
Merry Christmas KBuilt, I hope your daughter's 1st Christmas is awesome and she is smiling and laughing. Much love to the family, be safe out there over the hoildays.

Β·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #793 ·
Merry Christmas KBuilt, I hope your daughter's 1st Christmas is awesome and she is smiling and laughing. Much love to the family, be safe out there over the hoildays.
Thanks brother. She is nonstop smiling , the number one comment people make is how happy she looks so I guess something is going right ;) The winter ice and snow is definitely headed our way , but probably nothing like your weather ?

Β·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #794 · (Edited)
Thanks brother. She is nonstop smiling , the number one comment people make is how happy she looks so I guess something is going right ;) The winter ice and snow is definitely headed our way , but probably nothing like your weather ?
Shit my little 2wd daily isn’t ready πŸ˜‚ the back end came to say hi on an ice patch the other day but luckily I’m pretty familiar with sliding around 😎😁

Β·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #795 ·
Took the car around the block the other day before the rain came even just for a few min at low speeds this thing still gets a smile out of me 😁
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

bumper is off to get some work done and I’m thinking about preparing the car for drag race in the spring /summer.

Β·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #797 ·
Very nice goal. What do you need for that to do/to be prepared?
Just ordered drag suspension yesterday, 12k front and 18k rear springs with lengthened rear shock πŸ˜… tomorrow I will be making a trip to the Honda dealer to get the stuff ordered to complete the oil pump swap. The PRB cylinder head will be going in to the machine shop soon as well. SPAL radiator fan is also on the way , advertised 1100 cfm πŸ‘ the biggest items left on the list is a pair of slicks and then to start shopping for a spare gearbox. I don’t want to be left high and dry if I break something in mine.

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,202 Posts
12k front and 18k rear springs with lengthened rear shock
What does this mean in parts? I have only a slight idea what you are talking about, assuming a spring rate (N/mm) or something like that, don't you?

The PRB cylinder head will be going in to the machine shop soon as well.
What tasks they will have on their list with it?

Β·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #799 · (Edited)
What does this mean in parts? I have only a slight idea what you are talking about, assuming a spring rate (N/mm) or something like that, don't you?

What tasks they will have on their list with it?
It’s a new set of coil overs made for drag, the tein suspension on my car is old and somewhat bouncy , i could tell the car would be losing on the 60ft if I went to the track as is. 12kg is the front spring rate and rears are 18kg , very stiff and hopefully should keep the back end of the car from sitting down on the launch.
Camera accessory Auto part Composite material Font Audio equipment

so far the machine shop will just be a resurface and hot tank. It will be going to a friends after that for new seals. I think the car makes plenty of power as it is and my focus needs to be traction but I can’t help wanting to put more into the engine. I don’t know if I trust the clutch that I have now to hold up on slicks , I may go for the action stage 3 or Ironman but again it comes down to the timeframe and budget on those choices.

Β·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,334 Posts
The winter ice and snow is definitely headed our way , but probably nothing like your weather ?
Our weather is hit or miss in the winter of late. We used to get snow storms 2-3 times each season and now we are lucky to see one snow day. Yesterday was 68 F degrees lol... Normally after the holidays it will stay in the 30's to 40's for the next three months.

781 - 800 of 821 Posts