Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SC TSX 5 speed @ 5.3psi in a EP3 w/ 116 lb weight reduction. Me and the prelude were sitting a red light after some heated pulls back and forth
when we first incountered each other. So the light truns green, I smoke him through first, second, and out 4 car lengths in 3rd going 70 mph. The next thing I hear other than the loudest blow off valve ever has this ungodly hissing and overpowering engine rev, I look down at my tach and at 7000 rpm
I shift into 4th. At this point he is on my back bumper, and he had just shifted into 4th and again the hissing and ungodly engine rev he blows by me
at a 100mph, not as if I was standing still but passes me .I relized he was passing me and I couldn't do anything about it I backed off. His engine was so spun that it seemed like he had to finish his fourth gear pull.
I didn't mind getting beat because I knew he was running a whole lot more boost than me and juice. So when I caught up to him again I was in 2nd gear
and full throttled it right by him to show him I still had better throttle response than him no matter how much boost he wants to run.
Needless to say the rest of the way home I compulsively starting devising more ways to make power and how to improve my top end power.
Any suggestions to improve top end power with a roots TSX set up?
I guess if a had 250wlbs at the mid it wouldn't matter, huh?

·
Banned
15,815 Posts
Nice run anyway. You have to think about the difference between superchargers vs turbochargers..

On your supercharger, in order to reach the max psi you have to be close to the redline... Although there is a constant pull vs the turbo it is different. A supercharged and a turbo running at the same psi, the turbo will make more power everytime... speaking in general terms.. I think you racing a turbo + NOS car h22a is kind of aiming high.....

Do some research on turbo vs supercharger.. Both have advantages and disadvanteges.. Is you are looking for ultimate power, turbo is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks , but i understand the turbo vs SC powerband and power advantages the turbo has over the SC.
Can you shead some light on making the best from the roots set up I have.
I do not need ultimate power, I could kill that car on a road course, I am not that into drag racing as much as killer throttle respose and overall useable powerband.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
02sik24a2 said:
So when I caught up to him again I was in 2nd gear
and full throttled it right by him to show him I still had better throttle response than him no matter how much boost he wants to run
*cough cough* Ricer Flyby! *clears throat**

*agghh, something really is stuck in my throat**

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
nice race.

the fact is there are cars that are faster then us.

shows you what u need to do to get more power.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sure if I had 50 more hp, prelude no chance.
I want more boost but do not want to push the JRSC to its max limits, due to high intake temps. The next step will be minor header work, custom exhaust, 3" CAI, and retune. The exahust and header modificaton will raise boost a tiny bit.
Before the boost upgrade to 3" pulley, I need to make sure I am getting as much power to the ground as possible.
LSD
Tein SS
Tracklite 10lb forged rims/ tires
chassis reinforcement
weight reduction
tune suspension
If I ain't pleased then 3" pulley, hopefully an aftercooler will be in my future at that time, then I will get a 2.8" pulley instead of 3".

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do not believe JRSC has an aftercooler, Comptech has one in the works but their SC has a different intake manifold than Jackson. Their are some prototype Jackson aftercooler's already made for the Jackson RSX typeS. However the rsx has a different intake manifols than mine. Mine is the ep3 Jackson. I am sure a custom aftercooler for the ep3 Jackson set up would cost far more than $1000 and the Jackson rsxS aftercooler more than $1000.
The gains from the aftercooler are no where near 50whp, more like 25-30whp.
From my understanding the material, labor with machinary, and welding would far exceed $1000, that is why these aftercoolers for the Jackson Racing Superchargers are not into production. I believe IPS and Prototype racing have made them for their own R&D cars.
The m90 roots SC used on Pontiac 3800 has been swapped for the M62 SC on the Rsx jackson set up on some cars. The aftercooler for the Pontiac 3800 is an addtional $2400.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so the aftercooler he is developing is for the DC5 Jackson Manifold, not the ep3 Jackson Manifold like mine. Around a $1000 is pretty cheap. What guy is this?

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RSX_import_Ricer said:
Ill try to find his post... and shoot you a link... you'll have to create a clubrsx.com user name...
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=301280
No he dosn't have them available yet and hasn't even completed his own.
Maybe the guy hasn't gotten to realize how expensive it will cost to produce all the names on that list there and the turn around time.
Never the less starting ti wish I had gone Comptech.

·
Registered
919 Posts
what cams are you running? Nossy was pissed with the sc and the k24a2 cams, he went with s intake and r exhaust (maybe I got that backwards) in addition to using the vtc from the s with full advance... hondata said that was the best way to go short of having a set of cams made exactly for your application (I think edo is doing this as we speak)...

P.S. there is no way in hell to slap an aftercooler in an ep3 with the jrsc manifold

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sf-si-02 said:
what cams are you running? Nossy was pissed with the sc and the k24a2 cams, he went with s intake and r exhaust (maybe I got that backwards) in addition to using the vtc from the s with full advance... hondata said that was the best way to go short of having a set of cams made exactly for your application (I think edo is doing this as we speak)...

P.S. there is no way in hell to slap an aftercooler in an ep3 with the jrsc manifold
correct, the ep3 mainfold cannot hold an aftercooler. The DC5 JRSC manifold must be used along with some radiator housing adjustments.

I am still running the K24A2 cams, a cam upgrade is in the works. I have been debating the ITR intake cam, RSX-S exhaust cam vs. IPS-Sc cams.
I can get the ITR/RSX-S cams for around $620.
IPS cams around $1200, plus I will need retainers and springs upgrade w/ IPS.
I will have to wait and see how much difference in HP/TQ gain the IPS cams make compared to ITR/RSX-S cams for the dollar.

From what I have seen IPS not only makes good peak numbers, but overall
gain throughout the powerband, so it will be hard to turn IPS down.

·
Registered
792 Posts
02sik24a2 said:
correct, the ep3 mainfold cannot hold an aftercooler. The DC5 JRSC manifold must be used along with some radiator housing adjustments.

I am still running the K24A2 cams, a cam upgrade is in the works. I have been debating the ITR intake cam, RSX-S exhaust cam vs. IPS-Sc cams.
I can get the ITR/RSX-S cams for around $620.
IPS cams around $1200, plus I will need retainers and springs upgrade w/ IPS.
I will have to wait and see how much difference in HP/TQ gain the IPS cams make compared to ITR/RSX-S cams for the dollar.

From what I have seen IPS not only makes good peak numbers, but overall
gain throughout the powerband, so it will be hard to turn IPS down.

You should be able to do okay with the ITR / K20A2 cam combo. I assume you have seen Nossy's setup? The stock TSX cams are really poor for boosted applications. I've got the IPS cams coming in as soon as they are available and I'll be sure to post up as soon as I have them installed. Should be around the middle of next month when I get them in and tuned. :D

Definately upgrade the intake and exhaust too. The S/C really likes to be able to breath. Check with Chunky, he had a custom intake made it requires you to relocate the battery to the hatch area, but it gives you a fairly straight shot from the throttle body to the fender well area. He's N/A but airflow is airflow.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lucid Moments said:
You should be able to do okay with the ITR / K20A2 cam combo. I assume you have seen Nossy's setup? The stock TSX cams are really poor for boosted applications. I've got the IPS cams coming in as soon as they are available and I'll be sure to post up as soon as I have them installed. Should be around the middle of next month when I get them in and tuned. :D

Definately upgrade the intake and exhaust too. The S/C really likes to be able to breath. Check with Chunky, he had a custom intake made it requires you to relocate the battery to the hatch area, but it gives you a fairly straight shot from the throttle body to the fender well area. He's N/A but airflow is airflow.
In the next couple of weeks I am opening the exhaust to 3" straight and going to make a 3" CAI from a typeS fit...Retune
Nov 05 Tracklite 10lb rims
Dec 05 Tein SS and custom chassis supporting
Feb 06 LSD,cams,then custom 4-1 shorty header, and boost upgrade...Retune

I am saving the last bit of power adding after LSD, suspension work....No point in adding motor power if it isn't wheel power....right??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.