Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay first and foremost, I'm pretty new to working on cars, and on a whim I decided to K-swap my integra.. I pretty much have all the swap parts, and currently I have pulled the engine and will be starting to remove passenger side mount.

However.. I have a question regarding cooling.. I'll probably ask a lot of dumb questions here, so be patient with me. I've researched as much as I can, but a few things im a bit confused about..

What would be the least expensive, least modification needed, and have the most reliability for a radiator setup? I thought about going with an RSX radiator, but I don't currently have it and fear it would be to tall and there would be lots of modification to fit it. So i would have to remove the bracket/mounts or wahtever you call them and maybe lower them? I do have the OEM radiator houses from an rsx though..

Or I'd go with a half size civic radiator out of a 92-00 civic, but I heard there are cooling issues with that radiator, and I'm unsure how I would mount that also..

Ideally I would want to use a hybrid/tuned full size kswap radiator, but they're $400 and that doesnt help me in the least expensive department. I'm planning on making around 250 HP+ and my engine is far from stock.

Thoughts?

:thud:

·
Registered
494 Posts
im using a 02-05 civic si (ep3) koyo radiator in my dc2. running for 2 years no problems at all. no modifications to the lower radiator tabs and using upper oem brackets.

·
Registered
641 Posts
i ran a aluminum rsx rad in my dc2 with no problem. I just relocated one tab on the bottom.

Ive also used a ktuned passenger rad set up (no modifications at all)

and now a civic aluminum rad on the driver side with a spal 1710cfm fan (definetly not the cheapest option)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im using a 02-05 civic si (ep3) koyo radiator in my dc2. running for 2 years no problems at all. no modifications to the lower radiator tabs and using upper oem brackets.
Good to know, I wanted an option where I didnt have to move the bottom brackets, because I would have to weld them in? So an ep3 bolts right in then, interesting.. When you say using OEm upper brackets you mean the dc2 oem brackets, not the ep3?

·
Registered
494 Posts
dc2 already came with a full size radiator so the ep3 full size radiator installs into the oem location lower radiator brackets, the upper brackets will bolt in the oem location also.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
If you want to go aftermarket, CSF radiator makes a drop in full size radiator for EG/EK/DC2 that utilizes the stock radiator lower mounting brackets for all 3 chassis's thats competitively priced. check it here for details:
http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=26151&idcategory=99

one thing you want to be mindful of when going with an OEM radiator such as an EP3 or DC5 radiator is that if you ever upgrade to an RBC or RRC intake manifold, the upper water neck on these radiators pose a clearance problem to the TPS sensor on the throttlebody.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I run EP3 fullsize mishimoto rad on DC2 chasis, but I have quite hard time with lower hose connection... Anyone have some photos how do you connect neck to radiator? I had to use long 1m flexibile silicone hose... to connect like 10cm of distance...

By the way, i have fitted this full size rad to OEM lower tabs without any mods...secured with upper OEM brackets also without mods ;) So yes...you can run EP3 rad on DC2 without any mods...i just had to cut a little space for rad cap...

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
i run the ktuned upper rad hose with my ep3 radiator and k24a2 swap, i have a lower samco hose from a rsx type s that i trimmed to fit. works perfect. i liked the ep3 radiator cause it already had the mounting tabs for radiator fans. im using a dual setup and made brackets to hold the fans to the radiator. this is the fan setup im using http://www.maradynehp.com/products/jetstreme/mjs23.php

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If you want to go aftermarket, CSF radiator makes a drop in full size radiator for EG/EK/DC2 that utilizes the stock radiator lower mounting brackets for all 3 chassis's thats competitively priced. check it here for details:

one thing you want to be mindful of when going with an OEM radiator such as an EP3 or DC5 radiator is that if you ever upgrade to an RBC or RRC intake manifold, the upper water neck on these radiators pose a clearance problem to the TPS sensor on the throttlebody.
Seriously? Because that's exactly what I'm going to run. An RBC... sigh... Great.....

Anything I can do to get around that? I am going with a k20a2 tb. My RBC is not cut yet, to mock so.

·
Premium Member
15,548 Posts
mishimoto half size rad for 92-95 civic. drill out 'L' brackets for a/c, flip upside down and reuse for radiator.

daily driven, 0 issues with bleeding and heating.

you need 1 hose, which you cut in half to make an upper and lower rad hose. i forget the rad part # but its a gates hose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mishimoto half size rad for 92-95 civic. drill out 'L' brackets for a/c, flip upside down and reuse for radiator.

daily driven, 0 issues with bleeding and heating.

you need 1 hose, which you cut in half to make an upper and lower rad hose. i forget the rad part # but its a gates hose.
Problem is I already bought the rsx rad with some nice fans.. fml.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Do you know if ITR, CSF Radiator, K20Z3. which rad hose to use?
JHP don't have it listed anymore

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
A ver.3 of the CSF k radiator will be out soon.

rad hose wise, it depends on what head you have.
With a full size radiator and if using a Z3 or TSX head w/side mounted 45 degree water:

HR: HYB-RAH-01-03
Ktuned: K94-KIT-D

For a PRB style/Type-S head with straight water neck and full size radiator:

HR: HYB-RAH-01-02
Ktuned: K92-KIT-D

·
Registered
305 Posts

With a full size radiator and if using a Z3 or TSX head w/side mounted 45 degree water:

I was wondering why the csf rad disappeared. I wonder what's going to be dif about the newer version? I've seen koyo makes a swap rad specifically for the dc chassis as well. It looks pretty interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts

Thanks!! I placed my order with CSF 2 weeks ago (made to order). Do you know what's the new features on the v3 (same part number)? just want to make sure i'm getting i'm getting the newest version. Thanks again

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was wondering why the csf rad disappeared. I wonder what's going to be dif about the newer version? I've seen koyo makes a swap rad specifically for the dc chassis as well. It looks pretty interesting

I ordered the Koyo one, it's abit cheaper than the CSF. it doesn't work with OEM style fan shroud. no top mounting taps. so i went order a CSF (haven't receive it yet. i can post some side by side comparison pics later

·
Registered
305 Posts
I ordered the Koyo one, it's abit cheaper than the CSF. it doesn't work with OEM style fan shroud. no top mounting taps. so i went order a CSF (haven't receive it yet. i can post some side by side comparison pics later

Are you not going to use the koyo? I was curious about how it mounted and I won't be using a shroud just a couple 8" spals sitting on the rad itself.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts