Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember me, and my KR-X. I haven't been posting too much on here lately. Some may have even used my K series swap walk through guide. Anyway, when I left you guys last, the car was being taken apart to get repainted back at the end of 2006. Well in that time, I traveled across the continent to receive my Pro.2 front bumper I imported for Japan for the car to replace the knock off front bumper I had. It's all gonna be Mugen this time around. Then it went to my friend's body shop, well used to be friends. He swapped, and welded in my glass roof panel, and repaired allot of the body work. He was paid to paint the whole car, but it has sat at his shop more than anything. So this past summer I picked it back up, to work on it myself. I have since welded all the firewall holes shut that will not be used, shaved the rear cross-member, and welded the Hasport mount to it, and as soon as I can get it to work cage fab will start. It's getting a full NASA Honda Challenge legal cage, that I am building for it.

The initial build was okay. Allot of stuff, however wasn't done very cleanly, and with builds like Rywire, Chase, and Rey as influences it needed allot redone. Other influences, are Matt from ICB Motorsport's Mugen Pro.2 CR-X the J's Racing CR-X, Top Setup's CR-X, and the SS Works CR-X. Put all those cars in a blender, and what you get is what I am building.

So far things I have added, or purchased with intent to add are as follows.

Complete Mugen Pro.2 Aero kit w/ wing
Mugen K series Coil Pack Cover
Glass Roof, that will be covered with tinted lexan
Excessive Pro Series Intake Manifold
90mm Q45 Throttle Body
PIC Select Coilovers
ITR Non-SRS steering wheel (may sell and replace with Mugen)
Mugen Pedal set (just ordered this morning)

I also sent my mounts back to my friend at Hasport, and he had them anodized black, which is not available so don't ask, they don't sell black mounts, only through JHPUSA.com. He also installed the 88A durometer inserts that are stiffer. They should be arriving back soon.

I also plan to buy some Volk TE-37s for it, in bronze. I may change my mind, and go with a Mugen wheel though. I have not decided at this point. I also want to change my seats. I really want Mugen seats, but I am pretty sure they are not legal for racing, so I will probably go with some sort of OMP seats. There is allot of work to come. I also am redoing all my brake lines, and getting a Rywire booster delete kit as soon as he has them available. I am going to go with a 92-00 Civic half rad for my intake will be in half of the bumper opening to feed the Xcessive manifold. I

I know everyone loves pics, and I will get some in the coming weeks as work progresses. The car is currently snowed in preventing me from taking it to work, where I can do the fab work. Welder is at work, and I've got to pick up my tube bender from a friend's shop. So since I've no new pics, here the last pic taken, before it was taken apart. Note the real Mugen kit, with the exception of the front bumper. :up:

·
Registered
10 Posts
We'll I will be subscribed to your "KRX Re-Build".

Your build sounds alot like how I want to build my KRX, and so I have a few questions.

Is your knock of body kit the Wings West Kit minus the front bumper?
"This is the route that I will be taking" and use Vis Racing front bumper.

Also the jdm corner lense covers? Jdm or Custom?

I would like too know how the Jdm glass top comes out with the Lexan. I have been debating on wether I want to pursue that in my build because I plan on putting a (partial or full) roll cage.

But I have plenty of time since my build has been going on since I bought the car in 05' so anyways, Good Luck on the re-build!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Sounds good Bart, will it be at N16?
Are you gonna be running a 2 liter?
That manifold and TB are too big I think, that TB is like 2.2 times as big as the stock 62mm one.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good Bart, will it be at N16?
Are you gonna be running a 2 liter?
That manifold and TB are too big I think, that TB is like 2.2 times as big as the stock 62mm one.
I am not sure about N16. I still don't like passports with rfid chips, but maybe.

