Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi folks, not a lot has been going on here due to me ordering most of my fuel system from China and that whole Corona virus going around.

I've kind of been chipping the pound of emulsified power steering fluid off of the alternator in hopes that I can save it. Don't think it's going to happen but I've got time.

Also had some great junkyard luck. My compadre scored this sick boost gauge from a mk4 golf so it should just be plug and play... minus the turbo.

Got a clutch pedal. Curious if this will have enough travel to actuate the slave cylinder in the transmission.

Lovely Volkswagen. If you need to pull a brake pedal, you're going to want this tool. Of course it costs more than the brake pedal and you have to special order it.

So this was a fun learning experience. It would end up pretty much the entire mk4 line was drive by wire except maybe the 2001 mk4 jetta? I'm not sure because I pulled this out of a 98 Beetle. It mounts to the firewall just fine. Also got the cable! I think I'm going to have to shorten the cable and get a crimp on knarp.

Test fitting the shifter. Its from the 2004 Accord we pulled the engine and trans from. Right now I've got the transmission tunnel sheet metal drilled and tapped for 8mm bolts and it seems pretty snug. I've got to make a filler plate for the old shifter hole so I'll beef that up when we get there.

That's it for now! My 2005 Accord ECU is in the mail to get a KtunerECU installed since I don't have the original key and I need to bypass the immobilizer. I'd have done it myself but I have about a 50% success ratio with surface mount components.

As for wiring we had a hell of a time as the canbus and k-line wires from the ECU don't tone out to the OBD2 port. I think there is something in between them. Ends up I don't think we need the canbus lines and I'm going to just direct route the k-line wire. I'll keep you all posted as I get closer on that. Also does anyone know the best place to buy replacement engine sensor connectors? Like everytime we touch one it breaks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So it's been a fun week. The ECU we sent off to get the KtunerECU installed in had the right model number on the outside but the wrong ECU on the inside. I don't know why this would have happened but I'm a bit upset about it.

We got another one though. This one should be right.

Got the alternator really cleaned up. The only concern I have is A: its probably ruined B: look at the wear on that inner terminal. It should work for holding the belt while we get it tensioned out though.

Got the shifter hooked up. Currently holding one of them on with a bit of wire which will be replaced later on

Right now I've got it zip tied to the brake line but the routing is looking good! Should be able to use the stock bracket to screw it into the firewall out of the way of the exhaust.

Oof, so we made the grommet hole a bit too large. Nothing we can't fix in post though.

Last but not least we got this killer cold air intake from a 1.8t that should work if we ever decide to go turbo! If not it'll end up on my buddy's TDI more than likely.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Keep it up!!! We want to see more updates!!!
Ask and you shall receive!

looking good. like all the progress. its certainly moving forward at a good rate.
Thanks! Feels super slow to me though.

Started out by cleaning the tensioner. Yes, this is the clean pic.

First China part. A PQY tensioner. I've seen these go for a lot so I think got a good deal on it.

It has a little ding in it which is to be expected coming on a boat from another country. A little file work took care of the burr.

This side of the motor gets all the billet.

Belt on! You can adjust the PQY idler/tensioner? up and down to give you the correct tension on the belt.

I was reading @Nivek 's thread and they said this was the optimal tension. We'll see how much that belt stretches though.

I haven't been getting a lot done lately due to an unexpected sewage issue sucking up all my spare funds, but we do have some China parts starting to show up now! Stay tuned for maybe fuel, maybe fire, maybe a kitted up ECU...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So today's been a bit frustrating.

To start off if anyone knows about wiring, maybe you could help me out over here on the C251 connector:

I started off by wiring the alternator with the stock VW alternator cable. It is long enough and screws directly into the Golf power distribution box.

Got a China fuel rail. Nice thing about China parts is they never fit right. Took a dremel to the mount holes and its good to go now. I like that you can hide the wire in it.

Added the China fuel pressure regulator. I've seen people have good and bad luck with these so I'm not sure how long it'll stay on there. It'll be fine for now trying to get the engine to run.

Got our ECU back with the KTunerECU installed. Had an issue where the ECU wouldn't power on. Ends up I need to run pin 12 of the C251 connector to switched 12v. As for the rest of the pins I have no idea what to do with them. Now the ECU powers on and I can read sensors off the motor via the KTuner app!

Next up will be to finish the fuel system and make sure the fuel pump runs. Right now the fuel pump will kick in when you first turn the car to position 2. I discovered this by covering myself in gas while my buddy turned the key :)

At the moment I can crank the motor over but I don't get spark. I'm thinking its due to pin 13 on the C251 connector but that could be a red herring. If anyone knows, let me know!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi there, big news! We finished plumbing up the fuel system I hooked the fuel pump relay to the same wire out of the ECU as the main relay since they work almost the same the only issue is the fuel pump runs constantly at position 2. But...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looking good!

I'm waiting to see how the transaxle / CV / outer hub alignment & fit comes out :)

Wiring is a nightmare - mine was eay compared to yours as I had no bodyside complexity to bother with. Still, I did also mis-wire the fuel pump relay trigger wire & had to back trace that after the fact...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looking good!

I'm waiting to see how the transaxle / CV / outer hub alignment & fit comes out :)

Wiring is a nightmare - mine was eay compared to yours as I had no bodyside complexity to bother with. Still, I did also mis-wire the fuel pump relay trigger wire & had to back trace that after the fact...
I am a huge fan of your build. I had a Pontiac Fiero (not the best car in the world) back in the day and so mid engine setups always have a special place in my heart. We've almost finished the axles and alignment is actually pretty good. Odds are the ones we've made will blow up in the first 20 miles though!

Here's a little teaser though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm curious - what did you use to determine the correct length for the shaft? One of the reasons I went with the Honda drivetrain in my Fiat was due to the fact someone else already figured that shit out :D If I were doing it from scratch I would have gone with Volvo T5, since that's my background :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm curious - what did you use to determine the correct length for the shaft? One of the reasons I went with the Honda drivetrain in my Fiat was due to the fact someone else already figured that shit out :D If I were doing it from scratch I would have gone with Volvo T5, since that's my background :)
I went off this video from Hasport:
and then we eyeballed the heck out of it. Odds are we're too long on one side and too short on the the other side :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Things have been going well on the build and quarantine is helping us stay focused for now. If we end up getting sick that might change.

Started out by modifying the throttle cable bracket to accept the VW throttle cable adjuster.

Shortened the housing on the VW cable

Made a new end with some solder (curious if this will end up lasting)

We don't have a pedal stop for the gas pedal so I put a c clip on the adjuster to keep it from being pulled through the bushing.

Started on the axles. Boy was this the worst part of the build so far. I have no idea if they're going to end up working

To measure, we lined up the hole in the hub with the hole for the axle on the engine. Then we measured from the outside face of the hub to the engine. We measured the axle from the splines to the end. This should give us a bit of room when we tighten the axle down to allow the axle to compress if needed.

The sleeves we made didn't fit snug, so I did my best to eyeball it. Odds are in the future we'll get custom axles made.

All welded up

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Rinse and repeat. Boy this is a short axle.

The VW side of the clutch line has these stupid push to fit connectors so we lobbed one off and put on a 10mm x 1 thread pitch flare nut.

We lost the push fit clip in the yard so we used a small binder clip handle.

Used some extra AN line for a feed from the brake reservoir to the clutch master.

And the clutch works now! Hopefully it is disengaging enough but we'll find out soon.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts