Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
581 - 600 of 620 Posts

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #581 ·
My wife had a friend over this afternoon so I was able to take the coupe out and have a little fun. The car feels really strong , I’m looking to take it to the drag strip sometime this summer on some radials and see if I can get a 12.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Fab work always takes time , you’ve been pretty damn patient this far lol
Clearance from turbo out for the down pipe to get past the steering arms is ridiculous man, i had to do some serious pie cutting and tig welding to get sharp enough 90 ° to get past it, ill post some updates after this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #583 ·
Clearance from turbo out for the down pipe to get past the steering arms is ridiculous man, i had to do some serious pie cutting and tig welding to get sharp enough 90 ° to get past it, ill post some updates after this weekend.

Ya I want to see it , are you doing all the welding work yourself ? My buddy does all that and some of the turbo stuff I’ve seen I don’t even know how he gets away with some of the angles.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Ya I want to see it , are you doing all the welding work yourself ? My buddy does all that and some of the turbo stuff I’ve seen I don’t even know how he gets away with some of the angles.
Yea i am, but i a newbie lol, its a learning experience

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Here, not the prettiest welds but i did back purge it so should last long time

The clearance is ridiculous do, between the pipe and steering arm maybe quarter inch at the most when turning wheel to the left.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,831 Posts
Wow that is some serious cooling power, whatever is towing that must be a champ.
Yeah, almost a 1 MW cooling power from a landfill gas engine plant. The car: VW Tiguan, 2.0 TDI, just a I4 Diesel engine.

My wife had a friend over this afternoon so I was able to take the coupe out and have a little fun. The car feels really strong , I’m looking to take it to the drag strip sometime this summer on some radials and see if I can get a 12.
Wow, that sounds great. Did you log it?

Back purge is using forming gas (10 % H2, 90 % N2)?

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Yeah, almost a 1 MW cooling power from a landfill gas engine plant. The car: VW Tiguan, 2.0 TDI, just a I4 Diesel engine.

Wow, that sounds great. Did you log it?

Back purge is using forming gas (10 % H2, 90 % N2)?
Back purging using 100% Argon gas

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,831 Posts
Back purging using 100% Argon gas
Using forming gas inside helps to smooth the weld root as you know when it is capsulated inside the pipe in the section of the welded pipe. Does your approach has the same intention or is it TIG welding, where Argon gas is often used to prevent oxygen from entering the weld zone?

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Yes, remove oxygen and prevent sugaring on the inside of the weld especially on a exhaust pipes where you introduce high heat to the pipe, so it does not change the Stainless Properties and prevent it from rusting, at least that is how i understand it

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,831 Posts
Yes, remove oxygen and prevent sugaring on the inside of the weld especially on a exhaust pipes where you introduce high heat to the pipe, so it does not change the Stainless Properties and prevent it from rusting, at least that is how i understand it
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #591 ·

The clearance is ridiculous do, between the pipe and steering arm maybe quarter inch at the most when turning wheel to the left.

This looks awesome. Tight as a diamond up a dwarfs ass but I think you did a great job.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
This looks awesome. Tight as a diamond up a dwarfs ass but I think you did a great job.
Yea, problem was that the pie cuts where real close to each weld and it was hot as hell, I was just glad I did not make holes in pipe lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
(y)The weld going down the center of the two pipes looks super clean Bozz, the one on the right looks almost perfect and the left on is the one that looks the worst to me. Still a hell of a lot better than I could do

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
(y)The weld going down the center of the two pipes looks super clean Bozz, the one on the right looks almost perfect and the left on is the one that looks the worst to me. Still a hell of a lot better than I could do
Thanks man, its a new skill for me, i could have paid someone to do this but i wanted to do some parts of my car on my own and stuff like this, who is going to come to your shop, spend countless hours cutting pipes and then weld , i made a investment and got my self a nice tig welder so i can do them type of projects my self.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #598 ·
Hey KBuilt that is looking really really tremendous. I just purchased a car and hope to do a build myself, I hope mine comes out looking that good!
I just saw your comment now , thanks for the compliments 👍 the body of the car is pretty straight but the paint is 6/10 in my honest opinion so I tried to make the engine bay look nice. Within the next couple years I will likely paint it but first will be a more powerful engine setup.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #599 ·
Drove the car to work the other day so I could drop it off at the tire shop to be aligned , now that everything is in spec it drives much nicer , they even made my steering wheel straight during the process which was nice. It’s been since the first initial post that I went over the suspension setup so I will list the parts again here.
D91D5CB1-8F84-4B01-9489-537EB40791A0.jpeg

-Tein super street 1 piece suspension
-truhart upper control arms
-new oem replacement tie rods
-SRR extended ball joints (roll center adjuster)
-no name traction bar (93$ on eBay )
-hardened steel rear camber kits
-spherical toe links
-energy suspension rear trailing arm bushing
-Amazon rear lca with upgraded poly bushings
-205/50/15 nitto neo gen front tires w /15x8 str wheels
-oem HX 14” wheels on rear

for a somewhat budget setup the car handles very nicely and manages the power of the k24 pretty well.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #600 ·
Wow I hadn’t realized it’s been a month since the last update. I guess the clock will keep ticking because I don’t really have one as of now 😂 the car has about 300 miles on the setup so far trouble free (knock on wood). And now aside from slowly gathering funds to do a few things the progress has been minimal. I have a few little oem pieces for the engine I will be ordering soon to do some maintenance and also stockpile away for the spare motor but that’s about it for now 👍

539E583B-8E2E-40CF-A51C-7ECAEF6A9569.jpeg

Maybe a different color valve cover and oil cap is in the near future , I like to switch things up every so often.

581 - 600 of 620 Posts