Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
It’s by no means perfect but the itch to do something struck me after work today so I wiped down and taped off my rbc to get it painted up.I had read the header paint dries a more flat finish and is less prone to chipping or cracking so I figured I would give that a try. The valve cover and other bits will be black so I wanted to keep the manifold a somewhat oem silver color 👍 View attachment 102250 View attachment 102251 View attachment 102252 View attachment 102253 View attachment 102254
that is a good color. I am not a fan of the IM polishing.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
Work has been busy, as well as the wife and I falling under the weather for a couple days so progress has been slow, but I did do a couple little things. Some new oem alternator bolts showed up, and I ended up getting the shifter mounted on its plate and the cables ran 👍if anyone needs part numbers for the shift fork boot,transmission studs for the mount or the alternator bolts I will have a pic included for that. View attachment 102640 View attachment 102641 View attachment 102642
it is crazy how cheap new bolts are. I like the color on the water housing.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
That would be tough, do you have a carport or anything to keep yourself out of the rain when you work ?
I don't try to work when it rains. Like Forrest Gump said there are downward rains, sideways rains, and rains that come right up from the ground..lol That is the truth here ""on the edge of the earth" where I live on the Chesapeake Bay/ Atlantic Ocean.

The GTO is in the carport. Where I live it rains for 1-3 days then it is sunny for 5 days until the jet stream comes again from the west coast or storms from the Atlantic up from the South. It will be cold here in the next few weeks so work will get into high gear.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
Nice. I love the progress. I just got mu RBC on and test fitted. I have some port matching to do on the head. There are some sharp edges that need some filing. I can see all down the runners with the plenum off.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
that looks so fresh brother. I love the black valve cover, Radium fuel rail, and the RBC paint job. I have a wrinkle black valve cover but I can't run it with my new set up because I have to weld -10 AN bungs to it.

JHPUSA.com has the black jdm dipstick in stock for $25. The orange one just would not look as good as the black one.
What size throttle body do you have brother?

If you decide to go with a PNP RBC IM send it my way and I will hook you up on the price cheaper than anyone else will do it for. I do really good work. I don't blame you if you go through someone else though, I am on the east coast and I would be willing to bet you know someone already that does that kind of work.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
View attachment 102750
A small order came in yesterday
-valve cover gasket
-shift cable cotter pins
-timing tensioner cover
-upper shift cable insert/box side
-retainer clips for shift cables
It’s always nice to see those red tags show up, progress is being made 👌
red tags are the best. I just made a small order for more of them yesterday. I just can't get over how cheap some of the bolts and OEM parts are.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
It were with industrial engines like the 16 cylinder engine from the series 4000 with the model name L64

View attachment 103330

I was responsible for the alternation of load system (from intake till exhaust) as well as the ignition system (the first system able to deliver 50 kV peak while supporting the pre-chamber-spark plugs gently to more then 3000 h WOT operation, 350 USD/spark plug). At the 20 cylinder engine the harness has a distance of about 80 mm to the turbine housing, which has roughly 200 °C all day long, as these engines run 8000 h a year in WOT. Once we had a leakage at the flange of the turbine, so exhaust gases flow over the harness and melt it. It happened at a series end test and break in for a customer engine, that was easy to solve but a tough challenge for us engineers on the way to solution as the customer timeline was tough.
From there I know the harness can have huge loads. I know some turbo guys experienced melted harness. With an NA engine the temp.-load isn't that high, but 80 °C isn't it also a not too high capability. Just wanted to point on that.

BTW, this is a gas engine, running at 1.82 in lambda with about 4.5 bar of MAP, the combustion design process has similarity to race engines, because the idea for it was from me LOL :D.
That engine is amazing. The trade knowledge in that room is above exceptional shear quality. I was contracted at NASA for many years to perform industrial mechanical piping systems, X-Ray welding, millwright, and rigging. I used to have some interesting security clearance.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
Got the engine harness put back in place, and the new heater core arrived yesterday. Next will be installing that and wrapping up the charge and conversion harnesses. With the weather I likely will have more time from work coming up to tackle these things and get the car on the road sooner than later 🤞 View attachment 103365 View attachment 103366
Man that is clean. I like the black agenda lol...

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
Wow, that sounds very interesting. What are the advantages of X-Ray welding? Focus concentration for specific height welds?

Yes, this black-silver-theme comes out very cool and serious 🆙. I really like it KBuilt!
the advantages of X-ray welding is a piece of mind that there is zero defects in the weld's quality. It proves there is a code spec root weld with complete fusion without weld suck up. The X-rays will show improper starts and stops not having proper tie-in fusions. X-rays welds justify charging the big money.

NASA likes to use 5000psi air piping. Liquid Nitrogen piping. High Pressure steam which makes pipe grow and shrink from transition functions. They do not want any failures from poor welding. So they pay big bucks to ensure quality.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
Got off early today and after catching some z I found the motivation to start taking the dash off to replace the heater core 🙄
View attachment 103373
Hey I have an upgrade shifter spring for the left side cable. It came off the Buddy Club Short Shifter I just bought. I can mail it for free

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
Hey brother. No I do not need it. I have a K-Tuned shifter modification with the spring upgrade. That whole section that Buddy Club makes does not work with the stock shifter, only the spring is interchangeable. So I have the extra Buddy Club spring

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
Man that sucks your bag was stolen like that. The drug addicts are some of the craftiest criminal out there and such a shame they would be good at applying themselves to bettering their life. One of the hardest things to do daily and all day long is to keep a work truck locked each and every time one gets out of it 100 hundred times a day.

I have extensive weapons training. With throwing knifes I hit 75% at 25ft. With a firearm I am 100% at those distances lol..

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
What kind of knives do you use ? Sounds like good fun.
i have multiple sets. I prefer ones that are at least 6"-7" in total length. amazon has alot of them. just get a $30 to $40 set of 3-4 knifes.

only get throwing knifes that are plain full tang. i will post some pics.

I just got a mini Karambit tactical 3" blade and a titanium assist 5" blade

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
nice to see this. I know the feeling of getting close to the end. i am saving a lot of my pics until the end. I am prideful I don't want someone on the net to steal my own idea before I have it completely installed and running.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
1,356 Posts
You guys are with it. I just bought an extra 06-08 K24a2 complete assembly. I am buying another oil pump and a Z3 tranny. I mean it is a mixture of things, and now word is Japan is wanting to hold back their exclusive JDM market and to have or hold parts for Japan. The K24 boys dried the K20 oil pumps up lol... Yet it is kind of true.

The game now is to get extra replacement parts for your specific set up, and that may take some studying of the market, tuning scene online, and going out and securing friendships in the world based on Honda performance shop owners, local junkyards, and being in the know with online business employee's. The best friend friend to make is someone that works at the parts warehouse, while that friend can "set one aside" for you.

Something I have been doing is emailing companies and asking questions. That way it gives me a chance to ask the hard questions.

KBuilt your build is looking nice.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts