Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
updated post (but not updated since signalpuke quoted me :p )

Joe, I posted pics of the maxi-lite spec cards with & without the upgraded bolts. It appears pin end diameters are different on the card, lol I think it may be a misprint on my card as a .8660" WPC treated CP wrist-pin fits fine

FYI here is what can happen when you combine mis-shift + long stroke + lightweight (china) rod = stretched arp bolt & kaboom

Was this your rod??? What brand of rod was this and was it a turbo or n/a set up?

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Anyone has any experience with BC lightweight Sportsman rods? Part #BC6052

I don't plan to rev to the moon. I want my k24a2 to make it's peak hp around 7800-7900 and have a max of 8400 rev limit. I am just trying to take some weight from rotating assembly as much as I can and not spend 1-1.5k on a set of rods. I'm already going with a2 oil pump, type-r flywheel etc. Might as well change rods and have ARP rod bolts for more safety.

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
ALL 4 bangers are hard on rod bolts , thats why offy/ drake used 1/2 bolts on 1000 hp turbo engines in 1960. i even have seen a rod they made with 4 rod bolts @ 7/16 .. ubber bolted.. imagine 4 bolts on the big end!!

some bc rods offer 7/16 bolts as a standard part # now, the others , crower , cunniham have to make them ( 12-20 weeks ) ..
someone i know started the 7/16 bolt thing on my esslingers in about 99'. the fat bolt can be less costly and provide more clamp psi than any 3/8 or 8 mm does.

btw - pankl titaniums are 330 grams @ 6.125" ctc ( add to the list ) 1770$ each rod.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ALL 4 bangers are hard on rod bolts , thats why offy/ drake used 1/2 bolts on 1000 hp turbo engines in 1960. i even have seen a rod they made with 4 rod bolts @ 7/16 .. ubber bolted.. imagine 4 bolts on the big end!!

some bc rods offer 7/16 bolts as a standard part # now, the others , crower , cunniham have to make them ( 12-20 weeks ) ..
someone i know started the 7/16 bolt thing on my esslingers in about 99'. the fat bolt can be less costly and provide more clamp psi than any 3/8 or 8 mm does.

btw - pankl titaniums are 330 grams @ 6.125" ctc ( add to the list ) 1770$ each rod.

WOW, $1770 for each rod? too rich for my blood!!! Those are money racing rods!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Saenz custom 300m steel rods w/ 9mm ams5844 bolts (H-beam), for K20:

C-C: 144.2 mm
PE bore: 19 mm
PE width: 21.5 mm
BE bore: 51 mm
BE width: 20 mm
Total mass: 405 g (BE 303 g, PE 102 g)

Note: longer C-C, max RPM 10k, max WHP 450 (total), no PE bushing, and given piston/pin mass of 350 g.
Application is street with some racing. light boost. Oh, and cost is very reasonable, much better than Ti.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Makes you wonder what 330 grams of raw Titanium cost or the scrap value of a bent rod!!! lol... :)
Raw titanium or used alloy isn't terribly expensive. A lot of the cost comes from making the proper alloy with very low impurities and defects, not to mention the forging and/or machining. From here, the cost is nearly $10/lb of raw Ti6Al4V, but good quality material would be further processed.

Here's a nice overview:
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Matter/Costs.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Raw titanium or used alloy isn't terribly expensive. A lot of the cost comes from making the proper alloy with very low impurities and defects, not to mention the forging and/or machining. From here, the cost is nearly $10/lb of raw Ti6Al4V, but good quality material would be further processed.

Here's a nice overview:
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Matter/Costs.html
Thats pretty cool, Thanks for that info, it seems the price has actually come down significantly in the last 10 years or so, with a majority of the cost coming from the manufacturing, rather than the metal itself! With the price of gold and silver skyrocketing, you would think it might follow suit, but I guess it's a far cry from actually being a "precious" metal!!
:new_slayer:

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Lets keep this thread going:up:

When using eagle, scat or manley H beam rods, has anyone used the custom aged 625+ rod bolts with them? They're rated at around 265,000-280,000 psi IIRC, unlike the arp 2000 rod bolts which are around 220,000 psi.

I'm trying to decide on a set of rods to use, last part of the build, K24/K20. This is a true DD car with 09 TSX pistons, dc 2.2 cams, I/H/E and KPRO.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Lets keep this thread going:up:

When using eagle, scat or manley H beam rods, has anyone used the custom aged 625+ rod bolts with them? They're rated at around 265,000-280,000 psi IIRC, unlike the arp 2000 rod bolts which are around 220,000 psi.

I'm trying to decide on a set of rods to use, last part of the build, K24/K20. This is a true DD car with 09 TSX pistons, dc 2.2 cams, I/H/E and KPRO.
I think BC lightweight Sportsman rods #BC6052 could be a good choice ;)

·
Been There Done That
1,619 Posts
good thread. i too am looking for rods for a future k24 build trying to hit 300whp revving to 9k. true daily driven street car.

so far my choices are carillo pro A and crower maxi-lite

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
good thread. i too am looking for rods for a future k24 build trying to hit 300whp revving to 9k. true daily driven street car.

so far my choices are carillo pro A and crower maxi-lite
Good choices. I was also looking at the carillo Pro A but I'll be using stock pistons and def not looking for that much power. Was talking to Luke (Drag) and he recommended the Manley H-beam rod if you wanna do a budget rod :up:

41 - 60 of 66 Posts