Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
I was looking in to getting a Carbonetics clutch type LSD for my track car. Upon doing soem research it seems that Carbonetics has dicontinued there LSD for teh US market becasue they said they had seen a good deal of issues with the factory powertrain.

It sounded to me like they were saying the LSD was overpowering the rest of the drivetrain and breaking axles and tansmission parts. Was the LSD just setup to strong? The distributor mentioned they had released a few with lower preasure intital torque springs and had some luck but they hadnt heard anything about a re-release.

Have any of you who have been running the clutch type LSD's and have put some miles on them seen any issues with the rest of your drivetrain?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I took this out of a friends k series trans and we have no idea what brand it is. no markings at all on the lsd. can someone help figuring out what it is. thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've recently bought a 'Gripper' LSD for my project, it's a plate/clutch type diff and they are known to be Very effective here in the UK. it costs around $1200 so not cheap but the quality is great and they perform very well..

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sorry not sure if I missed it but does anyone have the writeup for how to put a an LSD from a k20z3 into an 06 Rsx Type-S trans ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just adding more information to this thread. Here's some pictures of a Cusco RS 1-Way 45 degree LSD with 2 broken clutch discs. As of 10/28/13, the rebuild kit costs $267.

·
Registered
393 Posts
What kind of use and how many miles?
Not sure on exact use. Previous owner purchased a K20A-R from HMO and I don't think he knew the motor had this LSD. He drove the car roughly 4K miles with a few drag races and sold it. I picked up the car and replaced the LSD. I didn't even know this was a Cusco RS LSD until I did some resarch and contacted Cusco USA. Sorry I can't provide any more useful info.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
This is the problema with these Diff manufacturers, they want to advertise "more clutch discs, more friction surface area, etc, etc" But they don't tell you that they have to be thinner discs in order to fit inside and then the drive tabs start breaking from the torque.

Now if you're the "injurneer" type and actually do the math on the max torque slip the diff will see its easy to plug those forces into an FEA and see that those thins sheets they call clutches will go kaput when a driver puts the power down on a tight turn with sticky tires and uses left foot braking to get lockup.

Seem many of these like that.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Good thought there. I guess that's the reason why OS Giken actually have thicker plates. If I ever get bored and decide to yank my tranny out I'll do a comparo between the Cusco and OS Giken.

·
Registered
393 Posts
101 - 120 of 127 Posts