Yeah the manifold is way too big for the 2 liter. I just wanted to get it done, and on there to finish the fab work on the chassis. A newer bigger motor is in the works for 2011, but the first priority is to finish the chassis. So then it will just be a simple engine change, and retune. I haven't decided yet what I am going to do, motor wise, but I am thinking F20C crank, and a couple mm overbore to have a broad more usable power range for road courses. Plus I will definitely be using a 2 liter block, and the Xcessive manifold, may have to be modified too. One thing I will always strive for is to keep a JDM hood that closes without a hole in it.

We'll I will be subscribed to your "KRX Re-Build".

Your build sounds alot like how I want to build my KRX, and so I have a few questions.

Is your knock of body kit the Wings West Kit minus the front bumper?
"This is the route that I will be taking" and use Vis Racing front bumper.

Also the jdm corner lense covers? Jdm or Custom?

I would like too know how the Jdm glass top comes out with the Lexan. I have been debating on wether I want to pursue that in my build because I plan on putting a (partial or full) roll cage.

But I have plenty of time since my build has been going on since I bought the car in 05' so anyways, Good Luck on the re-build!
Yeah my body kit is all real deal Mugen, not a knock off. I originally had the setup, you speak of, but I sold it all once I got the real Mugen stuff. The WW/VIS setup is alright, but the Mugen stuff fits better, and is a good bit lighter.

The bumper lens covers were custom made from 1/8" tinted lexan, I will most likely be making a new version from 1/16".

The glass top install was a simple roof swap so far. I got the metal roof panel minus the glass from a friend for real cheap. I had no intentions of having glass in it anyway since it is going to be tracked. I will also be doing lexan in the hatch, and quarter glass, but the door glass will stay for the car will also be street driven. I may just buy the FAL window kit for the back 3.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Very nice I also admire the work from Rywire and chase. Your build will be right up there with them and I will have more inspiration for my ef hatch when I start the rebuild.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I made friends with a customer at work today that works for a steel supplier. I am now getting all my tube for the cage at 50% off. I get to pick it up next week. Right after that my friend from Hasport called me, and billed me for my return shipping on my mounts so they will be here next week too. I can't wait to see them. I'm going on a snowboarding trip this weekend, but next week I would like to get started making some progress. :up:

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got my mounts back in from my friends at Hasport. I'll post some pics up when I get off work. He hooked it up, I even got some pens, and a T-Shirt. Now I can put the engine back in, to mock up more of the fab work. The 88A Durometer inserts feel allot stiffer than the street inserts I had before. This engine, is not going to move hardly at all.

·
HONDA HEAVEN RIP
2,754 Posts
Glad to see you back in this bish!

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally got my mounts back from my friend at Hasport. First I had him get them anodized black, then super stiff 88A Durometer installed, and laser etched security markings on underside of each piece, I think he was bored, and wanted to use the laser etching machine. I really like the black finish. I polished them before I sent them out, and it made the finish look even better.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah man, it's been a long time coming. It feels good to be back working on it. Unfortunately I got shafted on my tube for the cage. It was supposed to be DOM tubing to be legal for NASA, but it was HREW, which is not legal. So I am on a delay now waiting for the proper material to come in. I've got allot of other little things to work on in the mean time though.

·
HONDA HEAVEN RIP
2,754 Posts
pump the brakes!

your not gonna run that hasport cable to hydro right! right! right!

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pump the brakes!

your not gonna run that hasport cable to hydro right! right! right!
Yeah, I'll be rocking it. I've always preferred the feel of a cable over a hydro setup. I guess I am just old school.

·
Registered
44,673 Posts
Yeah, I'll be rocking it. I've always preferred the feel of a cable over a hydro setup. I guess I am just old school.
Nah, it just feels better in that car man, the Rex never feels right with a Hydro.
Nice Pedals man, I need to get a set :up:

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nah, it just feels better in that car man, the Rex never feels right with a Hydro.
Nice Pedals man, I need to get a set :up:
Here's the part number. Call your dealership. Through my work I get wholesale price through Honda, and they were only $152. They are designed for a Fit, but will work on any older Honda with a little work.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts