Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
681 - 700 of 756 Posts

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
I was looking at the hybrid shifter cable bushings but the precision works (k tuned rep) were only $30 vs $75 but now I see why they’re cheaper lol. On my first k24 swap I would miss second gear almost every time I tried to shift it hard until I replaced the bushings with k tuned ones and then never missed again. I put the billet shifter stops on my box and that with the new bushing makes my feel a lot more confident and positive going into the next gears especially with 4-5-6
@Them Witches now this is what I’m talking about. Nice and flush with the light 😎 the v stack would have to go behind it but this looks very good for a racecar I think View attachment 105309
The gears and gasoline k24 ek. Pretty nice car they put together making 250+ on a k24a with the usual bolt on suspects.
Brother that is what I am talking about. Absolutely clean and custom. That looks like a cut from a aluminum schedule 180 or schedule XX 6" or 8" pipe with a velocity stack welded to the backside. With a thin cut of pipe like that it could be shaped to the convex of the headlight and the velocity stack could or can be also miter cut and slowly shaped to match the convex shape. Finally, the 6"-8" pipe cut can be further flushed down and polished to remove any weld distortion .

Good chance they found a different way to make it, however, what I mentioned is one way to make that yourself. I am glad you showed this to me, you have my wheels spinning on custom scoops and duct connections. o_O

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #682 ·
Brother that is what I am talking about. Absolutely clean and custom. That looks like a cut from a aluminum schedule 180 or schedule XX 6" or 8" pipe with a velocity stack welded to the backside. With a thin cut of pipe like that it could be shaped to the convex of the headlight and the velocity stack could or can be also miter cut and slowly shaped to match the convex shape. Finally, the 6"-8" pipe cut can be further flushed down and polished to remove any weld distortion .

Good chance they found a different way to make it, however, what I mentioned is one way to make that yourself. I am glad you showed this to me, you have my wheels spinning on custom scoops and duct connections. o_O
I am looking at sets of headlights now lol so I can get to work on mine. 😅 also looking at how I can duct the bumper area a bit better for the current CAI

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Make sure you purchase (2) extra lock nuts to install them because you will ruin the locking factor on the nuts once you tighten them together to spin the studs in. I ordered (7) just for this. The studs will basically thread in hand tight a good ways in. I would spin the studs in leaving 31/32" or 24.606mm flush to the end of the stud. I choose to use a little it of anti-seize on the studs where they go into the cylinder head. Where the self locking nuts thread on I used anti-seize to protect the threads since the nuts will thread further than normal when doubling them to spin the studs in.

Self-Locking nuts are 33lbf-ft as well as the bolts

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #687 ·
Make sure you purchase (2) extra lock nuts to install them because you will ruin the locking factor on the nuts once you tighten them together to spin the studs in. I ordered (7) just for this. The studs will basically thread in hand tight a good ways in. I would spin the studs in leaving 31/32" or 24.606mm flush to the end of the stud. I choose to use a little it of anti-seize on the studs where they go into the cylinder head. Where the self locking nuts thread on I used anti-seize to protect the threads since the nuts will thread further than normal when doubling them to spin the studs in.

Self-Locking nuts are 33lbf-ft as well as the bolts
I will remember that , thanks for the tips !

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #689 · (Edited)
Quick maintenance and clean up for a family member I busted out Sunday morning
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Car

engine looks ok, runs smooth and quiet for 170k miles
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

who knew but autozone carries oem Honda filters 👍thought I would replace the air filter while I was in there but turns out it has a brand new one already 👏🏻
Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

after a quick spray degrease and cloth rag
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

my car got some neighbor attention during this 😅
Something about having it outside makes the swap look that much cooler 😎

Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

I did find out during my short escapades with the car that my starter is acting up so I ordered a used oem one for dirt cheap that should ship out tomorrow 👍

Attachments

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Quick maintenance and clean up for a family member I busted out Sunday morning
View attachment 105334
engine looks ok, runs smooth and quiet for 170k miles
View attachment 105335
who knew but autozone carries oem Honda filters 👍thought I would replace the air filter while I was in there but turns out it has a brand new one already 👏🏻
View attachment 105336
after a quick spray degrease and cloth rag
View attachment 105337
my car got some neighbor attention during this 😅

View attachment 105341 View attachment 105338 View attachment 105340 View attachment 105342
I did find out during my short escapades with the car that my starter is acting up so I ordered a used oem one for dirt cheap that should ship out tomorrow 👍
I heard the Honda filters are made by Fram. I just got two of them in mail last night lol...

Yeah getting a new starter is next on my list and a Denso Air/Fuel Sensor.

Your swap looks good man. I miss my 95 Coupe, the EK & EG coupes just look good to me.

The clean up job on the V6 turned out nice.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,023 Posts
You made a family member happy 🆙! Looks good.

The chamber looks like positive on the rear axis. Did you change the ride height without adapting the toe and chamber? Just curious why the heck this looks like so positive, which wouldn't be a bit dangerous during cornering.

Was that blocking wood behind the front wheel to stop your car from rolling backwards into the street. Do you need to install a hand brake system?

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
I heard the Honda filters are made by Fram. I just got two of them in mail last night lol...

Yeah getting a new starter is next on my list and a Denso Air/Fuel Sensor.

Your swap looks good man. I miss my 95 Coupe, the EK & EG coupes just look good to me.

The clean up job on the V6 turned out nice.
Thankyou ! Ya I found an old toothbrush for under the valve cover grommets. Nothing serious but I did want to get some of the age off the bay.

You made a family member happy 🆙! Looks good.

The chamber looks like positive on the rear axis. Did you change the ride height without adapting the toe and chamber? Just curious why the heck this looks like so positive, which wouldn't be a bit dangerous during cornering.

Was that blocking wood behind the front wheel to stop your car from rolling backwards into the street. Do you need to install a hand brake system?
I haven’t messed with the suspension since I got it back from the tire shop. I will look at the sheet from them but I’m pretty sure I got close to oem specs all around. It feels great driving and stays straight. The piece of wood was just extra insurance. the car has the original e brake functioning but I don’t like to leave the transmission in gear on hills/when the car is off.

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #693 ·
Thankyou ! Ya I found an old toothbrush for under the valve cover grommets. Nothing serious but I did want to get some of the age off the bay.

I haven’t messed with the suspension since I got it back from the tire shop. I will look at the sheet from them but I’m pretty sure I got close to oem specs all around. It feels great driving and stays straight. The piece of wood was just extra insurance. the car has the original e brake functioning but I don’t like to leave the transmission in gear on hills/when the car is off.
I put two jack stands and the jack before getting under the car , always chock the wheels on an incline etc just paranoid little practices in case my shit fails lol

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,023 Posts
the car has the original e brake functioning but I don’t like to leave the transmission in gear on hills/when the car is off.
At my VW Polo the hand brake cable sticks at the right wheel. I delay the cable swap since months, just leave the transmission in gear. Do you have the feeling this approach has an advantage to e.g. the play of the gear wheels or anything else?

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
At my VW Polo the hand brake cable sticks at the right wheel. I delay the cable swap since months, just leave the transmission in gear. Do you have the feeling this approach has an advantage to e.g. the play of the gear wheels or anything else?
I don’t know for sure if it does anything , I’ve always thought it was better not to leave the weight of the vehicle against the gears. I know it’s common practice to use the e brake and put in gear when parking on hills there’s just something about it I don’t like lol

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #696 ·
Drove the car to work the other day so I could drop it off at the tire shop to be aligned , now that everything is in spec it drives much nicer , they even made my steering wheel straight during the process which was nice. It’s been since the first initial post that I went over the suspension setup so I will list the parts again here. View attachment 104426

-Tein super street 1 piece suspension
-truhart upper control arms
-new oem replacement tie rods
-SRR extended ball joints (roll center adjuster)
-no name traction bar (93$ on eBay )
-hardened steel rear camber kits
-spherical toe links
-energy suspension rear trailing arm bushing
-Amazon rear lca with upgraded poly bushings
-205/50/15 nitto neo gen front tires w /15x8 str wheels
-oem HX 14” wheels on rear

for a somewhat budget setup the car handles very nicely and manages the power of the k24 pretty well.
@LotusElise here is what my alignment ended up being ^^^

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #698 ·
Thanks @KBuilt. Minus 0.3° left is not much. I would expect -1.2° for a race car at the rear chamber. Front more. Why the gave left more the right? Should be different from logic, doesn't it?
I think there was a discrepancy with my aftermarket toe kit. I asked them to put it as close to oem as they could with the setup and ride height I have. I probably will raise the front end for bigger tires and take it back at some point as well as put a different toe kit or oem back on the car.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,023 Posts
I think there was a discrepancy with my aftermarket toe kit.
Ok. Is there an option to pull chamber to more negative values, or do they already rest against the stop?

for bigger tires
Is there actually too much torque and slippery 🤨?

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #700 ·
Ok. Is there an option to pull chamber to more negative values, or do they already rest against the stop?

Is there actually too much torque and slippery 🤨?
Traction in first gear is none, second gear will spin if I go wot anywhere near or in vtec. If I am spinning second and go into third hard it will keep traction broken. The tires are ok but I know there’s more grip to be had. I will be getting 225/50/15 toyo r888 for the front instead of the 205 nitto neo gen that I have now. Especially since I will be adding to the engine. I am hoping the 50 vtc and oil pump swap is good for some extra Ponies as well as rev limit.

681 - 700 of 756 Posts