1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
i believe their is a guy on h-t making over 700hp ls-vtec with an obx lsd,over a year now.car goes to the track often.....i would get one......:up:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I e-mailed about their warranty. Last time I spoke with them, they hinted that the obx would have a lifetime as well...I know its a pita to tear open the tranny to get to the lsd, but if they are willing to warranty it, that should signal something....

incidently there is a dc5 lsd on ebay for $560 shipped right now... search dc5 lsd

·
Registered
254 Posts
drhonda said:
I'd rather spend more and get quaiffe. Quaiffe is guaranteed for life and i know a guy that has broken other lsd's with his turbo-lsvtec and the quaiffe is still holding up with no problems.
I have a friend that knows a guy that has a ant who has a kid that helped in the pits that talked to this other guy that knew a kid that said he blew up over 200 obx lsd!!!!LOL:wow: :D

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
There has been a lot of talk on the other forums about the obx lsd's. A number of folks have successfully used them in built applications on the street and drag, but I have not seen a single story/post/rumor of anyone using the obx in a road-racing application.

Then there were rumors regarding the warranty. These things do not have a lifetime warranty like a quaife. If you have a problem, then you have to take it up with the vendor that sold it to you.

Lastly, there have been a number of complaints regarding fitment. People having to machine their own shims to get clearances right with the obx. People have also had to deburr them to get them smooth/clean. There is also an issue with the placement of the bolts for the final drive. People have also had issues with axles getting stuck in the OBX units.

So for the most part, they seem to work, but there have been a *LOT* of complaints regarding fitment and finish.

·
Registered
383 Posts
K, well I just installed two OBX lsds into some turbo D series motors. My first time changing a diff myself in these. It was easy, took me <1 hour each time. A lot easier than paying a trans shop to do it. I'm sure it would be worse if you have to figure out the proper shims, but I think that some careful measurements and comparison to the stock unit should work fine.
As for the obx quality, we haven't had an issue yet, they work great. I'm sure I can also sell them to anyone interested through my shop, PM me if you need one, I'll get good prices, and I'll get the details on any warranty later today.
Either way, they are dirt cheap, and seem to hold up under power just fine. If you are spending the money to build a high HP car, buy a quaife. Then you don't have any doubts on quality or if it will handle the HP. If you are looking to get awesome traction in your stock or I/H/E modified car, why spend a grand on it. You'll be in $4-500 for the LSD and probably $200 for installation if you don't do it yourself with the OBX. You will probably never break it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EMAIL FROM TUNING DEPOT, OFFICIAL OBX DISTRIBUTOR:

lifetime warranty from manufacturing defects thru obx. we've never seen an obx come back from damage thru racing however.

I wouldn't take their lack of spelling and capitalization as meaning this is a less superior product....

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm just wondering who has reported breaking them? If you search ht and here, you wont find anything for broken obx lsd... So unless I see some proof, eh. Run it. Like my previous comment said, if you can afford the big build, buy the big lsd.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts