Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,148 Posts
In the Champcar series we are limited to 18.1 gallons of fuel (2 gallons more than the OE tank), and we should be able to get 2-hour stints with that at most tracks. There are currently displacement blocks in the cell so it can't take more than 18 gallons. I can remove them for other series to get the full 22 gallons.
man 2hr stints would be amazing. 30 mins on a road course goes by so fast. so being able to be in the seat that is amazing. how about the tires, do you need to change them and what R compound?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
There are days when 2 hours in the driver's seat goes by fast, and other days when it seems like forever (when the person strapping you in doesn't plug in the cool shirt and it's 95 degrees outside).

Most endurance series limit tire choice to 200tw tires. I run 255-17 RE71r and they last 15-18 hours depending on the track. During a normal weekend we go through 5-6 tires, and during a 24-hour race we will use 2 full sets even with a good rotation schedule. We can easily change 2 tires, fill the fuel cell with 18 gallons, get a new driver in, and still have time to check the oil and clean the windshield during a 5-minute stop.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
DIY found some anomalies in the software that decoded the exhaust cam position sensor information, and also an issue with the firing order when using sequential ignition firing. The updates will be available in the next firmware update. My system now runs beautifully in sequential mode on a single ignition timing table.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,148 Posts
There are days when 2 hours in the driver's seat goes by fast, and other days when it seems like forever (when the person strapping you in doesn't plug in the cool shirt and it's 95 degrees outside).
Oh no forget to plug in the cool shirt 🤬 It gets hot in there. I prefer the open window policy in the winter here 38 degF @ VIR.

·
2002 DC5 Type S
1,148 Posts
A 24hr race and being apart of one sounds like a great time. A definite on my bucket list, and that needs to be taken care of sooner than later.

Blessed I was to be able to experience Brady Wooddell drive his 01 ITR SCK20a2 Hooiser R6 around VIR like a Cup Car. On the back straight he could wind a 4.3FD 5th gear to 155mph, then hit 6th to 162mph with my 200lb self in it. Full interior DC2R. We did this one trip in the snow where the only part of the track not covered in snow was the line and he was driving the same way lol... 40 years behind the wheel will do that. He sold the DC2R with 16,000 miles on the chassis. To buy the new Vette to road course.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts