Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
601 - 620 of 620 Posts

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #601 ·
I have been seeing the battery go too low to start the car after a few days of not running it , more than likely I will switch to an oem battery and make a new charge harness so the car is more reliable to start on demand.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #603 ·
Mmmmhhhh...open the black-silver-theme for more color 🧐?
I’ve always liked the oem type r red. I have 3 valve covers so who knows what will happen 😂. I wouldn’t mind picking up another rbc to play around with shaving and Powdercoat black but that’s money better spent elsewhere right now.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 ·
After what feels like forever we finally have a worthy update to the k24 engine build….

1ADFB578-726A-423C-9C9D-FA9F9B4BD174.jpeg
E05CD3C8-B35B-400A-AD95-6C808CE789AC.png

With the help of my wife I was able to get this important piece to my future plans for the
Motor as an early birthday gift 😄 I saw real st was selling them on their eBay store and made sure to get it ordered before they sold out. These type s pumps have been like spotting unicorns out here for a year now and I’m happy to give the 2.4 what it needs to rev higher. It’s Incredible how light the k20 pump is.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #606 ·
I think now that the bottom end will spin a bit higher it’s time to include the PRB-1 cylinder head and put this thing to use that I’ve had sitting over a year. It will get a hot tank and resurface at the least before install ,
C1FE9B5F-B123-4066-9257-152D88E19B55.jpeg
95FDCF1E-5379-4B71-AE69-FDB1C84E2FC7.jpeg
new valve guides seals etc.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #608 ·
Good find on the oil pump, I'm thinking I should just buy any part I need now as it seems like all parts are becoming scarce
Over the last year I have noticed prices only going up and quantity of parts declining. Everything sold out , backorder etc. I would hoard any spare parts you can. The engines aren’t really the issue but stuff like oem shifter box and cables , 02-04 wiring and ecu , 2.0 half shafts all the swap must haves are slim pickins.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on those. I went ahead and searched and bought those parts you mentioned, sure enough there were only a few wiring harness and ecu options available! There's a guy with 02-04 CRX wiring harness in Canada I may grab an extra from if the CRX is compatible.

The half shaft I found is from a 02-06 RSX type is k20, is this the one I want? Ebay half shaft listing

Not trying to hijack your thread with random parts disussion but since we're on the topic I figured I'd ask.

Do you do your own hot tanking Kbuilt? I found a great video of how to hot tank using a metal barrel and a turkey cooker I think I'm going to try.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You guys are with it. I just bought an extra 06-08 K24a2 complete assembly. I am buying another oil pump and a Z3 tranny. I mean it is a mixture of things, and now word is Japan is wanting to hold back their exclusive JDM market and to have or hold parts for Japan. The K24 boys dried the K20 oil pumps up lol... Yet it is kind of true.

The game now is to get extra replacement parts for your specific set up, and that may take some studying of the market, tuning scene online, and going out and securing friendships in the world based on Honda performance shop owners, local junkyards, and being in the know with online business employee's. The best friend friend to make is someone that works at the parts warehouse, while that friend can "set one aside" for you.

Something I have been doing is emailing companies and asking questions. That way it gives me a chance to ask the hard questions.

KBuilt your build is looking nice.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #611 · (Edited)
You guys are with it. I just bought an extra 06-08 K24a2 complete assembly. I am buying another oil pump and a Z3 tranny. I mean it is a mixture of things, and now word is Japan is wanting to hold back their exclusive JDM market and to have or hold parts for Japan. The K24 boys dried the K20 oil pumps up lol... Yet it is kind of true.

The game now is to get extra replacement parts for your specific set up, and that may take some studying of the market, tuning scene online, and going out and securing friendships in the world based on Honda performance shop owners, local junkyards, and being in the know with online business employee's. The best friend friend to make is someone that works at the parts warehouse, while that friend can "set one aside" for you.

Something I have been doing is emailing companies and asking questions. That way it gives me a chance to ask the hard questions.

KBuilt your build is looking nice.
Thanks ! 😎 felt good to add to the parts collection.I see you are doing the same 👍 I think the tsx heads are more capable than people think and I will be putting my rbb-2 on my k20z1 block at some point. The z1 head will go on the k24a block first as it’s my primary engine but I really would like to do a second 2.0 based build.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #612 ·
Thanks for the heads up on those. I went ahead and searched and bought those parts you mentioned, sure enough there were only a few wiring harness and ecu options available! There's a guy with 02-04 CRX wiring harness in Canada I may grab an extra from if the CRX is compatible.

The half shaft I found is from a 02-06 RSX type is k20, is this the one I want? Ebay half shaft listing

Not trying to hijack your thread with random parts disussion but since we're on the topic I figured I'd ask.

Do you do your own hot tanking Kbuilt? I found a great video of how to hot tank using a metal barrel and a turkey cooker I think I'm going to try.
Yes that is the right half shaft. I clean all my stuff with either a hot water power washer and some mix of whatever cleaners I have , or degreaser with various brushes and spray bottles. Another good way to get the engines and trans bare metal is scrubbing or tooth brushing with some gas in a spray bottle. if you’re talking about the diymike setup that would work pretty well and is fairly cheap at around 75.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #613 · (Edited)

My thread is open, feel free to comment whatever lol. Although I have never heard of an 02-04 CRX ;) the crv isn’t compatible as a whole harness but the wiring connectors probably can be used. Always good to have spare oem wiring but I wouldn’t spend a lot just on garage box stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It wasn't diymike it was some older guy who was into American stuff I think. He did a electrolsis tank as well using some mesh steel as electrodes and a car battery or something, it was sweet and I will hopefully try both at some point. Speaking of diymike he is by far my favorite k24 youtuber, learned a ton from him.

Here's that video i was referring to.

Dang can't believe I mixed up the CRV and CRX 😂 Honda needs to give these cars more diverse names lol!

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #615 ·
Another small piece arrived. The funds for this new build will trickle in rather slowly but I will be ordering parts regularly and updating.
401DAF39-A2B4-48E3-9D07-1D87CA78A011.jpeg

Figured for the cheap price of $18 it was worth trying this lower chain guide out from street rays. I will test fit first and check the clearance between the chain. When I take the engine out to install the new oil pump , vtc gear and replace all timing components I don’t want any stone left unturned. I also would like to get a 1/4 mile time with the car as it is now with the completely stock (w/ bolt ons ) rbb-2 k24a before the season is over. I’m sure I will be able to attend a test n tune at the local track more towards the end of summer.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 ·
We got back to the shop today to find the boss had picked up his new car..
564613A0-D363-45F6-AEE3-8E019870A74D.jpeg
F955F732-5795-439A-84D2-6EB6EF8A522D.jpeg
B260A28F-BA1D-40DB-83F5-21E19EC5FA0B.jpeg

I must say it’s pretty intimidating to be around. He said it makes the v10 r8 feel slow 😂 I’m promised a ride and will be sure to post a video of this beautiful mclaren.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #620 ·
Where did you get the ecu mount from?

👍 i love it, Keeps the computer very secure and you can self tap it right to the floor or extend your wiring and put it anywhere.

601 - 620 of 620 Posts