Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

After years of searching, I finally found a DC5 Type-R that fell into my pricerange (in the Caribbean(, and I didn't hesitate to pick it up. A previous owner has swapped in the intake manifold from the FD2 Type-R civic, which is a bit bigger and supposedly allows for increased airflow.

The entire engine bay is messy in terms of hoses, electricals and the use of tie-straps, and I'm trying to solve a very uneven (and high) idle. Car idles around 950-1100 rpm, and it occasionally jumps up and down about 400rpm.

Speaking to other DC5R owners, they suggested checking all of the vac hoses/lines for leaks, but given that this is FD2 swapped, I wanted a picture for reference just to make sure I'm looking at the right lines (and at the right number of vac lines too). The mechanic for the previous owner said he recently cleaned up the IACV, but I still have my doubts anyway.

Thanks for all of the help guys. I hope to be active on this forum as I try to improve this vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
The rrc manifold didn't have provisions for the k20a iacv port. Where the throttle body meets the manifold needs a small modification to allow the iacv to flow.

What vacuum lines are you unsure about? Between brake vacuum and evap canister there's no other vacuum lines attached i think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rrc manifold didn't have provisions for the k20a iacv port. Where the throttle body meets the manifold needs a small modification to allow the iacv to flow.

What vacuum lines are you unsure about? Between brake vacuum and evap canister there's no other vacuum lines attached i think.
Thanks for the reply Bjorn. I am just finding my way around the K20 as it's the first time I'm working with one. I am very familiar with the 90's honda engines (H, F etc) but just begining to learn about the K.

You mention that the RRC didn't have provisions for the IACV, but there is an IACV on mine, and there is an adaptor plate of unspecified brand. I'm going to have to take it apart soon to really understand what is going on there and by extension what is causing my crazy idle. I have been doing reading on the RRC and also the process of cleaning the IACV etc.
Is there an idle adjustment screw or anything like that on these vehicles (like my old 90s hondas?)

I figure my crazy idle could be related to
1. The RRC
2. Dirty IACV (which I tried cleaning on the vehicle last night, which I know isn't procedure)
3. Iffy upstream o2 sensor (which is carded to be changed soon)
4. Possible vac leaks. I plan to change the hose clamps on the end of at least check them with some carb cleaner to try to find the leak.

Personally, I'm not entirely sure why they went through the effort of fitting the RRC considering the vehicle isn't modded otherwise besides the Fujita SRI and a terrible terrible terrible set of coilovers which has it almost slammed to the ground.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts