Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked to make a build tread of my bug, so here you go. It's a 1965 ragtop bug. It had a 2332cc turbo/injected bug motor in it, and went a best of [email protected] at sac raceway. But bug motors built that radical dont last but 5,000 miles or even less between rebuilds, so I opted for a swap. Although the fit isnt perfect, the motor fits fairly well and when its all done you wont be able to see the motor anyway.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That is awesome. How does the k20 mount in the bug chassis? So what tranny will you be running? Are you mating the k20 to a bug transmission using a custom adapter plate that you made? Also what tranny, 4-speed, 5-speed?? Sorry for all the ?'s, this is just a cool project and I am interested. Good-luck with the build.:up:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its mounted to the bug transaxle with an adapter plate that I had made by a company named Kennedy Engineered Products who makes adapter plates for lots of different motors, and they also make clutches. The tranny is a 4 speed that I built about a year ago and is using an aftermarket mainshaft (1st and 2nd gear) and an aftermarket 3rd gear. 4th gear is a stock vw part as is the ring and pinon. The diff is a Quaife. The tranny is good for about 600 hp if not "shocked".
The gearing is 3.33/1.93/1.23/.89 with a 3:88 ring and pinion.

If I dont like the way the bug tranny works in this configuration, I still have the 6 speed out of the RSX and will probably swap that in.

·
Premium Member
44,707 Posts
Very Nice:up: I love old bugs and karmann ghias. I never thought about swapping a bus though...:silly:

One question, why are you going with an air cooled intercooler setup? Wouldn't water cooled work better for your setup, or is it just too tight?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My air to air intercooler worked very well on my aircooled motor. Before the intercooler I datalogged air intake temps of over 200*F above 7psi. With the air intercooler I logged air temps under 130*F at 15psi.

Now I know air to water intercoolers are more efficient but as the water in system heatsoaks the efficiency of the cooler goes down unless you have a large water system with a good sized radiator and then your taking up the same amount of space as a air to air but with added weight.

Plus the car already has meth and nitrous injection so air charge should be okay.

·
Registered
620 Posts
omg now thats a sick build

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
mmmmmm, my roomate is rebuilding a bug and since i am doing a frank, he might want to go with this route since i will have a k20a2 bottom end laying around.

·
Registered
962 Posts
damn, that thing is going to move. A RWD turbo k-series on a chassis that light is going to be retarded to say the least.

Good luck with the build, I can't wait to see how it does at the track :up::up:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update::::
Have finished converting my 05 harness to 03 specs and adapting the harness into the vw. I tested all the relays and all seem to "click" on when I ground the related plug pins. I wired the oil pressure light and charge light and wired up the MIL light to my high beam indicator since I dont have high beams. I also wired up a clutch switch for launch control, a switch for low/high boost, and 2 stages of nitrous; one for my meth injection and the other for nitrous.

Next on the list is to pull the motor back out and finish bolt everything on and then it should be time to fire it up.

From there is over to my buddies house to have the turbo manifold built.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sick in for track times and vids..

My nieghbor works on rotaries, but from special request he put a K20a2 motor in a mini... That little thing roda out.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Has the CG been calculated or measured? With a 350lb lump hanging way out the back, massive understeer may become a good friend. Have you considered instead placing the drivetrain ahead of the rear axle and flipping the ring gear? Or, replace the VW tranaxle with a complete K-series drivetrain?

1 - 20 of 152 Posts