Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured this was the best section to post this in, not exactly K Series specific so yeah...

I have plenty of electronics experience, after all its my job, calibrating and troubleshooting. On the other hand, I know next to nothing about mechanics.

Since Im looking to swap a K20A2 I figured itd be best to dig into my current engine system to get familiar with things before even attempting such a feat, I will have some help however from a friend that knows a bit, just dont want to be entirely useless, eh?

Would it hurt anything to just dig around, disconnecting parts here and there, reassembling them and such? I mean, just disconnect the battery and dont mess with any fluid containers? Maybe a few tips on what to stay away from and what I should be looking at more specifically that will help once the swap comes around?

Any advice I would be grateful for. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
I would leave the motor intact and just review the manual, unless your talking about your stock OEM engine you would be removing from your chassis.

We also sell a Kswap DVD, if you drop me an Email I can set you up with one.

Goodluck with your swap.

:up:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before I would go digging in. I would download the service manual for your vehicle and read it. It should have pictures plus then when you start digging in you'll have an idea what it looks like already.

Its kinda like reading a wiring diagram
Done. Crazy manual, thousand some odd pages. Will review this.

Thanks for the info there hybrid. Im the one thats emailed you about the parts and what not, will drop you a line about the DVD. And yeah, Im talking about the stock engine. Shouldnt hurt anything really...

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Done. Crazy manual, thousand some odd pages. Will review this.

Thanks for the info there hybrid. Im the one thats emailed you about the parts and what not, will drop you a line about the DVD. And yeah, Im talking about the stock engine. Shouldnt hurt anything really...
If you really want to play with your stock motor before you pull it to learn, do it to help you see how the engine reacts with vacuum and sensors malfunctioning. We get issues at the shop where a customer will arrive and have an injector not working, or a vacuum line off, or a plug not firing.
i say go for it.
Turn the motor off and disconnect a spark plug wire and see how it runs.
Play with the idle adjustment screw while the motor is running.
Pull a vacuum hose off the mani and see how it reacts, then plug both ends with your fingers.
Stuff like that, learning hands on, will certainly help you with future trouble shooting.

Look at the separate components on the motor as a circuit. Identify what the circuit contains, and what the parts do. :up:

·
Registered
504 Posts
I agree with what everyone is saying above, all are great ideas. If you want to try something a little less risky, with your newly downloaded service manuals take your tools and spend 2 bucks, go to your local junk yard and remove a set of cams or something, take a head off of some old integra or some shit, and even if you f somethin up it doesn't matter. Bring your mechanic savvy friend with you so he can give some pointers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice, Never really thought about unplugging something and running the motor, Id be straight scared that something would blow up... may try it thought. Possibly just sticking to motor off and tearing it down. Thanks again for the advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts