Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have my axles for the custom hybrid oem's but i am having difficulty removing hub. i can't seem to get the outter part off. can someone explain how to do this and what i need to salvage from the outter hub? heres a pic of the part i am confused about (part connected to shaft). thanks in advance.

·
NOR*CAL
941 Posts
look at the picture in the how to on the ksource the pictures with the hammer showing. you have to hold the axle with a vice, tilt the outter hub down, and whack it with a sledge hammer, you have to hit pretty fucking hard too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks dude. now that you mentioned it i remember seeing a how to on axles at theksource.com. i'm a loser thanks again man.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
There is also an OEM Honda Tool that is designed to take the outer joints off without beating them with a mallet. In addition to the tool you will need a slide hammer.

I will get some pics up shortly and if anyone needs the part number PM me.

·
NOR*CAL
941 Posts
or you can just knock them off with a sledge hammer or rubber mallet. and not buy any tools. and still put together a perfect holding axle. :confused: :cool:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i was able to get the hub off of the b & h series axles now when trying to insert the "H" shaft into the "B" outer hub its not working. it appears to be too big into the hub. HOW DOES THIS WORK?

·
NOR*CAL
941 Posts
im running the rsx shaft with the b series outters, the prelude shaft should be the exact same size, stand the axle straight up standing on the inner joint, then line up the splines with the b series outter, and prelude shaft, then knock the top of the outter joint, with a rubber mallet. it should slide right on. :up:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my prelude axle is from 2000 and it is slightly larger in diameter than the "B" hub or shaft. what year prelude axle did you use? could it be that i need to use a 92-96 prelude axle? does it matter if it is from a 2.2 or 2.3L vtec, no vetc MT or auto? if you could answer this i would apreciate it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The best way to remove the outer CV from axle is to use a copper hammer, holding the axle by hand, and hit the CV on the edge where it is thick. Should come off in one or two hits. A steel hammer will mark/dent the CV; a rubber hammer has not got the shock to pop the ring out of the groove.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have the cv joint (hub) off that isn't the problem. i need to know what prelude shaft fits into the "B" series hub. someone help me please

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hate to keep reposting this but i have done more research. what i find is very confusing. there are like 6-7 different axles used in various preludes between the 92-96 year and models. if NIKOS or ALLMOTOR or anyone who has been able to piece together these axles could inform me on which year, model,engine, tranny, and side prelude axle you were sucessful with.

thanks

·
NOR*CAL
941 Posts
i was told 92 and up prelude axles will work. id assume 92-96 i would think any of them would work i have heard they are all the same. wait til nikos gets ahold of the guy, i know who he is talking about he will know for sure.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks nikos and allmotor. i would just order a bunch and find out myself for others but waiting for them and the fact that they are like $30 a pop with shipping kinda rules that out.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i used inner 99 prelude and outer dc2 with dc2 shaft on passenger side and dc5 inner dc2 outer with dc2 shaft on drivers side.i was haveing problems with the passenger side being too short but with a few left over parts i found the prelude inner was a lil longer...solved all my problems right away..

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ek9k24 said:
i used inner 99 prelude and outer dc2 with dc2 shaft on passenger side and dc5 inner dc2 outer with dc2 shaft on drivers side.i was haveing problems with the passenger side being too short but with a few left over parts i found the prelude inner was a lil longer...solved all my problems right away..

are you talking about a k swap?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts