Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum and I am based in the Republic of Ireland.

I have a 1999 6 speed Mazda MX5 NB that I will be K swapping with a JDM K24.

So far the parts I have gathered are -

Car - Non-runner but mint body work (A hard find in Ireland as we use a lot of salt on the roads and the MX5's generally turn to mush)

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Sky Car

Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle

Engine - JDM K24. Guy imports container loads of them here and I bought one. I had wanted a k24z as the exhaust packaging is much neater and would have loved to use the Napp motorsport manifold, but the Z is impossible to find in Ireland. In general, here it's probably unusual for breakers yards to have engines like that ( K24a or k24z ect ) We have right emissions laws and cars over 2L have a high road tax (1200 euro a year for a 2.2L (that's before yearly road safety test and insurance) . Also, petrol has been historically expensive in Ireland. (Currently around the 2 euro a liter mark) .

Curtain Wood Gas Electrical wiring Shipping box

Auto part Font Metal Personal luxury car Machine

Swap parts - I have elements from the K Power swap kit

• engine/gearbox adapter plate and flywheel
  • Inlet manifold
  • DBW Throttle body and plate
  • K power oil pan and oil pump to suit.
  • Rear upper coolant neck
  • 50degree vtc gear
  • full refresh kit ect
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Luggage and bags Font

Honed Development subframe - as my car is RHD it means a couple of things

1- steering elements are in an awkward spot for exhaust clearance and the standard subframe
would not work so that calls for a tubular subframe
2- Certain mounting points that come on the k power tubular will not work for and it would require fab work
3- Honed Development in Australia are making a Tubular subframe that will work with right hand drive conversions
and I have bought one of the first batch. there subframe uses s2000 rubber mounts and custom brackets.

Note - If you are doing this swap the K power subframe will work too if you want to fabricate your own mounts, I'm just trying to make things as bolt on as possible for this early stage of the project.

This I still need to get

Turbo - My plan is here for G30-660 , Either a genuine Garret unit or a pulsar copy. I need advice on the fine detail here from you guys, but I might start a thread in the turbo section (after I've done a deep search). I'm unsure on the turbine housing size ect.

ECU - In an ideal world I want the following from an ECU

Control of engine
control of DBW
Control of traction control using speed sensors.
control of launch control (because why not).
Control of cruise control.
ability to use CAN Dash.

Having no experience in this line of work I can only go off what I see online and at the moment the Haltech elite 1500 is standing out to me as a front runner. I want to wire the car myself and they sell a terminated (ecu side) loom that I think I can manage.

Again, I need advice on the ECU side of things as I understand there are many ways to skin this cat. Maybe a wire in loom is a crazy idea and there are options better suited using existing looms ect.

Anyways all advice is welcome.

Gav.

· Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
10,384 Posts
To improve my data-autobahn-connection ;). Thanks for the update @RHD-MX5-K24, these pictures give a very good impression about the effort you are going to challenge. About the Turbo setup we already spoke at this thread: k24 G30-660 | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum, just in case if anyone is interested in. I really like the G-series, it has a better efficiency match on the absolute scale and on the K-series, but is still a rare seen turbocharger here compared to the GTX series.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To improve my data-autobahn-connection ;). Thanks for the update @RHD-MX5-K24, these pictures give a very good impression about the effort you are going to challenge. About the Turbo setup we already spoke at this thread: k24 G30-660 | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum, just in case if anyone is interested in. I really like the G-series, it has a better efficiency match on the absolute scale and on the K-series, but is still a rare seen turbocharger here compared to the GTX series.
Yea hopefully all works out :)

I need some help now from the K experts , I am trying to work out a list of connectors I will need for my set up.

I have a haltech elite 1500 and a wire in loom , DBW TB and pedal . so now I am trying to work out a wiring stratagey . ( my first time doing this FYI)

My text is in Blue
4 x Fuel Injectors I guess I pick these based on what ever injector I use
4 x Ignition Coil I guess I pick these based on what ever injector I use
1 x Idle Air Control Valve i think I no longer need one of these now but I will need a dbw pedal plug
1 x Throttle Position Sensor no longer need
1 x Manifold Absolute Pressure Haltech has a built in MAP port , so I dont need this anymore?
1 x VTEC Solenoid I will need this
1 x VTEC Pressure Switch I will need this
1 x IVTEC Solenoid I will need this
1 x Intake Air Temperature Do I need this?
1 x Engine Coolant Temperature I will need this , were is this positions on the engine
1 x Vehicle Speed Sensor from my gear box? Think I seen a speed sensor here when I pulled the box out
1 x Alternator what is this for? voltage ?
1 x Knock Sensor I will need this
1 x Reverse Switch From my gear box
1 x Reverse Lockout ???
1 x Thermofan Switch again unsure what I need for this?
1 x 02 Sensor where is this?
2 x Cam Sensor Im guessing these are two sensors at the rear of the head?
1 x Crank Sensor again I think I know were this is

Have I left anything out? is there a ecu loom building app to aid in design?

10,384 Posts
My text is in green
4 x Fuel Injectors I guess I pick these based on what ever injector I use - yes, setup of them is important, keep an eye of injection actuation according to the firing order 1-3-4-2
4 x Ignition Coil I guess I pick these based on what ever injector I use - based on what you use. Trigger and current control strategy (don't know the correct name for it in Engl.) need correct setup
1 x Idle Air Control Valve i think I no longer need one of these now but I will need a dbw pedal plug - right, just the DBW for the idle speed setup
1 x Throttle Position Sensor no longer need - correct
1 x Manifold Absolute Pressure Haltech has a built in MAP port , so I dont need this anymore? Yeap, connect it to the ECU
1 x VTEC Solenoid I will need this
1 x VTEC Pressure Switch I will need this
1 x IVTEC Solenoid I will need this
1 x Intake Air Temperature Do I need this? - Yes, as you should run it in speed-density fuel control with the MAP together
1 x Engine Coolant Temperature I will need this , were is this positions on the engine - head, gearbox side
1 x Vehicle Speed Sensor from my gear box? Think I seen a speed sensor here when I pulled the box out - yes, what you have, setup correct, ready go.
1 x Alternator what is this for? voltage ? - If you setup it, you can use it for sort of duty control, like the stock alternator voltage control was done
1 x Knock Sensor I will need this
1 x Reverse Switch From my gear box
1 x Reverse Lockout ??? - needed if you run a reverse lockout, typical for the K-series of Honda. Otherwise not needed.
1 x Thermofan Switch again unsure what I need for this? - Fan control, needed, setup correct it!
1 x 02 Sensor where is this? - your wideband, you really should read the Haltech help to do it right, this is very very basic stuff
2 x Cam Sensor Im guessing these are two sensors at the rear of the head? - yes, gearbox side above the ECT sensor, setup is very important for the first start!
1 x Crank Sensor again I think I know were this is

Please read the Haltech help manual or here: Haltech Knowledge Base (quite sufficient help manual), your questions show you have no challenge to start this, but be carefully, the Honda engine makes only fun if the wiring is done correct. I can guide you, but as this is quite basic stuff I recommend you reading upfront the functional descriptions to the sensor and controls, otherwise we sit here for some 10th of hours.

10,384 Posts
Thank you , I actually read this haltech information years ago and have forgotten it all :ROFLMAO:
The Haltech NSP ECU SW is quite a step forward, it was extended for the Elite series, coming from the Nexus stuff. Both, the old software and the new software for the Elite is quite easy to handle, a lot of guidance there. The wiring stuff is really important to do it right, otherwise you are going lost. Investing the time upfront is well done. My approach is to line up every pin with name, function, control purpose, sensor specification, sensor setup and connector style and description. With that, you won't get lost, even if you are an electrical noob like me. If you do it not, you likely get lost if a single issue came up.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder is there a generic K24 diagram/ electrical drawing out there I can use as a reference to start.

thanks for your advice , Don't worry I do understand the importance of getting this right and I will have someone look over my work when finished. I also wont be tuning my self , there very good honda tuners in Ireland so I will use one of those.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Automotive design

got engine stripped , replaced chains , guides and tensioner , new oil pump, adapter plate and pick up pipe to allow kpower sump to fit. 50 degree gear , seals plugs ect. car is more or less ready to accept engine now as the tubular subframe is fitted. I will try and get better pictures soon .

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

10,384 Posts

10,384 Posts
Very nice test marriage picture story. Seems to be a lot of clearance work on the exhaust side to get the downpipe fitted behind the subframe and in between the chassis frame. Are you going to customize an turbo manifold or do you have a MX5 kit, which already fits?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice test marriage picture story. Seems to be a lot of clearance work on the exhaust side to get the downpipe fitted behind the subframe and in between the chassis frame. Are you going to customize an turbo manifold or do you have a MX5 kit, which already fits?
Its unclear yet if I can use this manifold . I wont be doing the downpipe myself so need to talk with fabricator to see if he can fit wg / turbo / downpiple ect. The usual route for down pipe is to cross over under the gearbox ( there is a space were a 3.5" oval pipe will fit ) and then down the tunnel as the mx5 would normally have the exhaust.

It maybe end up that I need a custom manifold , the one I have now is designed for RWD K24 swap, generic fit. it would work well in a e30 or s15.

10,384 Posts
It maybe end up that I need a custom manifold , the one I have now is designed for RWD K24 swap, generic fit. it would work well in a e30 or s15.
Do you have a picture of it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts