Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
What's wrong with the throttle cable? I modded my honda APP sensor to fit my 240sx throttle cable as did speed academy for their throttle body.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
What's wrong with the throttle cable? I modded my honda APP sensor to fit my 240sx throttle cable as did speed academy for their throttle body.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The OE cable was too short to reach the TB. I ordered one for a later Supra model that's 5" longer. The barrel that inserts into the throttle pulley is a little too large but that's easily fixed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Dyno time.

After a few teething issues the K24 is running well in its new home. The torque curve is quite different than the inline 6 cyl!

I'll upload video of a run when I figure out how to get it off my phone :lol:

[video=youtube;k7UdSB87I6c]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Track day update: Road Atlanta 12-6-19. Video will be added when iMovie stops crashing on my laptop.

Executive summary:
1. The car drove onto the trailer under its own power after 5 sessions.
2. Oil pressure (65psi hot at speed, 33 at idle) and coolant temps (180-190) remained steady all day.
3. With a couple of clear laps during the final session it ran its fastest lap ever at RA: Hand-timed 1:43.9
4. The cars weighs 2340 lb with no driver and the weight distribution is 50/50. Now I have to find a way to increase front grip!
5. The transmission has a big gap between 2nd and 3rd gear that was not as evident with a torquey 6 cylinder.

Video of the 4th session: Never got a clean lap.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
First race weekend with the K24. Road Atlanta Champcar.

Executive Summary:
1. An AFR problem was solved and the car ran great.
2. I knew we were in trouble when the first driver indicated a low fuel warning light only an hour into his stint. The car stumbled coming out of T10 and he dove into the pits where Nobody was ready to fuel the car. Mike and I got suited up as quickly as possible and fueled the car (only 9 gallons), we threw a new driver in and somehow managed it all within 5 minutes.
3. The new strategy was 1-hour stints.
4. Through a series of lucky breaks (Red Flag, FCYs, terrible conditions) we managed to hover in the top 10, and even up jumped to third place late in the race.
5. We ended in 8th OA, 2nd in class B, and the car drove onto the trailer... WIN!!

A few photos from the weekend...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
It was a challenging weekend at Road Atlanta AER race. One week after the snow race at Road Atlanta we were back there again with America Endurance Racing.

A lack of oil pressure kept us from qualifying Friday. Fortunately I noticed this in the pits at idle. We spent the afternoon dropping the front suspension and oil pan to find that the oil pickup pipe that I welded together broke just above the pickup. Mike welded the pipe back together and we gooped up the oil pan - unfortunately it was difficult to get the surface of the block clean before installation and we ended up with an oil leak Saturday morning.

The good news was that we got 40+ laps in before the leak got too bad to continue. The car turned a 1:42.9 with me driving - more than 4 seconds faster than I've ever been around RA. That lap is somewhere in the following video. I can't wait to see what a good driver can do with it.

It may be time for Grumpy 2.0

Damage from a shunt in T1

Splitter arms - slightly bent

Balancing the damage f/r

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,771 Posts
The good news was that we got 40+ laps in before the leak got too bad to continue. The car turned a 1:42.9 with me driving - more than 4 seconds faster than I've ever been around RA....
These are very good news revvhappy! I really liked how the car is going in the video, where one can see the advantage of an wider engine speed bandwidth on power. Very good (y)! Sorry for your visit in the gutter and the damages on your chassis and engine. Grumpy 2.0 sound nice and made me curious what it will be :D?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I have a spare Supra chassis in my driveway. Now that the K24 concept is proven to work I'll start with a new chassis and incorporate everything I've learned over 6 years of racing. The engine, drivetrain, and suspension will be swapped to the new chassis, and a fuel cell will be added. The Supra chassis is strong and just happens to function very well in endurance racing.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts