761 - 780 of 780 Posts

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #761 ·
nice build
Thankyou !
oh snap the work is solid. You will like the throttle response of the shorter intake. If you add up the length of intake piping Honda came up with for the K20 and the K24, it is actually a little bit longer (3.5"-5") than what you have with the short intake in the image. Also Honda's length was also dictated by reaching the air box's placement which could have dictated that length some, so there is a happy medium there to find with the right intake length that works for the engine best per application. I think that what you have will be worth keeping and by simplicity if you are looking to play with the length some you can do that by adjusting the length of pipe b/t.

I always felt that CAI intakes were too long for my builds though there was a top end number change, then when I went to SRI with velocity stack I said hell yeah hell yeah.
Ya vtec was definitely louder with the open v stack and shorty pipe. The local tuner just got a dyno at his shop so hopefully I will be able to get some testing done with the stock k24a before adding new parts. It definitely wants more than 25 vtc and it needs more injector but it feels very strong how it’s running now.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
Big thanks to @EBC Brakes for my new set of yellow stuff on the house 🎉 😎. These will be waiting a little while for some new rotors before use but I am definitely excited to try them out. And to think nobody else entered that simple survey just to make sure I got these 😂
View attachment 106419
nice bro.

i have the yellow and green ones.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #767 ·
Nice work @KBuilt. Some good information that makes me want to get started on my kswap (y)

Could you elaborate more on your experience with those engine mounts?
Thanks for that 👍. The emusa engine mounts still look brand new after 650 miles of pretty hard street driving. Install was just like the set of hasports I used to have. It was definitely a great buy for $200 or so. My only recommendation would be to use oem hardware instead of what they send. I wanted all black mounts as well and doing stuff on a budget the money saved was put to good use on other parts. The engine doesn’t rock or move at all and feels very solid when driving around.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #769 ·
More messing around with intake setups. I am trying to find a decent balance for IAT and keeping water/leaves away from it. This barely fits and I will have to put my coolant reservoir somewhere else but seems like the best option for bad weather.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system Personal luxury car

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
There is something to be said about this design that is better than the others. This one is level to the intake manifold, should perform a little bit better flow wise. I know people's first thought is it is a tube is a tube, this is a better piping design with less contact with the inside of piping track. You maybe able see into the plenum through the velocity stack and that would be ideal.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #771 ·
Still no real updates, just saving funds to keep buying stuff 😅 the mornings have gotten a bit colder on my way to work, the motor gets warm enough for vtec in 25-30 min of running. While cruising at highway speeds the water temp drops to the 160s range which seems a bit cool but it’s how the car was tuned so for now I’m ok with it.
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,102 Posts
...the motor gets warm enough for vtec in 25-30 min of running.
My DAMPFHAMMER heats up with about 4.5 °C/min when outside temperature is a few °C above freeze temperature. Should give you around 14 min to be at VTEC (> 76 °C). Could it be your thermostat is not working and closing properly the big cooling circuit. Note, most thermostat I know, don't close 100 %, there is always a gap to the big circuit. Just wondering why it almost takes 30 min to heat up around 4.5 Liter Coolant (big circuit). The Lotus have around 6-7 Liter of total coolant volume, seems to be endless when you only have the KTuned lower filler neck to fill it up :D.

Nice picture of your house, street and car 🆙!

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #773 ·
My DAMPFHAMMER heats up with about 4.5 °C/min when outside temperature is a few °C above freeze temperature. Should give you around 14 min to be at VTEC (> 76 °C). Could it be your thermostat is not working and closing properly the big cooling circuit. Note, most thermostat I know, don't close 100 %, there is always a gap to the big circuit. Just wondering why it almost takes 30 min to heat up around 4.5 Liter Coolant (big circuit). The Lotus have around 6-7 Liter of total coolant volume, seems to be endless when you only have the KTuned lower filler neck to fill it up :D.

If I let it sit and idle it will get to 170+ quicker. But when moving it will either stop warming or get cooler. If I let it warm all the way to 180 before driving it will stay around 170 at highway speeds but when I turn the heater on mixed with moving air it goes to 160s. I have a replacement thermostat to try out even though the one in there doesn’t even have 1000 miles I will swap them out soon to see if that helps. After a nice long drive it will get to 190 and hold there at idle with the heater on almost exactly to the degree.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #774 ·
Thanks ! My only irritation is having an incline driveway. Made some things pretty tough when the car wasn’t running yet and I always have to stop completely before pulling up in the garage 🙄 but i know I am blessed and fortunate beyond most and I give thanks every day 👍

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #776 ·
Glad to see that awesome swap running.
Thanks buddy, I feel like I did compromise a bit by not doing more to the engine before putting it in the car but for a full stock tsx motor it’s a lot of fun. The k24a/type s trans is a pretty strong mix but I am curious what the type s head/50 vtc/4piston pump and bigger injectors would be worth on the dyno.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,179 Posts
Thanks buddy, I feel like I did compromise a bit by not doing more to the engine before putting it in the car but for a full stock tsx motor it’s a lot of fun. The k24a/type s trans is a pretty strong mix but I am curious what the type s head/50 vtc/4piston pump and bigger injectors would be worth on the dyno.
i do not blame you for considering making modifications to the engine for more power. My advice is to save your money and do it properly with some decent cams, new valves, new valve seats, new valve guides. This way you will regain much lost compression for valves not making the best seal they can. The cams will be able to shine with the fresh head and the 3 angle valve job is a great way to gain almost 50% of the end result of a ported head.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #780 ·
Do you need a RBC or RBB (46T) intake cam gear?
I actually have a RBC gear waiting to be installed , got that and a base model exhaust cam gear (lighter ) on eBay awhile back.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

i got the car up on stands now to get some work done on it probably until the newyear. My truck is more comfortable in bad weather and there’s a light list of issues I want to get going on with the car. I’m gojng to do my best to leave the engine in for now but who knows what will happen 😂

761 - 780 of 780 Posts