Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a undergrad civil/ masters structural myself... who's studying, or completed Undergraduate or Master's level in Mechanical Engineering?

I'm working on a masters level end of semester project "Counteracting Lateral Sway in Pre-Stressed Asymetrical Beam" - i'm gonna make a finite element model of a big beam basically, with pre-stressed tendons to counter act lateral sway under load... well anyway.... it got me thinking.

Maybe mechanical students do little projects from time to time on whatever. I'm curious what kinda work you guys do. I got a pretty good idea of early level undergrad work.

What kind of upper level stuff you guys working on? :up::up:

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How about aerospace? A friend of mine actually went to get his masters in "race car" engineering over in England... how bad-ass would that be?

·
Registered
316 Posts
How about aerospace? A friend of mine actually went to get his masters in "race car" engineering over in England... how bad-ass would that be?

This is interesting.

I have a long way to go until I finish my B.S. in mechanical engineering but I am on my way.. This thread should be interesting.

·
F1 Junky
2,017 Posts
Any internships open at Mclaren or Williams? :silly:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Whats going on im actually pursuing my mechanical engineering degree at manhattan college...it's almost identical class for class to the degree Jeff Evans earned at Lafayette College. I want to specialize in Turbo Machinery and Mechatronics...mechatronics is the realtionship between mechanical and electrical systems...one day i hope to be a quarter of a tuner Jeff Evans is i found internships with AEM and Hondata soo hopefully something can jumpoff

·
Registered
709 Posts
Im not a big Engineer or anything but I finished school in January for Mechanical Drafting. Ive been working for big local sheetmetal company. Its a good job, but not something I want to do for the rest of my life. I get a few projects where I have to reverse engineer something. Those are the jobs I like to do. Id like to get into the automotive side of engineering or something similar.

·
Registered
294 Posts
ahh mechanical engineers...if only i could have been a little more book smart back in school i would have tried to go down this road lol...but one of you guys could design a nice bolt-in shift box for the k swaps as a project for a school project :D :up: ... none the less good luck to you students out there:up:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I graduated with a ME degree about a year ago and will be starting grad school in January. I'll be working full-time, taking 9 credits, two kids and trying to finish my car... it's not going to be fun. I'll by studying what I do at work, thermal hydraulics for nuclear reactor simulator benchmarking.

·
Registered
101 Posts
ME here, biomechanics concentration from Rutgers. Ill be graduating this December, and still looking for a job :silly:

If anyone has any leads for a position anywhere btw, my resume is readily available :rolleyes: (yes that was a shameless plug)

·
Registered
316 Posts
So any pointers you more advanced graduates want to give to the younger underclass men trying to get that B.S?

If there was anything you guys had to do over what would it be?

·
Registered
86 Posts
So any pointers you more advanced graduates want to give to the younger underclass men trying to get that B.S?

I would try and get as many internships as possible. If you could get a new internship every summer, that would be excellent. You get to see what the 'real world' is like, and really find out what you want to do.

What may sound really fun to you right now, you might realize that they're not quite what you thought they were once you get there. I'm very grateful that I had tried out a few companies before graduating, and only wish that I would have had the opportunity for even more internships.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

so many things come to mind

first and foremost. take a full class load if you can, or the most possible for your situation, none of this 2 classes a semester bullshit, you'll literally never finish.

take and pass the F.E. exam the FIRST time. don't listen to the hype, people who pass it say its easy, people who fail it say its hard. slight coincidence no?

i personally regret not knowing enough upper level math, differentials etc... during my masters, i found classes heavy on theoretical and derivations of where things come from the hardest. if your persuing a Ph.D... make sure your really strong in math, double major in math if your up for it, minor would help too, unless your just a genius :p

there is such a thing as a bad engineer, if your flaking threw classes... maybe your on the path to being one. work hard and just do the work, don't half ass it. i have people in my masters courses who shouldn't be there, don't be one of them.

trust me, the day you recieve your PASS on the FE exam, you're just gonna scrumple the paper up, throw it across the room, yell YESSSSS, then ****ing leap in the air, and you will feel like your in heaven for about a week.

def. get some internships, i myself got a job at a really small firm, then a middle sized one, i wanted to find a job at a large one as well just to see the differences. i even did some research for a semester to feel out the "thesis" idea, found out then i wasn't interested in doing it, but became friends with prob all the smartest people in my school, got a key to the lab, and thank god i did, gave me a place to study, leave my stuff over night, sleep when i pulled all nighters lol.

i think i got really lucky in that pretty much all i wanted to do threw college was be a bridge engr... and my first job was exactly that. i suppose not everyone was like me, and some, prob. most don't really know which feild they wanna go into.

somewhere during my masters was when i finally realized i new a lot of stuff, i think you learn more than you think you do, i TA'd for statics... and realized then that the stuff they were finding really hard, was mind blowingly easy for me, that's when i realized how far i'd come since undergrad.

and i'd reccomend everyone do a masters, you just don't realize how little you know... you take that first advanced mechanics course or whatever it would be... and man... lol... good stuff!

dunno i could go on for days.

stick with it, don't quit, don't let anyone else put the idea in your head (not even your advisor or prof.) its too hard, if they wanna quit, if they can't stomach the work load, let em quit

as me and my buddy use to say when we got behind for an exam or due date or whatever "this shit kinda makes me wanna punch a baby..."

Questions? Fire away, i'll think of more later.

·
Registered
86 Posts
take and pass the F.E. exam the FIRST time. don't listen to the hype, people who pass it say its easy, people who fail it say its hard. slight coincidence no?
That's true. You don't want to take that test more than once. I actually didn't study for the test at all. The test covers so much information that you either know it or you don't. As long as you've payed attention in your classes and actually understood the concepts that they were teaching, the test really isn't that bad at all.

I'm wondering how the PE test will be like. No one at my work has their PE license, so I think it would be a great asset to where I currently work.

·
Registered
14,748 Posts
I'm wondering how the PE test will be like. No one at my work has their PE license, so I think it would be a great asset to where I currently work.
Unfortunately a PE license won't do you any good where you currently work. Once you pass the first test you have to work under PE for 4 years then re-take the test.

Everything above has been pretty good, but best advice I can give is. Network! Network! Network! So get internships within your career field meet people, get to know people and you will use them in the future.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Unfortunately a PE license won't do you any good where you currently work. Once you pass the first test you have to work under PE for 4 years then re-take the test.
I believe that this is the case in most states, however I do not believe this to be the case in Idaho. They do require 4-years of experience, but not necessarily under a PE. The board decided on a case-by-case basis. At least that's what I've been told. I guess I'll find out in 3 more years.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Not sure why no one has mentioned Formula SAE. Some schools only allow this to be an undergrad project, but schools with better established teams tend to let grad students get involved in the projects. The scope of possible sub-projects is huge: traction control systems, aerodynamic design, engine design, data acquisition, and so forth.

peace,
russ

Attachments

·
Registered
14,748 Posts
Not sure why no one has mentioned Formula SAE. Some schools only allow this to be an undergrad project, but schools with better established teams tend to let grad students get involved in the projects. The scope of possible sub-projects is huge: traction control systems, aerodynamic design, engine design, data acquisition, and so forth.

peace,
russ
I did Mini-baja for a few years and my senior design project was centered around the frame where we designed it in PRO-engineer, did a structural analysis on it and then built it.

But forgot about that yes, thanks for the reminder, is spent many many hours and night working on that! How could i forget! :dance:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts