Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
741 - 760 of 780 Posts

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #741 ·
That is cool. I have never attempted polishing on a scale this large. Do you do it by hand or mechanical help?
When I used to do diamond plate tool boxes it went -
-power sanding about 8 grits
-3 different polishing wheels with the rouge bar
-foam polish with optimum metal polish
-ceramic coat to protect when finished
All about a 4 hr process working your ass off lol. I will do most of this by hand but I did pick up some Velcro disks to try out and I have sanding attachments on my dremel too.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #742 ·
When I used to do diamond plate tool boxes it went -
-power sanding about 8 grits
-3 different polishing wheels with the rouge bar
-foam polish with optimum metal polish
-ceramic coat to protect when finished
All about a 4 hr process working your ass off lol. I will do most of this by hand but I did pick up some Velcro disks to try out and I have sanding attachments on my dremel too.
A valve cover is about 40 hrs of work to do it mirror finish. I helped the boss do his KA24 Nissan VC when I was at the detail shop. This one should be easier.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #744 · (Edited)
Decided to get a wash in on this nice Sunday afternoon , I’ve been driving the car more frequently and it’s got a few hundred miles worth of dust. It has pretty rough OEM paint but I like to keep things clean. I may polish away at it some and try to bring the shine back but the fenders belong in the garbage 😂🙄
Car Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Wheel
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Always protect the air filter during washing when in the wheel well. especially if your body lines aren’t perfect 😆
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Also started finally getting some of the interior put back together. It will need to all come back out for wiring under the dash but I wanted to fit the plastics
anyways.
Gear shift Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering part Automotive design
Speedometer Vehicle Car Odometer Motor vehicle

soon I will have the AEM wideband hooked up to an additional o2 bung post -collector as well as an oil psi gauge (and possibly a water temp for the 3rd pod).The carpet is in storage. I will be cleaning and reinstalling that at some point soon as well as tidying up the ecu wiring.
Car Speedometer Vehicle Gear shift Steering part

That checkerd sports mount is one of the best purchases made for this car I absolutely recommend it or something custom to hold the Kpro safely 😅💯

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,127 Posts
Decided to get a wash in on this nice Sunday afternoon , I’ve been driving the car more frequently and it’s got a few hundred miles worth of dust. It has pretty rough OEM paint but I like to keep things clean. I may polish away at it some and try to bring the shine back but the fenders belong in the garbage 😂🙄 View attachment 105706 View attachment 105705
Always protect the air filter during washing when in the wheel well. especially if your body lines aren’t perfect 😆 View attachment 105704
Also started finally getting some of the interior put back together. It will need to all come back out for wiring under the dash but I wanted to fit the plastics
anyways.
View attachment 105708 View attachment 105707
soon I will have the AEM wideband hooked up to an additional o2 bung post -collector as well as an oil psi gauge (and possibly a water temp for the 3rd pod).The carpet is in storage. I will be cleaning and reinstalling that at some point soon as well as tidying up the ecu wiring. View attachment 105709
That checkerd sports mount is one of the best purchases made for this car I absolutely recommend it or something custom to hold the Kpro safely 😅💯
i like the bag over the filter

the shifter..

carbon trim gauge cluster

gauge pods assembly

nice touches

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 ·
i like the bag over the filter

the shifter..

carbon trim gauge cluster

gauge pods assembly

nice touches
Many hours looking through eBay 😂 most of the stuff wasn’t too expensive either. I’m surprised with how close they got the copy shifter to feel like the original k tuned. I had the billet rsx box on my last car and to be honest I may prefer the $99 eBay one in my car now 😭 the CRV cluster and carbon trim were Xmas gifts from my lovely wife 👏🏻 Thankyou for the compliments. One piece at a time I will make the inside and outside as nice as I strive to have the engine bay.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,127 Posts
Many hours looking through eBay 😂 most of the stuff wasn’t too expensive either. I’m surprised with how close they got the copy shifter to feel like the original k tuned. I had the billet rsx box on my last car and to be honest I may prefer the $99 eBay one in my car now 😭 the CRV cluster and carbon trim were Xmas gifts from my lovely wife 👏🏻 Thankyou for the compliments. One piece at a time I will make the inside and outside as nice as I strive to have the engine bay.
you know the engine bay is where it is at. the hood is like mini skirt that barely covers the goods 😃😛

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #749 ·
Some just because pictures 😅 for now I am simply enjoying the car and saving up for more parts 👍
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle
Paint looks ok in some angles 😅 took it out for a cold morning cruise 👍
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light

my favorite part of the whole car , the K of course 💯
Vehicle Grille Car Hood Automotive tire

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,127 Posts
Some just because pictures 😅 for now I am simply enjoying the car and saving up for more parts 👍
View attachment 105943 Paint looks ok in some angles 😅 took it out for a cold morning cruise 👍 View attachment 105945
my favorite part of the whole car , the K of course 💯
View attachment 105944
car is so clean. it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. attention to detail is spot on. (y)(y)(y)

the murder black is a nice theme. it is a shame there is not a jdm black oil dip stick. though the orange looks good in your engine bay.

i wish my engine bay had room like yours. you have room for every cool mechanical gizmo in the world.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #751 ·
car is so clean. it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. attention to detail is spot on. (y)(y)(y)

the murder black is a nice theme. it is a shame there is not a jdm black oil dip stick. though the orange looks good in your engine bay.

i wish my engine bay had room like yours. you have room for every cool mechanical gizmo in the world.
Thankyou, if you saw the paint in person you would know otherwise 😅pretty sure the passenger fender is rattle canned as well. It doesn’t really bother me because the body is straight for the most part so when I do get it wrapped or painted it shouldn’t take too
Much extra work. The space in the engine bay is very nice , part of the benefits to having the older chassis with the NA k platform. Takes about an hour to pull the swap and everything is done up top except the axles. And I actually do have a black k tuned style dipstick but I didn’t trust the marks on it vs my oem dipstick. When I did the last oil change I used the oem one to check the level and haven’t changed it since.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #753 ·
Messing around with pipes and couplers thinking about options
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Car Automotive air manifold

a project that will be finished another day. I need to take the trip to a friends house and go through his scrap box for some more bends and probably order another 3” straight coupler.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,127 Posts
Thankyou, if you saw the paint in person you would know otherwise 😅pretty sure the passenger fender is rattle canned as well. It doesn’t really bother me because the body is straight for the most part so when I do get it wrapped or painted it shouldn’t take too
Much extra work. The space in the engine bay is very nice , part of the benefits to having the older chassis with the NA k platform. Takes about an hour to pull the swap and everything is done up top except the axles. And I actually do have a black k tuned style dipstick but I didn’t trust the marks on it vs my oem dipstick. When I did the last oil change I used the oem one to check the level and haven’t changed it since.
shoot.... you haven't seen my paint. I need the top, hood, hatch painted. i dont' post pics of the outside of my car right now because i do not want someone to track it and steal it. i need to be able to move around, then i will share it on the front page.

i am glad the jdm dc5 has a black dip stick, works on all k20's. someone needs to make a k24 black oem retro one.

i sold my 09 k24z3 shortblock. still have the 06 08 K24a2 longblock assembly and one 04 05 k24a2 head assembly. my niece wants out of the K-game, so she is dumping her K20a2 longblock assembly off on me to sell.

i just ordered a oem headgasket, intake (oversize) valve guides, keepers (32), exhaust (oversize) valve guides, all new O-rings for the cylinder head sensors and crank sensor (they are cheap af, i already tq'd them and now removing them). I have a new crank pulley seal, just installed one so i will check it for service spec. ordered new crank pulley bolt, already have another pulse plate just installed one thou, new valve seals, and Supertech Ti retainers.

for oem valve springs i will be trying Ti retainers. i have them when i had IPS K2 cams with Eibach valve springs. i figure since i am using a prb double valve springs (PCX AP1 pn#s) with new pcx oem seats

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #755 ·
shoot.... you haven't seen my paint. I need the top, hood, hatch painted. i dont' post pics of the outside of my car right now because i do not want someone to track it and steal it. i need to be able to move around, then i will share it on the front page.

i am glad the jdm dc5 has a black dip stick, works on all k20's. someone needs to make a k24 black oem retro one.

i sold my 09 k24z3 shortblock. still have the 06 08 K24a2 longblock assembly and one 04 05 k24a2 head assembly. my niece wants out of the K-game, so she is dumping her K20a2 longblock assembly off on me to sell.

i just ordered a oem headgasket, intake (oversize) valve guides, keepers (32), exhaust (oversize) valve guides, all new O-rings for the cylinder head sensors and crank sensor (they are cheap af, i already tq'd them and now removing them). I have a new crank pulley seal, just installed one so i will check it for service spec. ordered new crank pulley bolt, already have another pulse plate just installed one thou, new valve seals, and Supertech Ti retainers.

for oem valve springs i will be trying Ti retainers. i have them when i had IPS K2 cams with Eibach valve springs. i figure since i am using a prb double valve springs (PCX AP1 pn#s) with new pcx oem seats
The 06-08 longblock is a real score. You have the good cams and + 1 intake valves on the rbb-3 head.as well as a better crank. Those cams may even do well in your k20 I think there was a thread a guy got 10 whp and like 12 tq from the swap.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #757 ·
The rain came so the time came to make a new intake if I wanted to keep driving the car around. Grabbed what I had and also made a trip to a friends house to look through his box for another 3” pipe. I came up with 2 different setups and am working on a 3rd. These are purely to keep my air filter/engine safe from water that splashes around in the bumper and wheel area until nicer weather comes back around.
Much too wet for the hybrid racing CAI 💀
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Plant Vehicle

old intake removed
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive parking light

3” short ram with v stack pointed straight at the Frame. This setup gave mid 70s iat on a 55 deg. day after 20 min or so of driving staying consistent. This actually suprised me being inside the bay.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

A different aluminum piece with a straight coupler and the hybrid racing v stack/filter combo. This one still needs the IAT fitted (drilled into the silicone elbow for the other one )
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

A brand new coupler will replace the poorly cut one 💀💀
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,127 Posts
Little care package from @Them Witches 😎 some hard race sway bar bushings for when I remove it to do new shifter cables. Thanks buddy 👍 View attachment 106022
you are welcome sir.
the place where I mailed has pick up at 12pm by the mainline express heading west. stuff does not get chopped up waiting til 5 them gets missed cuz it is late then waits til the next day. that is the value of 12pm pickup is employees are going to put hands on it.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,127 Posts
The rain came so the time came to make a new intake if I wanted to keep driving the car around. Grabbed what I had and also made a trip to a friends house to look through his box for another 3” pipe. I came up with 2 different setups and am working on a 3rd. These are purely to keep my air filter/engine safe from water that splashes around in the bumper and wheel area until nicer weather comes back around.
Much too wet for the hybrid racing CAI 💀
View attachment 106203
old intake removed
View attachment 106204
3” short ram with v stack pointed straight at the Frame. This setup gave mid 70s iat on a 55 deg. day after 20 min or so of driving staying consistent. This actually suprised me being inside the bay.

View attachment 106205 View attachment 106206
A different aluminum piece with a straight coupler and the hybrid racing v stack/filter combo. This one still needs the IAT fitted (drilled into the silicone elbow for the other one ) View attachment 106207
A brand new coupler will replace the poorly cut one 💀💀 View attachment 106208 View attachment 106209
oh snap the work is solid. You will like the throttle response of the shorter intake. If you add up the length of intake piping Honda came up with for the K20 and the K24, it is actually a little bit longer (3.5"-5") than what you have with the short intake in the image. Also Honda's length was also dictated by reaching the air box's placement which could have dictated that length some, so there is a happy medium there to find with the right intake length that works for the engine best per application. I think that what you have will be worth keeping and by simplicity if you are looking to play with the length some you can do that by adjusting the length of pipe b/t.

I always felt that CAI intakes were too long for my builds though there was a top end number change, then when I went to SRI with velocity stack I said hell yeah hell yeah.

741 - 760 of 780 Posts