Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was ripping it on the turnpike last nite, at 7800 rpms in 6th gear, idk how fast i was moving cuz i have no speedometer lol, and all of a sudden it looked like the forth of july behind me. my friends saw it too and they said it was coming from inside the muffler. for about 15 seconds a continueous flow of sparks were going everywhere. the first thought in my mind was F*CK there goes my motor, so i dropped it in neutral and cruised till the next rest stop about 2 miles down. we took a good look at everything and nothing fell off, the motor is running 100 percent, no knocks pings or any odd noises, but my muffler sounds like SH*T now. i asked around and 2 people said my magnaflow muffler baffle probably caught fire and deteriorated. my other friend said that cuz i have 3inch strait pipes that i will see this often at high speeds. so wat do u all think, has this ever happened 2 u??????/

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
shit that's somewhere around 168MPH

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
lol i have maxed out my 5 speed @ 153mph well it's not accurate i got an s2k cluster & still don't have speedohealer to match 100% & rpm displayed few rpm higher in my s2k cluster than what the engine actually is at.

I know that some mufflers have fiberglass or some kind of fabrics to dampen the sounds so in that gear your engine is under more load, your exhaust pipes gets hotter & the muffler is exposed to higher temps for a longer period of time so I'm guessing that fiberglass or whatever is inside the muffler couldn't take the temps & ignited.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my redline is 9k, its a swap into an eg. its not completely stock, jus bolt ons like exhaust intake and fuel setup with the fuel pressure at 40. i run kpro. and i was at 7800 for like 2 min in 6th wen it happened lol

·
Pepsi Soprano
1,365 Posts
dude it happens. did that 2 nights ago with my partner's car k24 reving to 9000 with a 5.06 fd and my old commuter motor in an eg reving 9200 with a 4.7 fd . we gave him the break he is in 6th and sparks are flying out of his exhaust . i though wtf , when we pass him he flashes the lights then calls me that the civic looks like my evo when shifting on methanol..
nothing is wrong with your car its just extra fuel that did not burn and fiberglass packing.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
yeah i think you're good too. K-pro adds fuel as your load/gears increase so in 5th & 6th gear there is extra fuel in the exhaust pipe unburned in the combustion chamber plus those pipes are hot so most likely that extra fuel ignited right at the muffler & that fiberglass is gone now.

·
Pepsi Soprano
1,365 Posts
yeah i think you're good too. K-pro adds fuel as your load/gears increase so in 5th & 6th gear there is extra fuel in the exhaust pipe unburned in the combustion chamber plus those pipes are hot so most likely that extra fuel ignited right at the muffler & that fiberglass is gone now.
only if you use the gear comp feature.

·
Registered
87 Posts
lol tell your friend to jump off a cliff.

jkjk. Your just running a but rich and a back fire probably lit the packing on fire. Now you have no sound absorbtion material and your muffler sounds like poop

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
I suggest people stay away from ebay mufflers! :up: dam fire hazzard!

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
I've had this happen. When you're turning high RPM at high load for a long time, your exhaust gets pretty hot. It can heat up the inside of the muffler until it glows and it can burn up the wadding inside the muffler causing it to fly out. I have two borla xr-1 race mufflers, which have stainless steel wadding inside, and they will shoot out sparks if I run the car hard on an aggressive tune (14.5:1).

If you richen up the a/f mix, it should help cool off the exhaust. Although, I've been told it looks pretty sick when the inside of your muffler starts to glow and is visible out the tailpipe. :wow:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts