Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sedan is gone. Onto My first ever "EK" hatch.

I've lurked for YEARS, without committing to a k swap. Being back behind the wheel of honda, wanting to increase my knowledge, I've decided to finally give a k swap a try. This is my first K swap being involved a-z. Living in CA, I will be aiming to pass the state ref first with my swap. Power mods can come in the future. My car now, or was, a dual duty car. Family hauler by day and weekend warrior by night. Although I only made it to 2 road race events within the paste year, that's where my passion lies. I plan to get the car back on the road and get back on the track. The previous setup was a built LS non vtec with AC and PS. I plan to keep those amenities this time as well. For now, here's a few pics of what once was.

Here's her pretty side.

my favorite pic, of my car and I, at the track.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Sedan is gone. Onto My first ever "EK" hatch.

Life is filled with ups and downs. Just when I committed myself to K swapping the sedan, is when I lost it ( the sedan ) to a cause greater than myself. Long story short, I ended up de-jdm'n it and giving it to my brother in SLC. During the whole part out/reversion phase, I was able to secure a 96 Black Civic HB. Previously modified for K, but it was a clean title one. It was hard sourcing one of such rarity here in CA. I ended up finding it in OR and had it brought down here. I don't know why I didn't take many photos, but here's a small intro video I tried to put together using what footage I do have of it.

Cliff Notes: I have a fetish for black cars. I'm obsessed with the 96-98 front end on 2drs/4drs. If it were a coupe 99-00 is perfect. The 97 spec CTR in black is my motivation. Hybrid Racing has always been #1 in my vision of grandeur for a k swap. I've always been to cheap to do a k swap, but that ends here. LOL

·
Registered
660 Posts
GL on the swap! Life had other plans for my sedan and is now with a new owner also. I'm sitting on all my parts now trying to figure out if I want to start a new project. Maybe a K swap Datsun 510? Let me know if you need anything, all my stuff is just collecting dust at the moment.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the BlaiR hatch project...

GL on the swap! Life had other plans for my sedan and is now with a new owner also. I'm sitting on all my parts now trying to figure out if I want to start a new project. Maybe a K swap Datsun 510? Let me know if you need anything, all my stuff is just collecting dust at the moment.

Thank You!

Awee man, sorry to hear. Sometimes, loosing at the same time, overtime, feels like a burden was lifted. I think the K swap 510 is a great idea. I thought about K swapping my 260z once, but originality and the L series engines brings me back to reality. But a 510 is just a perfect platform. I'll DM you and see what you have left.

Here are a few pics I had dug up over text, pre shipping and post arrival day.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the BlaiR hatch project...

Current Progress. Stripping the bay for some fresh paint and stitch welding. I've also removed the USDM dash in favor of the EDM dash.

PS: CAN I REQUEST A THREAD TITLE CHANGE TO: "The BlaiR Hatch Project" Please and Thanks

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone has a general direction, life on the other hand may have it's own. I've been on hiatus because work has kept me busy and daily ride situations have been up and down. With a break coming up these holidays I decided I'd take advantage of my slow time to find out what condition my parts are in.

Everything happens for a reason, leading with that I scored this RSX shell w/ papers and loaded w/ a power plant of gold - not really but I bough the car for what people sell the superchargers for LOL

The teardown in it's early stages. I will be leaving the jrsc attached to mock it up to a k24 block and make sure there are no bracketed issues. If it all goes right, this will be my first K swap and first built K swap. I plan to do it all myself.

Engine/Drivetrain Plans Phase 1(suggestions, thoughts, advice, welcomed):
K24A1 Block
H beam Rods
Arias / Traum Pistons 11.1 CR
Balanced rotating assembly
deck if needed, lower C/R piston will be chosen
Type S oil pump
ATI Pulley
Tractuff Oil Pan

Head K20a2
Ported Head w/ polished combustion chambers - if the cash is there I may spring for coated chambers
Supertech Valvetrain
BC Cams
Port Match JRSC runners
Hybrid TB

Trans
Synchrotech Master Kit with Mfactory LSD
5.1FD is optional RN

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,684 Posts
Engine/Drivetrain Plans Phase 1(suggestions, thoughts, advice, welcomed):
What is the goal? Or better said what engine speed do you want to revv up? Does the K24A1 have oil squirters below the pistons? Which cams of BC you think of (engine speed range :wink:)?

Synchrotech Master Kit with Mfactory LSD...5.1FD is optional RN
All gears? I wouldn't use an 5.1 FD with that kind of torque curve you will get...you spend more time in shifting as in acceleration. Something with 4.1:1-4.5:1 would be better, but also depends on your redline :wink:

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the goal? Or better said what engine speed do you want to revv up? Does the K24A1 have oil squirters below the pistons? Which cams of BC you think of (engine speed range :wink:)?
Great set of questions.

My goal is midrange. I love road racing, low speed cornering w/ exit power is my aim. Max RPM I foresee is 8500. As for the K24a1 it does not have oil squirters. From my b series knowledge and those engines I've built, it's not needed so much with forged pistons as with cast.

Can I be wrong? heck yeah, it's my first go. But again, I don't think it will be a major issue. I am concerned with heat soak issues, that alone has prompted me to research electric water pumps. The downside is they were not engineered towards road racing. Maybe meth to cool it down?

Regarding cams - I am thinking BC stage 2 NA. I'm not chasing power, but drivability. Supercharger removed, I still would like the car to be fun and do mid range work, The SC is just a bonus for me, not a must.

All gears? I wouldn't use an 5.1 FD with that kind of torque curve you will get...you spend more time in shifting as in acceleration. Something with 4.1:1-4.5:1 would be better, but also depends on your redline :wink:
The 5.1 I've personally installed for customers and I love the acceleration. I do understand the constant ranging between gears but that can be compensated by tire size. I'm planning to use a Type S trans with an aftermarket LSD stock FD to begin with; If I find the need for a different FD, then I'd make a solid decision.

Generally speaking; I am open to knowledge and suggestions from anyone. I'd love to hear all fact based info. shared. As the build progresses and I will keep reading and trying to apply that as I go.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Worried about crossover fitment with the JRSC and K24/k20 engine, I had to get this k24a1 torn down and tested. After it's all squared away the head will be torn down for the port work and overhaul.

K20 head w/ jrsc mounted

Checking pulley alignment

these areas highlighted needed / will require changes. The images may be misleading but theres a 3-5mm difference in the tensioner idler and jrsc snout pulley that need to be fixed.

M12x1.25 overbore mod

in a nut shell, here's the end of the mock up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts