Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
701 - 720 of 756 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Traction in first gear is none, second gear will spin if I go wot anywhere near or in vtec. If I am spinning second and go into third hard it will keep traction broken. The tires are ok but I know there’s more grip to be had. I will be getting 225/50/15 toyo r888 for the front instead of the 205 nitto neo gen that I have now. Especially since I will be adding to the engine. I am hoping the 50 vtc and oil pump swap is good for some extra Ponies as well as rev limit.
this man is speaking a language only few really understand. We can only reward him for his heroism fighting the fever of tuning fever... And be raising a family.. @KBuilt all the prep talk nas going over things formulating a plan on how to bring it to the wife " Honey this is the engine, this one. I can sell this one and it will all cost in the end being $40rr..... $550. And plus, it will redline 1,000 to 2,000 rpm higher, has titanium valves, LSD, and will have 15" brakes. lol..

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #702 ·
this man is speaking a language only few really understand. We can only reward him for his heroism fighting the fever of tuning fever... And be raising a family.. @KBuilt all the prep talk nas going over things formulating a plan on how to bring it to the wife " Honey this is the engine, this one. I can sell this one and it will all cost in the end being $40rr..... $550. And plus, it will redline 1,000 to 2,000 rpm higher, has titanium valves, LSD, and will have 15" brakes. lol..
Ya I’ve learned how to tip toe into the “I’m about to spend more money on the car “ talks. Sometimes days or weeks of sliding towards it quietly. Lol

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #703 ·
Right now it doesn’t “need” anything but there is a long list of wants lol. A new oem black paint job and carbon fenders are pretty high up there on that list but so is a built motor and nitrous lol. Bigger tires, blox drag suspension , ultra intake manifold /90mm tb. I could keep going lol.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Right now it doesn’t “need” anything but there is a long list of wants lol. A new oem black paint job and carbon fenders are pretty high up there on that list but so is a built motor and nitrous lol. Bigger tires, blox drag suspension , ultra intake manifold /90mm tb. I could keep going lol.
paint fever over here.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,014 Posts
The squeezed boxes are all brand new feeling..
Not sure if I read it here, but this was funny :D. Anyway, in my early 20'ies not everything was better. If I compare it now power was less, but endurance was better. Weight was a bit higher and I was far away from 100 chin-ups in 5 min. My knowledge was way beyond my possibilities, I just came back from military service, went back to full time school (2 year approach) to be able to study at a technical University. I had no GF, but a nice black hatch with an 1.6 Liter GM engine (2 valve head, 110 hp), nothing special, but just slight over 700 kg kerb weight, making it a fun car. If I would had known Honda, I may have not turned the University path, as I would have seen the perfect engine is already there, no need to improve. Thanks to god, I didn't know it :D.

I am hoping the 50 vtc and oil pump swap is good for some extra Ponies as well as rev limit.
More midrange ponies will kill your tires, expect not too much for the higher revs!

Traction in first gear is none, second gear will spin if I go wot anywhere near or in vtec
Wait until you see what happens if your engine can breath more after VTEC with the 50° VTC gear wheel.

We can only reward him for his heroism fighting the fever of tuning fever... And be raising a family
Nicely said 🆙

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #707 ·
Not sure if I read it here, but this was funny :D. Anyway, in my early 20'ies not everything was better. If I compare it now power was less, but endurance was better. Weight was a bit higher and I was far away from 100 chin-ups in 5 min. My knowledge was way beyond my possibilities, I just came back from military service, went back to full time school (2 year approach) to be able to study at a technical University. I had no GF, but a nice black hatch with an 1.6 Liter GM engine (2 valve head, 110 hp), nothing special, but just slight over 700 kg kerb weight, making it a fun car. If I would had known Honda, I may have not turned the University path, as I would have seen the perfect engine is already there, no need to improve. Thanks to god, I didn't know it :D.

More midrange ponies will kill your tires, expect not too much for the higher revs!

Wait until you see what happens if your engine can breath more after VTEC with the 50° VTC gear wheel.

Nicely said 🆙
I have it limited to 7500 rpm currently. I will be going to 8k with the 4piston oil pump as long as the engine continues to make power up there. I am looking forward to feeling the vtc difference.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,014 Posts
I will be going to 8k with the 4piston oil pump
Pretty high for a stock setup. Maybe it has not that much effect on a daily, which is rarely brought to that point of revving. The IM and the OEM cams will reduce power before, if not magic happened :D.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #709 ·
Pretty high for a stock setup. Maybe it has not that much effect on a daily, which is rarely brought to that point of revving. The IM and the OEM cams will reduce power before, if not magic happened :D.
I guess I’m being optimistic and hoping for similar results to other stock tsx engines with type s pumps being revved past 8 and holding power. I am going to do my best to re-tune with a dyno.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #710 ·
I guess I’m being optimistic and hoping for similar results to other stock tsx engines with type s pumps being revved past 8 and holding power. I am going to do my best to re-tune with a dyno.
Do you think the z1 intake cam would help carry power higher ?

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #711 · (Edited)
I have been window shopping around for valvetrain and cams for the PRB cylinder head. I’m sure that would help carry power past 8k 😅. I’m terrible with being indecisive on the route for putting engines together. Too many what if’s and maybes. I do know I only want to take the motor out and put it back in once , or completely build a new engine and leave my k24a stock with the 660cc injectors and 50vtc added keeping the balance shaft oil pump.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
When I h
I have been window shopping around for valvetrain and cams for the PRB cylinder head. I’m sure that would help carry power past 8k 😅. I’m terrible with being indecisive on the route for putting engines together. Too many what if’s and maybes. I do know I only want to take the motor out and put it back in once , or completely build a new engine and leave my k24a stock with the 660cc injectors and 50vtc added keeping the balance shaft oil pump.
Nothing wrong with being indecisive when putting a build together or an engine together. You, I am sure, just want to do it correctly. After talking to LotusElise, I want to invest in different injectors and sell the RDX injectors, clips, etc. I should get Bosch 650cc dual spray pattern injectors. This way I can flex between E85 and 93oct. Running E85 would be the best way to get as much power from a 86x86 engine without running cams that are above PRC cams.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #713 ·
When I h

Nothing wrong with being indecisive when putting a build together or an engine together. You, I am sure, just want to do it correctly. After talking to LotusElise, I want to invest in different injectors and sell the RDX injectors, clips, etc. I should get Bosch 650cc dual spray pattern injectors. This way I can flex between E85 and 93oct. Running E85 would be the best way to get as much power from a 86x86 engine without running cams that are above PRC cams.
I would love to tune on corn. It’s an hour either way for me to get it though -_- I have heard of people getting it delivered but I’m not sure how that would work out for me. I usually will drive the Honda about once a week or so. My fuel filter is E safe and the injectors I’ll be using are flex fuel so that all should be good but I imagine if you let it sit long enough it will gum up.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I would love to tune on corn. It’s an hour either way for me to get it though -_- I have heard of people getting it delivered but I’m not sure how that would work out for me. I usually will drive the Honda about once a week or so. My fuel filter is E safe and the injectors I’ll be using are flex fuel so that all should be good but I imagine if you let it sit long enough it will gum up.
Good point. See with running E85 I have more to learn. I want to be capable if I choose to run it. My fuel system is ready for it except the injectors. I went with the RDX injectors because I already had (2 qty.) brand new in box RDX assemblies left over from 2009.

I am lucky because there is an E85 pump 20 mins away from my house and I already make trips that way at least once a week. I may just sell the RDX injectors and get the Bosch 650cc injectors. I need to think more on this and decide if I am really going to go through with E85 preparation and tune. Mainly, I do not want to ever be caught in a situation where I cannot find E85 away from the local pump.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #715 ·
Good point. See with running E85 I have more to learn. I want to be capable if I choose to run it. My fuel system is ready for it except the injectors. I went with the RDX injectors because I already had (2 qty.) brand new in box RDX assemblies left over from 2009.

I am lucky because there is an E85 pump 20 mins away from my house and I already make trips that way at least once a week. I may just sell the RDX injectors and get the Bosch 650cc injectors. I need to think more on this and decide if I am really going to go through with E85 preparation and tune. Mainly, I do not want to ever be caught in a situation where I cannot find E85 away from the local pump.
That’s my worry , which is why I went with the 92 oct tune. If the injectors /fuel filter don’t have stainless steel internals irs not a great idea to let the corn sit in the system for too long without idling the car at least is all. And eventually it will eat through non PTFE line but that takes quite awhile. Same goes for the stock gas tank.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
It sounds like I need to sit down and run figures on E85 vs running race gas. Which one grants more power, which one has less wear and tear on parts. I do not mind having a drum fuel of race gas on hand for spirited driving and track days. This way I can run 93oct. when I am not running race fuel and I could still get away with using the RDX injectors.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #717 ·
It sounds like I need to sit down and run figures on E85 vs running race gas. Which one grants more power, which one has less wear and tear on parts. I do not mind having a drum fuel of race gas on hand for spirited driving and track days. This way I can run 93oct. when I am not running race fuel and I could still get away with using the RDX injectors.
I think a flex fuel system would be most ideal. The GM sensor gets used I believe and through KPRO it compensates for any Ethanol content % which can vary quite a bit from pump to pump or when switching to 91-93 oct. assuming you got tuned for both fuels.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,014 Posts
With a stock longblock and a stock IM?

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #720 ·
I’m not sure yet but it looks like the engine build may start sooner than later. I went for a short drive earlier and I noticed the coolant temp get to 195 once I was back home and idling for 5 min or so with the fan on (@180 fan kicks on /180 thermostat ) I pull in the garage and after venting the pressure I pulled the rad cap and saw a foamy collection of bubbles at the top. Possible signs of the head gasket going ?

701 - 720 of 756 Posts