Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have been working on this build for two (2) years now. I had a Drupal site that allowed me add whatever I needed but maintaining the Drupal site on it's own is a bit time consuming trying to keep up with security patches and so on.

Anyway, this project was originally going to be part of an EG Hatch I had but my power expectations along with the condition of the hatch steered me in a different direction (one that I don't regret).

This build is for my DC5.

I am not going to bother listing engine parts because you can see everything either via pics or my expense sheet. I wanted to upload the expense sheet so that anyone interested in doing a similar project can see how much money is involved when you do it the right way and don't take shortcuts. Also, it may help some of you with part numbers when searching for stuff for your own build.

Here is the expense sheet so far and still growing as I purchase more parts:

Here is the car I originally started with

I had to cut the rear panel because it was rusted. I just got tired of all the body work that had to be done so I donated the car.

Here is the DC5 the way it still is today (completely stock)

These are 05-06 Type S rims I purchased a few months ago and some of the work I have done to them to remove curb scuffs.

Here is the block sleeved by Golden Eagle using their HD Sleeves

Here are some pics of me modifying the lower block for the ERL S2000 Oil Pump

Here I broke the oil chain guide bolt while using a torque wrench to torque it. The reason it broke was because the tail of the guide is a bit long so when you line it up with the holes, it creates angular stress on either bolt when the chain is on (typically the last one you are adding on). I had to get it machined:

And now all fixed

Here is the oil pump. I had to notch it a bit to get it to mate flush with the lower block

Here I had a problem with the windage tray making contact with the rods when spinning so I bent it a bit as well as machined some of the contact area off

Checking some clearances

Here torquing some rods

My bottom end somewhat assembled

Balanced and polished crank

Some of the parts that went into the build so far

Head work and assembly

This is the damage I purchased it with

And here is the fix

I was adding some HID's to my car and decided to see how the intercooler would fit when the time comes

How the engine looks now...but I have to replace the water pump and the accessories. I only put the old one back on because it's clean inside the passages and it covers any openings to the engine for now. By adding some of the old stuff on, I can also see what I still need to purchase and what is reusable/reliable.

Here are some pics of the intercooler and turbo

This is an on-going process. I still have a lot to buy and have yet to get a new gear set for the transmission. I should be done by the end of the summer of this year 2012.

Again, some of the OEM stuff you see, like the timing chain tensioner will be replaced. I am in the stage of fitting everything to see what I have vs what I need to replace.

Thanks for looking :)

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
Build looks good man.. :up: Keep it up

Whenever you're ready to save some money on the build and still get quality oem parts, let me know.. There a few things on your list I see you haven't purchased yet....:wink:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Build looks good man.. :up: Keep it up

Whenever you're ready to save some money on the build and still get quality oem parts, let me know.. There a few things on your list I see you haven't purchased yet....:wink:
Thanks and I'll def let you know about the parts

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
Thanks and I'll def let you know about the parts
I just realized you're in Orlando.... Cool... Im always in the area as well..... What part of Orlando you're in?

I see you took that Rsx pic in the Wal-Mart parking lot... hahahahaaha

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just realized you're in Orlando.... Cool... Im always in the area as well..... What part of Orlando you're in?

I see you took that Rsx pic in the Wal-Mart parking lot... hahahahaaha
LOL about Wal-Mart. I actually took the picture there because I was sending a picture to my wife showing her how in all these years I got a spot close to the entrance (it's always packed in there regardless of the time).

I am further east from UCF. In Wedgefield to be exact. What area are you in?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did you tape the inside of the rim when painting? I might want to do this to my 05accord rims
Na, the inside was so dirty and I tried hard to get it spotless inside but it was worthless. At that point I didn't mid overspray (which actually made it look nice and clean inside). Besides, you get so much dirt in there once they are on that you'd never be able to get it perfectly clean again (from my experience)

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
LOL about Wal-Mart. I actually took the picture there because I was sending a picture to my wife showing her how in all these years I got a spot close to the entrance (it's always packed in there regardless of the time).

I am further east from UCF. In Wedgefield to be exact. What area are you in?
Ahhhh I see.... lol.... Well you're way out there in the boonies... Don't worry.. I'm in another set of boonies as well... In Poinciana. However I am frequently in Orlando between downtown and East side near UCF as well.. Was that by the Wal-Mart on Alafaya?

Theres another member on here, good friend of mine that lives out there in Wedgefield as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ahhhh I see.... lol.... Well you're way out there in the boonies... Don't worry.. I'm in another set of boonies as well... In Poinciana. However I am frequently in Orlando between downtown and East side near UCF as well.. Was that by the Wal-Mart on Alafaya?

Theres another member on here, good friend of mine that lives out there in Wedgefield as well.
Well, my boonies is a 15 minute drive from UCF but yours is about 45-60 minutes away from UCF...LOL

Yep, that was by the Alafaya one. I think it may be the busiest one in the country. If you are ever on this side of town, PM me.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
oh boy this looks like it'll be a beast when finished! nice work dude :) :up:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts