Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i've been fighting this problem forever now and now i'm hoping someone has some ideas of what to look for. I've got a k20z1 turboed in a 05 civic with a plug and play aem ems. the car ran great for months until it overboosted and it started missing at 3000 rpms which got worse and worse until it didn't run for shit. I found a blown head gasket which i fixed and put everything back together. after i put it back together it still ran like shit misses and backfires runs super lean and wont rev up for shit. I've put a new fuel pump in and had my injectors checked. All my coils are firing i've tore apart the engine and rechecked timing checked my sensor that i could and still nothing. I don't know where to go from here. I've got 42lbs of fuel pressure on my regulator and the car fouls plugs out super quick. I don't get how it can run super lean and miss its ass off with fuel pressure and fuel fouling plugs. Does anyone have any ideas i'm lost from things to check and i just don't know where to go from here. I'm about ready to tear the whole thing out rebuild it again and start a new.

·
Registered
401 Posts
you have to check compression and do a cyl leak down! most likely you damaged something mechanical when it over boosted

·
Registered
291 Posts
Doesn't the AEM ems have a problem with the injector drivers? :confused:

If the compression/leakdown checks out okay, consider switching to Hondata :eek:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a compression check and a leakdown and its a little off but not enough I think to make it run the way it is. I hadn't heard of aem having injector driver problems that would make sense. I'm going to reflash the computer and load all my programs back up and see if something changes if not i don't know if anyone knows how to check for sensor errors on AEM or i guess i'm just going to tear the engine apart and big bore it with sleeves and start a new and hope for the best i have fought it for so long i don't know what do do anymore.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Doesn't the AEM ems have a problem with the injector drivers? :confused:

If the compression/leakdown checks out okay, consider switching to Hondata :eek:
What does the injector driver have to do with the EMS/Hondata? The Injector Driver is a separate unit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The leakdown numbers were like 20%leakdown into the crankcase. It has a plug and play aem ems in it not hondata. I reflashed the computer and reloaded everything and got my fuel trims to where it was running ok but still popping out the exhaust like crazy. I talked to aem and they said to watch and make sure the crank cam sync and they do that all my sensors are working and it runs better but just still pops like crazy so i don't know what else to look at. I guess i just need to see how far i can bore a z1 block get new rods and pistons and start with a new engine anyone have any other ideas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you have access to extra K series coils? Try swapping those out. I've seen them go bad. If you're running an AEM EMS I would suggest you talk to a local AEM Certified tuner.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know you didn't change anything w/ the map sensor...but MAKE sure it's properly reading vacuum and boost. AEM has a ton of map options. Make sure your exact map is selected in the scaler . Just something for you 2 check

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The map sensor is reading everything right and after reloading everything i set my a/f ratios good to try and get it idling right. I can actually rev the car up to a point now and it will rev up but its missing real bad i actually put a new map sensor on it when it started missing originally since it was such a light misfire. I think i've got a messed up cylinder i'm going to tear everything apart and just start a new sleeve it and go 88mm and get new valves. I've had small block chevys that i've pulled apart that have shattered the rings and thats what im thinking is going on I can't see it being anything else with a good a/f ratio fuel pressure and all my coils working.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts