Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
'03 RSX Type S
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested on your opinions on how well a stock k20a2 or stock k24a2 will handle long duration of higher rpm cruising (between 5k and 6k rpm). By long duration I mean 3-4 hours at a time. No significant elevation changes and minimal shifting. There will be adequate cooling. I'd rather not get into my reasoning for the inquiry... Let's call this a "hypothetical" question. Interested in your thoughts/experiences.

· Premium Member
6,805 Posts
well... i'm not sure how to answer this questions BUT...

my "stock" K20Z3 race car (intake, header, exhaust, stock radiator) does 45 minute sessions with no issues... and its ripping from 6-8.8k the whole time. I know plenty of endurance racing K series guys... as long as you are on a full size radiator i dont see an issue.

I don't see why your car couldn't do a long haul, even at those RPMs... I'm going to assume its a gearing thing... but i might look at a safe transit tune and then where every you are going, upload something more fun.

· Premium Member
'03 RSX Type S
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well... i'm not sure how to answer this questions BUT...

my "stock" K20Z3 race car (intake, header, exhaust, stock radiator) does 45 minute sessions with no issues... and its ripping from 6-8.8k the whole time. I know plenty of endurance racing K series guys... as long as you are on a full size radiator i dont see an issue.

I don't see why your car couldn't do a long haul, even at those RPMs... I'm going to assume its a gearing thing... but i might look at a safe transit tune and then where every you are going, upload something more fun.
Thank you for the reply. I forgot to mention there's 230k mi on the clock (k20) but recently rebuilt. To sum it up: let's call it a gearing issue and I will be at around 5,500 RPM for cruising speeds for 3 or 4 hours at a time

Edit: i will of course adjust the parameters in kpro to keep her out of vtec. Main concern is if i have the k24 in by the time I make this trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts